Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's first M3-powered Macs could arrive as early as October, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

m3-feature-black.jpg

Writing in his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman said sources tell him an October event will follow Apple's iPhone 15 series announcement in September, and the state of Apple's current product lineup suggests it will focus on new Macs with M3 chips.

Given that Apple launched new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models in January, and more recently new 15-inch MacBook Air, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro models in June, Gurman believes the first beneficiaries of the new M3 chip will be the next iMac, 13-inch MacBook Air, and 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Looking further ahead, new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with M3 chips are expected to arrive in early 2024, featuring M3 Pro and M3 Max chips, according to Gurman in a previous report.

The M3 chip is expected to be built on chipmaking partner TSMC's 3nm process, resulting in significant performance and power efficiency improvements over the 5nm-based M2 chip that Apple's most recent Mac models are based on. TSMC kicked off mass production of 3nm chips in late December.

Article Link: Apple's First M3-Powered Macs Likely to Launch in October

Last edited:

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Fingers crossed for a new Mac mini…
It's weird that they updated almost the whole Mac product line in the WWDC with enhanced M2s because the M3 was not ready, and that they are now ready to release M3 Macs in October... why the rush this WWDC? There have been WWDCs in the past with no new Mac announcements, I don't get the need for the rush this year.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Since I technically don't *need* a laptop now, this is the reason why I think I will wait until the fall to get one. And if these rumors are true, then once the 13" Macbook air arrives with the M3 chip, I will go hunting for sales on the M2 Macbook Air at that point. Fall/Winter seems to be a good time for sales anyway. So hope this rumor is true.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Nice, I’ve long been confused by the early 2024 rumours. October/November makes so much sense given it’s based on the A17 - just like the A14/M1 in 2020. 18 month cycles for X chips are well established.

Will be interesting how early in 2024 the Pro/Max chips appear. Feel like WWDC is most likely but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they come in a spring event. Might upgrade from M1 Pro -> M3 Max when the time comes.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
It’d be super weird to have the 13” and 15” MacBook Airs with different processors…
They created this hot mess by launching all kind of different products to target every segment. For example: The Mac Pro sort of makes no sense anymore with the Studio around. This is what you get of marketing is trying to create products aimed for financial gain only. Like SJ said, make great products and money will follow.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
I do not like that Apple uses that "3nm" marketing BS. Nothing about those chips measures 3 nanometres. It reminds me on the "1 inch sensors" that have a diagonal much smaller than one inch. Apple - like others - also cheats with screen diagonals, as it includes the rectangular corners that are not there.

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
It's weird that they updated almost the whole Mac product line in the WWDC with enhanced M2s because the M3 was not ready, and that they are now ready to release M3 Macs in October... why the rush this WWDC? There have been WWDCs in the past with no new Mac announcements, I don't get the need for the rush this year.
Those were M2 Pro/Max/Ultra.

This is M3.

Base M chips comes before the other variants.

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
I was planning to buy a base M2 MacBook Air to replace my M2 Mac mini but I think that I’ll wait a little bit

Reactions: Jamacfer

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Any chance the M3 will improve raytracing on the GPU, providing true hardware raytracing?
Real-time ray tracing is basically just for gaming, that isn't much of a thing on Macs, even on PC gaming is a possible and relevant option in very few cases, and it requires powerful GPUs (Macs have great integrated GPUs but only the high-end models can compete with recent Nvidia and AMD dedicated ones).
And I frankly believe that ray tracing is a brute-force solution to get good graphics that is still so vastly less efficient than traditional tricks that it'll take another decade to become a standard.

If I had to make a (very speculative) prediction, I'd go with raw power and say that Apple may consider that when their low-end chips are about as powerful as the weakest GPU where Nvidia put ray tracing, the 2060. Which according to benchmarks is about three times as powerful as an M2 processor. If the generational increment stays the same as M1 to M2, that may happen with the M5 or M6...

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Watch Apple put these in the iPad Pro’s and still only advertise 10hrs battery life like they have since the existence of the product line. Gotta push the slumping iPad Pro sales to give false hope to the masses again about it being a computer replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.