Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Extended One-Year AppleCare+ Option Available for All Devices, Works With Subscriptions

gcooldude86

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone been able to add this to their iPhones purchased in the last year in Canada? I'm getting conflicting messages from AppleCare+ support, some are saying they don't see this change and some are confirming it. Also wanted to know if you can do the monthly plan from the start, or only after buying the AppleCare+ in full and after 24 months? Thinking of adding this before the warranty expires in late September, as iPhone 12 is looking less appealing by recent leaks

I would to know this too.

Comment

urbancity

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
Does this apply to Apple devices purchased in the last year or only new Apple devices going forward?

I have a 6 month old pair of AirPod Pro and a 3 month old iPad Pro but it doesn’t seem like I can apply AppleCare + to them.

Reactions: gcooldude86
Comment

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This thread is getting long so maybe I missed a post:

1A)Why not just buy my device and rely on my credit cards device insurance for accidental damage in the first year.
1B)Then, before the year is up, add my AC+

2) This must be USA only? Because here in Canada, there is no mention on the Apple store that I can wait up to 1 year

"How to get AppleCare+
Add it to your shopping bag during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPad.
Or buy it within 60 days of your iPad purchase:"

Last edited:
Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Needing to visit an Apple Store is kind of a bummer. If a remote diagnostic is acceptable within 60 days, why isn't it acceptable after 90?

I guess probably because shattered screens don't show up on diagnostics, but then they probably should inspect devices within 60 days too.
Yea seems like a bad time to be encouraging going to physical locations. What if no stores near you are even open? And I don't understand why you couldn't still add Lost & Stolen if you have to PHYSICALLY show the device to a Genius. And with the screen, couldn't they have sensors to detect a hard enough fall like on the watch. If those were ever triggered you have to physically go to a store. And that should apply from day one.

Reactions: mnsportsgeek
Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Can you name some credit cards that provide coverage for accidental damage indefinitely like AC+ does? My Costco/Citi card extends the manufacturer warranty to an additional 2 years beyond the standard warranty, but it only covers damage/theft for 120 days. AC+ for iPhone and Apple Watch is still worth it for me due to my occupation, but maybe there’s a better card. Genuinely curious, no snark.
Yea it definitely depends on usage. And usually if I would probably buy a new device anyhow, I will kill AC+

Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Some people like my wife are ruthless dropping their phones mutiple times. She’s killed or cracked every iPhone she’s owned. And that’s a lot of phones. At least 9 phones she’s cracked or water damaged in the 13 year iPhone cycle. She needs insurance.
[automerge]1597954481[/automerge]

That’s what I want to know.

I know if u wait till day 59 and get AppleCare. It’s 2 years from that date.
The article said if you bring it in to enroll with damage, you have to pay full price to repair first. The only question I have, is without the AC+, are you still covered for defects like you were when it was just regular?

Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Hey Captain Obvious, everyone knows the deal on extended warranties.
Oh and if you hadn't told us we wouldn't know about credit card warranties either. Wow.
Now tell us how an Applecare warranty does many things credit cards warranties don't.
Oh wait, we already know that too.
My one ? is how does the process even work with a CC warranty compared to taking the Phone to Apple, and getting a repair or replacement on the spot or overnight?

Comment

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
My one ? is how does the process even work with a CC warranty compared to taking the Phone to Apple, and getting a repair or replacement on the spot or overnight?

With the credit card warranty you pay for the repair, you submit a copy of the receipt showing what was repaired and how much, and the credit card company will reimburse you for the cost of the repair. This is how it worked for me with AMEX.

Comment

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
With the credit card warranty you pay for the repair, you submit a copy of the receipt showing what was repaired and how much, and the credit card company will reimburse you for the cost of the repair. This is how it worked for me with AMEX.

That is correct. Here is the tricky thing. I was reading through my CC agreement today and the sneaky turds had this in the insurance policy for mobile devices:

"Coverage ends on the earliest of:...the date the account is cancelled, closed or ceases to be in Good Standing"

WOW. So if I cancel my card, the insurance is also terminated. Read your policies folks - especially for those of you who are using cards where you signed up for the first year free and then have to pay afterwards.

Comment

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
That is correct. Here is the tricky thing. I was reading through my CC agreement today and the sneaky turds had this in the insurance policy for mobile devices:

"Coverage ends on the earliest of:...the date the account is cancelled, closed or ceases to be in Good Standing"

WOW. So if I cancel my card, the insurance is also terminated. Read your policies folks - especially for those of you who are using cards where you signed up for the first year free and then have to pay afterwards.

I just looked closer at the Citi Card extended warranty policy:
These benefits do not apply if Your card privileges have been cancelled. However, benefits will still apply for any benefit You were eligible for prior to the date that Your account is suspended or cancelled, subject to the terms and conditions of coverage.
If I understand this correctly, existing extended warranty will be in effect even if I cancel my card.

Comment

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just looked closer at the Citi Card extended warranty policy:

If I understand this correctly, existing extended warranty will be in effect even if I cancel my card.

I don't think so. The first sentence says it all - "These benefits do not apply if Your card privileges have been cancelled". The second sentence is just saying the same thing as the first - your benefits are good prior to your account being suspended or cancelled.

I just read another CC terms and conditions and I think this is a recurring theme with 'new' cards. If you don't have the card anymore, you lose all your extended warranties etc. Maybe the insurance companies were losing $$$?

Comment

zenntench_oni

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
I bought my AirPods Pro January 26th of this year and totally forgot to buy Apple care to it. is it possible to purchase Applecare+ If I just walk right in a Apple Store?

Comment

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I bought my AirPods Pro January 26th of this year and totally forgot to buy Apple care to it. is it possible to purchase Applecare+ If I just walk right in a Apple Store?
You will need to make an appointment with a Genius, most likely. You could get lucky though.

Comment

Namara

Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
East of the sun, west of the moon
Yup, when it’s EOL
Yes, and that's covered specifically in the terms and conditions in section 9 (using the US iPad Applecare+ Agreement effective 7-15-20 as an example):

"Additionally, unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may cancel this Plan for fraud or material misrepresentation, or if service parts for the Covered Equipment are not available, upon sixty (60) days’ prior written notice. If local law permits and Apple cancels this Plan for the unavailability of service parts, you will receive a pro-rata refund for the Plan’s unexpired Term."

Comment

UnusedLoginID

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
You are correct.
You are incorrect. As stated in the article - please read it - the coverage starts from the date of the device purchase. So if you wait one year to buy it in your phone, you only get one additional year of coverage.
Only exception is Mac since AppleCare+ covers 3 years

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.