Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in May 2020 introduced an Exposure Notification System, which was designed to let public health authorities and governments worldwide help people figure out if they've been exposed to COVID-19, and if so, what steps to take next to minimize the spread of the virus.

As the pandemic has waned, various governmental agencies have been gradually shutting down their Exposure Notification systems. With the expiration of the COVID-19 national state of emergency in the United States on May 11, 2023, the system is no longer functional in most of the over 30 states that had adopted the system.

Exposure-Notifications-W-People-and-Text.jpg

Exposure Notification Explained

Exposure Notification started out as contact tracing, an Apple-Google initiative that was announced in early April 2020 to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Apple and Google created an API that is designed to allow iPhones and Android smartphones to interface with one another for contact tracing purposes, so if and when you happen to be nearby someone who is later diagnosed with COVID-19, you can get a notification and take the appropriate steps to self isolate and get medical help if necessary.

Determining whether you've come into contact with someone relies on your iPhone, which, using the exposure notification API, interacts with other iPhones and Android smartphones over Bluetooth whenever you're around someone else who also owns a smartphone, exchanging anonymous identifiers.

Apple and Google developed the underlying APIs and Bluetooth functionality, but they did not develop the apps that use those APIs. Instead, the technology was incorporated into apps designed by public health authorities worldwide, which can use the tracking information to send notifications on exposure and follow up with recommended next steps. Apple and Google also implemented an "Express" feature that allows Exposure Notifications to work in partnership with health authorities, but without an Exposure Notification app.

The APIs were created with privacy and security in mind, and app usage is opt-in rather than mandatory.

How Exposure Notification Works

Almost everyone has a smartphone, which makes them ideal for determining who you've come in contact with. Exposure notification has a self-explanatory name, and in a nutshell, the feature was designed to send you a notification if you've been in proximity to a person who is diagnosed with COVID-19.

Here's a detailed, step-by-step walkthrough on how it works:
  1. Two people, Ryan and Eric, are both at the same grocery store shopping for food on a Tuesday afternoon. Eric has an iPhone and Ryan has an Android phone, both with a health app that uses the exposure tracking API or the Express Exposure Notification feature.
  2. There's a long wait, so Eric and Ryan are standing in the checkout line together for approximately 10 minutes. During this time, each of their phones is transmitting entirely anonymous identifier beacons, and picking up the identifier beacons transmitted by the other person. Their phones know they've been in contact and store that information on the device itself, transmitting it nowhere else.
  3. A week later, Ryan comes down with COVID-19 symptoms, sees a doctor, and is diagnosed with COVID-19. He opens up his Android phone, verifies his diagnosis using documentation from a healthcare provider, and taps a button that uploads his identifier beacon to a centralized cloud server.
  4. Later that day, Eric's iPhone downloads a list of all recent beacons from people that have contracted COVID-19. Eric then receives a notification that he was in contact with someone that has COVID-19 because of his interaction with Ryan at the grocery store.
  5. Eric does not know it was Ryan who has COVID-19 because no personally identifiable information was collected, but the system knows Eric was exposed to COVID-19 for 10 minutes on Tuesday, and that he was standing close to the person who exposed him based on the Bluetooth signal strength between their two phones, allowing the app to provide the appropriate information.
  6. Eric follows the steps from his local public health authority on what to do after COVID-19 exposure.
  7. If Eric later comes down with COVID-19, he follows the same steps listed above to alert people he's been in contact with, allowing everyone to better monitor for potential exposure.
Apple and Google also created a handy graphic that explains the process, which we've included below:

apple-google-contact-tracing-slide.jpg

apple-google-contract-tracing.jpg

What You Need to Do to Use Exposure Notification

Using Exposure Notification in supported countries on a device running the latest version of iOS requires opening up the Settings app, selecting the "Exposure Notifications" section, and then tapping on "Turn on Exposure Notifications."

exposurenotificationsios14.jpg

From here, your iPhone will let you know if an Exposure Notification app is available in your state, country, or region, providing details on how to download it. You'll also be informed if you can use Exposure Notifications without an app through the Express feature, or Exposure Notifications are unavailable in your area at this time.

Exposure Notification is a feature that's off by default, and actually using the API requires you to toggle on the feature and in some cases, download an app from a verified health authority. Many countries are developing country and state-specific apps that users can download.

Without explicitly opting in to use the Exposure Notifications feature, the Exposure Notification API on the iPhone doesn't do anything. Once you've downloaded an app and consented to using it, or consented to using the Express option, the Exposure Notification feature will become active on your smartphone.

