Apple's Face ID Turns Android Makers Away From Under-Screen Fingerprint Recognition

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With its iPhone X debut and the introduction of Face ID, Apple has now tilted interest in the mobile industry away from under-display fingerprint recognition, and instead towards camera-based 3D sensing technologies as the ideal user authentication solution. That's according to the latest research note from respected KGI securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

According to the new note seen by MacRumors, inquiries by Android smartphone vendors into 3D-sensing technologies have at least tripled since Apple unveiled its TrueDepth camera and Face ID technology, which replaces traditional Touch ID fingerprint recognition in the iPhone X, set to launch in November.

[​IMG]
    Currently, the solutions available to Android phone vendors are said to be from Qualcomm and Himax, Orbbec, and Mantis Vision, with the more mature Qualcomm-Himax solutions attracting the most attention.

Kuo went on to say he believes the next two to three years will see shipments of 3D sensor-equipped Android devices to exceed those with under-display fingerprint recognition by a factor of two or three or more. This will be mainly due to 3D-sensing's wider compatibility with LCD screens than under-display optical fingerprint recognition, which is exclusive to OLED panels, said Kuo.

The KGI analyst also believes Samsung's continual dominance of the high-end OLED panel market over the next two to three years will mean shipments of under-display optical fingerprint recognition will remain significantly capped.

Regular MacRumors readers may recall that some reports claimed Apple struggled to implement under-display fingerprint recognition for its most advanced iPhone to date and instead opted for facial recognition as the exclusive authentication method as a result. In retrospect however, Kuo accurately contradicted that report shortly after it appeared, while well-connected Apple journalist John Gruber has also cast doubt on the assertion that Touch ID had been planned for iPhone X, claiming Apple had been "all-in" on replacing Touch ID with Face ID for over a year.

In an earlier report, Kuo said he believes it will take Apple's Android competitors up to two and a half years to replicate the functionality and user experience of the TrueDepth Camera in the iPhone X. He has also previously said that should Apple's TrueDepth camera prove to be popular with consumers, all of the company's future iPhones are likely to adopt the feature.

Face ID will become available to the public starting on November 3, the official launch date for the iPhone X.

Article Link: Apple's Face ID Turns Android Makers Away From Under-Screen Fingerprint Recognition

2. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

I Want My Touch ID and I will keep my touch ID.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Until you can't

4. BoneCollector Suspended

BoneCollector

5. fokmik macrumors 68000

You have it in every iphone 6s,7 or 8

6. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Very unfortunate, there is still a future to underscreen fingerprint sensors.

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

id imagine big tech companies like Samsung already knew about the tech apple was putting into the front camera well ahead of its launch no?

8. profets macrumors 68040

It's pretty impressive what they've done, and this won't be the first time. They first had Touch ID in 2013, and it showed how far ahead they were when Samsung rushed to add a fingerprint sensor in the Galaxy S5 the following year and it was nearly unusable.

9. navier, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

navier macrumors regular

navier

This is the next "3D TV", and hopefully ends soon.

TouchID forever!

10. NexusUser macrumors member

NexusUser

I can see this being a thing on the rear camera for AR, but not the front camera. I'm not looking forward to down grading from my current fingerprint sensor to Face ID.

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Maybe you should try Face ID first? Then decide.

12. ike1707 macrumors 6502

This warms the cockles of my old Apple heart.

13. fokmik macrumors 68000

FaceId is not a big thing just for iphone, it will come to ipad and imacs as well

14. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I would agree here. Apple made the decision well over a year ago to go with Face ID. I’m sure Samsung picked up on it along the way.

15. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

“Revolutionary”
    “Others are following”

Wait a second! I’ve been reading these forums forever and I thought Apple doesn’t innovate anymore. I’m totally confused...

16. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Let the market and though the people decide which solution wins.

17. diegov12 macrumors member

No.

18. ookladek macrumors newbie

ookladek

Windows 3.11 forever! :Roll eyes:

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

What do you expect? Everyone follows Apple in the industry.

20. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Except knowing Android device makers, they will store a clear picture of my face while also making that data easily accessible by 3rd parties because of the rush to market meant security was put on the backburner.

21. jamesrick80, Oct 7, 2017

jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Samsung's iris scanner (something that has remained exclusive to Samsung and keeps improving) and under the screen fingerprint reader can be a perfect match.

22. navier macrumors regular

navier

Because newer is always better, isn't it?

23. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

Many here won't like this news, seeing as they haven't even used Face ID yet & decided it's a flop...

^Another interesting thing to take out from above article.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

TouchID is gone. Just like the headphone jack is. Accept it and move on. There's always the 8/8 Plus (and older Apple devices) that still uses it.

25. ookladek, Oct 7, 2017

ookladek macrumors newbie

ookladek

Your correct! DOS forever!

Excuse me while I go into hiding from the future under a rock...