Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Extended One-Year AppleCare+ Option Available for All Devices, Works With Subscriptions

Brian Cunha

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2020
It’s useless with Apple Stores “temporarily closed” in California. I know at least a dozen people who have a valid warranty claim but cannot get the replacement product because Apple requires customers to put a “hold” on their credit/debit card for the value of the product new. (Even though they are for sure sending you a someone else’s problems Refurbished). This is a denial of reality when so many are starving to eat. Even before Covid-19, most people couldn’t afford a $400 emergency. Apple thinks people just have extra money or credit lying around. Trillion dollar greed. I spoke on behalf of a few clients to Apple and they wouldn’t budge. File a complaint with the State and FTC. People really need devices that work with the fires and coronavirus. I am deeply disappointed with Apple.

Comment

involuntarheely

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2019
You are incorrect. As stated in the article - please read it - the coverage starts from the date of the device purchase. So if you wait one year to buy it in your phone, you only get one additional year of coverage.
Only exception is Mac since AppleCare+ covers 3 years
and how much is it if I pay for AC+ on a mac after 1 year?

is it the same price as it would be on day 1?

or is it 2/3 of the price given it will cover an additional 2 years not 3?

Comment

dehory

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
You are incorrect. As stated in the article - please read it - the coverage starts from the date of the device purchase. So if you wait one year to buy it in your phone, you only get one additional year of coverage.

"The ‌AppleCare‌+ timer starts from the date of purchase of the coverage."

"Coverage begins on your AppleCare+ purchase date."

Comment

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
No, YOU are incorrect. It starts from the date the AppleCare+ policy is purchased. So if you purchase AppleCare+ 364 days after buying the iPhone your coverage expires 2 years later, or 2 years and 364 days after purchase. You’ve been spreading this falsehood in both threads on this change to AppleCare+ and you really should stop doing so.

Comment

involuntarheely

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2019
No, YOU are incorrect. It starts from the date the AppleCare+ policy is purchased. So if you purchase AppleCare+ 364 days after buying the iPhone your coverage expires 2 years later, or 2 years and 364 days after purchase. You’ve been spreading this falsehood in both threads on this change to AppleCare+ and you really should stop doing so.
is it the same for macbooks? the macbook page on applecare+ does not say that it begins from the date of purchase of applecare+.

Comment

involuntarheely

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2019
It is:

1. The Plan

Coverage begins when you purchase the Plan and continues through, unless cancelled, the date specified in your Plan Confirmation (the "Plan Term”).

ok clearly it cannot start retroactively but that does not clarify whether it will last 3 years from date of purchase of the plan or will cover up to the end of the 3rd year of purchase of the laptop.
it also just refers to the price as appears in the sales receipt

so i still have not understood how much coverage is available at day 364 and how much it will cost...

Comment

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
ok clearly it cannot start retroactively but that does not clarify whether it will last 3 years from date of purchase of the plan or will cover up to the end of the 3rd year of purchase of the laptop.
it also just refers to the price as appears in the sales receipt

so i still have not understood how much coverage is available at day 364 and how much it will cost...
It will cost the same price as the AppleCare+ plan purchased for your Mac on day one, and will last three years from the date of purchase of AppleCare+.

“AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three years from your AppleCare+ purchase date and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax.”

Comment

involuntarheely

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2019
It will cost the same price as the AppleCare+ plan purchased for your Mac on day one, and will last three years from the date of purchase of AppleCare+.

If that’s true then that’s good! I guess the only way to know for sure is wait and try because I haven’t been able to find official docs on this.

Comment

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
If that’s true then that’s good! I guess the only way to know for sure is wait and try because I haven’t been able to find official docs on this.
Go to the Apple Store and buy AppleCare+ and you’ll see I and the Apple website linked above are correct.

Comment

drew.bowser

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Missouri

Earlier this week, Apple changed its AppleCare+ policies in the United States and Canada to give customers up to a year to purchase AppleCare after buying a device, and MacRumors has now learned additional information about the program that may be useful to those who want to know their AppleCare+ options.