Cross-Platform App Communication

Apple and Google have both worked to create APIs for exposure notifications that work together so iPhone and Android smartphones can interface with one another and you'll receive notifications if exposure happens even if the person you've been in contact with has an Android smartphone.

On iOS, Exposure Notification works on devices running... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Apple's Exposure Notification System Guide

Last edited:

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Ready for the flood of "not me" posts from people that barely read the title...

~ 81% of Americans own a smartphone, this technology CAN save lives. Apple & Google have done an excellent job explaining HOW this is done without compromising your privacy. If you own a smartphone, but don't trust the explanation around how this works, why would you trust that your phone isn't already compromising your privacy & security?

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Thanks Juli, I've been following this and trying to address misinformation on the forum every time an article about this API came up.

This is well written and accurate, and I encourage folks to read through it carefully to be informed about the way this system actually works.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Going to be a hard pass for me. It's simply too creepy. Along with drones in parks telling people to separate and being told no to go outside, wearing masks mandatory. That world is just too creepy for me to accept as the new normal. I just have pictures in my mind of the government coming to my house and treating me like E.T.

hourglass111

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Ohio Valley

~ 81% of Americans own a smartphone, this technology CAN save lives. Apple & Google have done an excellent job explaining HOW this is done without compromising your privacy. If you own a smartphone, but don't trust the explanation around how this works, why would you trust that your phone isn't already compromising your privacy & security?

Once again, it’s not a data/privacy issue, it’s an ideological/societal one.

I will not have my phone pinging me just because someone else has gotten sick. If I get sick, I’ll take appropriate measures. But I’m not walking around waiting to get pinged. In high density areas like a city, you’ll be at risk for getting more pings about COVID than texts from friends and colleagues.

To me, this is simply obnoxious; but imagine the people who already can’t handle anxiety or mainstream fear paranoia, how will they do with being pinged about their potential acute death sentence multiple times a day?

Furthermore, unless I end up in hospital from symptoms, I won’t be pursuing a COVID test because of how haphazardly it’s assumed I should suddenly be tracked. That’s a big NO. I was not opposed to getting tested until seeing how a positive test suddenly comes with all of these assumptions and implied actions to take next.

All of this is a red flag setting precedent for worse things. In the other thread I used the example of HIV/AIDS. That’s something that “should” have contact tracing, yet it does not. So far we can statistically say that people recover from COVID. Not so with HIV, which is a death sentence* on maintenance. So I find this COVID tracking supremely suspicious.

If you’ve got no problem with this, then get ahead of the curve you’re flattening and imagine a future where you’re pinged for passing a stranger with COVID … then passing one with HIV … then passing one with Herpes … etc. It’s all inappropriate.

The violation of privacy is not with the data (which I applaud Apple for handling well), but with the idea of allowing our health to be broadcast and allowing our personal devices invaded with pings from those who willy-nilly broadcast their health out of some noble sense of saving the world.

It would honestly make more sense to have no privacy and share everyone’s contact info. That way if you, Person Who Supports Tracking, pass me and get me sick, then I can sue your insurance to cover my healthcare to get sick. How does that sound? Just like with a car accident.

After all, contracting COVID and ending up in hospital in the US is more likely a financial death sentence than an actual death sentence. Statistically speaking, anyway.

EDIT: Corrected typo of not including the word “sentence.”

Last edited:

Mosey Potter

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2018

So. My answer is this. I don't carry my phone around with me when I am out and about in my community. I take it with me when I travel, but nobody is traveling right now. Why don't I carry my phone around with me even in "normal" times? Because, I don't trust that my phone isn't already compromising my privacy and security. Simply that. I use iPhone but have no doubts that even though Apple is better than the googles, microsofts, facebooks and twitters of the world...they are still tracking every step I take and every breath I breathe. Sorry not going to trust anything that GOOGLE is involved with. Never. If it was Apple and DuckDuckGO maybe I'd think about it for thirty seconds and then say NO WAY !
It's a shame that we have this amazing tech that could do so much to help us right now, but the lords of the tech universe have monetized and stolen every single byte of our data. So eff them !

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Not addressed anywhere I've seen...
If Apple and Google both push out updates to their OS to allow this tracking, are we then just tracking iPhone users? Because we've all see the graphs in Android % on new updates.
Where have you looked exactly?

"For Google, the update to enable the tracking tools won't be like a normal operating system upgrade. It will instead come through a set of tools called Google Play Services, which lets Android sidestep some fragmentation issues by pushing updates directly, without the approval of device and wireless partners. The company normally uses Google Play Services to update its own apps, like Gmail and Maps, and to push changes like a new app icon. The contact tracing tools will be available for phones running software as old as Android Marshmallow, the version of the operating system released in 2015."

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
'transmitting entirely anonymous identifier beacons'

We know now this is not possible in this day and time. Data will be breached.
Life's a bitch. Lives saved vs your nebulous and mostly imaginary fears of... of what exactly. WTF dreadful consequences do you foresee for this data getting breached? And if your answer is anything along the lines of "well I would have wanted my positive COVID status not to have been known", screw you. And if you have genuine concerns, feel free to balance that against the good of this kind of tracking.

They had far more aggressive tracking in S. Korea. And yeah the people there were tools and tried very hard to de-anonymize the data to publicly shame some of the infected, by S. Korea is doing pretty damned good right now infection wise. Sometimes the needs of compulsive zealotry must bend to the needs of people in the real world who simply want. Not. To. Die.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
So. My answer is this. I don't carry my phone around with me when I am out and about in my community. I take it with me when I travel, but nobody is traveling right now. Why don't I carry my phone around with me even in "normal" times? Because, I don't trust that my phone isn't already compromising my privacy and security. Simply that. I use iPhone but have no doubts that even though Apple is better than the googles, microsofts, facebooks and twitters of the world...they are still tracking every step I take and every breath I breathe. Sorry not going to trust anything that GOOGLE is involved with. Never. If it was Apple and DuckDuckGO maybe I'd think about it for thirty seconds and then say NO WAY !
It's a shame that we have this amazing tech that could do so much to help us right now, but the lords of the tech universe have monetized and stolen every single byte of our data. So eff them !

Great, then this won't affect you. For all intents and purposes, you don't carry a phone around.
[automerge]1588351388[/automerge]
Once again, it’s not a data/privacy issue, it’s an ideological/societal one.

I will not have my phone pinging me just because someone else has gotten sick. If I get sick, I’ll take appropriate measures. But I’m not walking around waiting to get pinged. In high density areas like a city, you’ll be at risk for getting more pings about COVID than texts from friends and colleagues.

To me, this is simply obnoxious; but imagine the people who already can’t handle anxiety or mainstream fear paranoia, how will they do with being pinged about their potential acute death sentence multiple times a day?

Furthermore, unless I end up in hospital from symptoms, I won’t be pursuing a COVID test because of how haphazardly it’s assumed I should suddenly be tracked. That’s a big NO. I was not opposed to getting tested until seeing how a positive test suddenly comes with all of these assumptions and implied actions to take next.

All of this is a red flag setting precedent for worse things. In the other thread I used the example of HIV/AIDS. That’s something that “should” have contact tracing, yet it does not. So far we can statistically say that people recover from COVID. Not so with HIV, which is a death on maintenance. So I find this COVID tracking supremely suspicious.

If you’ve got no problem with this, then get ahead of the curve you’re flattening and imagine a future where you’re pinged for passing a stranger with COVID … then passing one with HIV … then passing one with Herpes … etc. It’s all inappropriate.

The violation of privacy is not with the data (which I applaud Apple for handling well), but with the idea of allowing our health to be broadcast and allowing our personal devices invaded with pings from those who willy-nilly broadcast their health out of some noble sense of saving the world.

It would honestly make more sense to have no privacy and share everyone’s contact info. That way if you, Person Who Supports Tracking, pass me and get me sick, then I can sue your insurance to cover my healthcare to get sick. How does that sound? Just like with a car accident.

After all, contacting COVID and ending up in hospital in the US is more likely a financial death sentence than an actual death sentence. Statistically speaking, anyway.

Head in the sand. Got it.

And btw, it is telling you exposure time and proximity. But if you're the type where the less you know the better, then sure, this functionality is not meant for you.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I already stayed at home for 2 months, thanks Italy. Don't need any more nanny state or liberal companies trashing my privacy and rights.

Yes I read the specs. Yes I read the full article. No, no way I will willingly give up God given rights.

Please - given that you've read the article and so presumably understand how this thing works: which of your God-given rights are you giving up?

Kaizen

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
It’s encouraging to see many of the comments here are sceptical of this service. History shows that governments all all too happy to infringe on personal rights and liberties under the guise of ‘safety;’ the modern spin in our corporatocracy is that it is private companies who are offering these slick, well-marketed Orwellian surveillance systems. But make no mistake, it’s the same old fascism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.