AppleCare+ can now be added to a device up to one year from purchase, and this applies to iPhones, iPads, Macs, iPods, HomePods, Beats (minus urBeats3 and Pill+), AirPods, AirPods Pro, Apple Watches, and the Pro Display XDR. Basically all devices that offer AppleCare+, with the exception of the Apple TV, which already offers a one-year standard AppleCare purchase plan option.

For up to 60 days after the date of purchase of a device, AppleCare+ can be purchased using the Settings section of the iPad, iPhone, or iPod, via the Apple Support app, the Apple Support site, or Checkcoverage.Apple.Com for Apple Watch, HomePod, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Mac. It can also be purchased through a contact center or an Apple retail store.

After 60 days has passed (and before 365 days), AppleCare+ can be purchased by taking a device to an Apple retail location with a Genius Bar appointment for an inspection, which is required to get coverage after the 60 day mark. If a device has any accidental damage during the inspection, it needs to be repaired before AppleCare+ can be purchased.

Extended purchase options apply when paying for AppleCare+ in full up front or when purchasing the AppleCare+ monthly subscription plan. The AppleCare+ timer starts from the date of purchase of the coverage.

The 365 day AppleCare+ purchase option only applies to standard AppleCare+, however, and not Apple's AppleCare+ Theft and Loss plan for the iPhone. That can only be purchased for up to 60 days after you buy a device.

With the new AppleCare+ purchase options, customers can take advantage of their one-year automatic device purchase warranty and then as that warranty comes to an end, choose whether to extend the warranty with AppleCare+. Note, though, that the standard warranty does not cover accidental damage incidents. AppleCare+ covers accidental damage and allows customers to get their devices repaired or replaced for a deductible fee that varies based on product.

Article Link: Apple's Extended One-Year AppleCare+ Option Available for All Devices, Works With Subscriptions
So funny story, I called to add AppleCare to my 5 month old AirPods. They said I had to physically go to an Apple store. Well they have closed all their stores within 400 miles of me. Welp that’s nice...
[automerge]1600263462[/automerge]
Anyone successfully add this to their device?
Tried to add to my AirPods, they said I had to physically go to an Apple store.... and they are all closed due to pandemic. That’s fun.

Comment

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
After a couple calls to Apple customer service EVERYONE said it could not be added.

Comment

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
How? Did you physically have to go in?
After a couple calls to Apple customer service EVERYONE said it could not be added.

You have to go into an Apple retail store. Cannot be done online or over the phone. They’ll inspect the item and let you purchase the coverage. Coverage will last for two years from the date you go in and purchase the coverage.

Comment

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
You have to go into an Apple retail store. Cannot be done online or over the phone. They’ll inspect the item and let you purchase the coverage. Coverage will last for two years from the date you go in and purchase the coverage.

Can it be done monthly or only upfront?

Comment

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I did! And now I have two incidents per year after the changes today. Couldn’t be happier.

I'm curious what their tolerances are on the inspections. Do they let scratches and scuffs slide? Anyone else have any experience with their devices? I'm thinking going in to get my Apple Watch series 5 stainless steel covered but not sure if this scuff on the watch will disqualify it from being covered.

Attachments

• IMG_9816.jpg
    IMG_9816.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 18
Comment

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Let me know the outcome of that. When I called in Apple Support said this option did not exist.

I went to Apple and they said the monthly plan is only once the the 2 year AppleCare+ expires. (This is in Canada though). I ended up getting the 2 year plan upfront (Expires Sept 17 2022) and got a 10% discount on AppleCare due to my employer EPP. I can always cancel and get a prorated refund if I decide to upgrade next year.

Comment

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I'm in NJ and I went to the apple store yesterday and got AppleCare + on both of my watches that have the original manufacture's warranty that are set to expire in November and December. So both of them are now covered for 2 years from yesterdays date.

Comment

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I'm curious what their tolerances are on the inspections. Do they let scratches and scuffs slide? Anyone else have any experience with their devices? I'm thinking going in to get my Apple Watch series 5 stainless steel covered but not sure if this scuff on the watch will disqualify it from being covered.
The only way to know is to take it in and find out. That scuff shouldn’t be an issue and it probably won’t be but you might get an overzealous genius that thinks it is. From getting express replacements through AC+, via online, what they are looking for is cracked screens and high impact damage to the body that would suggest the device was treated with unusual carelessness.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.