Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I think the answer is pretty clear: awful MacBook sales figures. Everyone knows the M2 was a lousy stopgap compromise (because of the abovementioned TSMC shortages). So Apple are probably hoping to spark serious interest in their new GENUINELY higher spec machines - to reverse the disturbing trend.
While those of us here care about those details I can absolutely assure you the average macbook air buyer is not pouring over the tech news on TSMC’s process nodes.

M2 is one better than M1 and faster is the main takeaway for most folks, also the redesign.

The lag is more because a *lot* of people updated to M1s during the pandemic, there was a lot of anticipation and pent up demand and sudden need for more computing at home, and have no need to upgrade now, and a lot of folks on last gen intel machines (like myself with my MBA) still have no need to upgrade. Most people upgrade in the 3-5 years block, we’re barely hitting that envelope right now for last gen intel and first gen M1 (and I’d bet folk’s upgrade cycles with M* chips are likely to be in the 5-7 year range - given how long Apple has been keeping the M1 around it’s not like support is likely to drop any time soon)

I’d be willing to bet that the next *huge* upgrade wave for macbooks will be with the M4 releases plus MacOS in 2025 since that’s likely when they’ll drop intel support

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Oh hey Gurman trying to be relevant again.

I seriously doubt this, because of one simple fact: The Apple Vision Pro is on M2. If they released M3 in October before launching the Vision Pro it's gonna sabotage what little potential sales the headset is gonna get.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Any chance the M3 will improve raytracing on the GPU, providing true hardware raytracing?
Not likely. M3 appear to be a good leap, due to the 3nm process, and given TSMCs problems producing it, I don't think they want the added complexity with this release. I also eagerly await RT support, but I think we have to wait until M4.
Hm, will they be 3nm then? I thought I read here that TSMC was struggling with this apple specific version of 3nm so it was going to be a limited run? Doesn’t sound like a chop you’d want to build lots of variations of.
Their inital 3nm node is reported to be at relatively low output (~55% yield rate), but they should have been at production levels since 2H22, and as Apple reportedly has booked the vast majority of the production through 2023, so they should have more then enough time to produce what Apple needs.
There is no way it launches with an M2. That was Apple marketing not allowing the M3 to be stated so people don’t stop buying other devices with M2 chips now knowing an M3 is destined by the start of next year. I would gladly put money on it. The Vision Pro launches with M3 and takes big advantage of the more efficient SoC.
I think you will be quite surprised when it launches with officially announced specifications, the ones which are also in the developer kits.

veena3

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2021
Maybe it could make sense in October that they release 30" iMac with M3 and replace 13" MBPro with new design 12.5" with M3 maybe called just Macbook?

• Wow

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Oh hey Gurman trying to be relevant again.

I seriously doubt this, because of one simple fact: The Apple Vision Pro is on M2. If they released M3 in October before launching the Vision Pro it's gonna sabotage what little potential sales the headset is gonna get.

Of course, another, simple "remedy" to this "problem" would be for Apple to say, "we upgraded the launching version of Vpro to M3" (or M4 or V1). All steps forward do not have to be held back if they are otherwise ready because one product is announced for "early next year" with M2. Or maybe M2 is enough horsepower to make Vpro work to its fullest potential as designed? And then the M4 version will have hardware upgrades to keep up with software wanting to push Vpro limits.

There is no big problem here. I would imagine the vast majority of new Apple buyers would have no clue of what CPU was inside unless it is really pushed in the marketing and/or used as a major point of differentiation in a store pitch. It is only a number painted on a chip no buyer will actually ever see. They could paint M36 on the next generation just as easily as M3. The Mwhatever in Vpro could easily have V1 or M68050 or whatever else painted on its CPU.

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
The no-news post.
We all know that M3 is coming on October.
- MacBook Air (should be both the 13" and 15")
- Mac Mini
- iMac
- MacBook Pro 13" M3? I hope not (Apple should kill this product right away)

Reactions: asdfjkl;

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I would be surprised if the MacBook Air gets an update to the M3 so soon after the initial release, especially since the device is selling so well. In order to ship in October or November, they would already have to be manufacturing them now.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Seems unlikely they’d speed bump the 15” air so soon, but other than that this rumor makes sense. The iMac is due. The 13” Mac book pro is a budget device meant for schools and such. The other thing that keeps getting lost for general consumers is that the base M3 isn’t on par with an M2 Max or Ultra. We don’t see the m3 higher versions till 2024.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
The report of M3 MacBook Airs launching in October is mostly speculation.

From Gurman's newsletter in Bloomberg:

"There should be another launch in October, I’m told. The likely topic based on past history? Macs. Now that Apple has gotten the 15-inch MacBook Air and new M2 Ultra-based Macs out the door, the October launch could feature the first Macs with M3 chips. October is too early for new high-end MacBook Pros or desktops, so the first beneficiaries of the new chip should be the next iMac, 13-inch MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro."

It sounds pretty indefinite.

Like some of you already mentioned, it seems unlikely the 15" MBA will get an M3 so quickly after being introduced with an M2, and it seems unlikely that Apple's MBA lineup would have a 15" M2 and 13" M3. Right now, the M2 MBAs in both sizes are selling quite well for Apple.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
It's weird that they updated almost the whole Mac product line in the WWDC with enhanced M2s because the M3 was not ready, and that they are now ready to release M3 Macs in October... why the rush this WWDC? There have been WWDCs in the past with no new Mac announcements, I don't get the need for the rush this year.

There were rumors Apple had to make product pipeline changes due to COVID. What they’re calling the M2 was suppose to be a mid-generation refresh of M1, but the TMSC 3nm production was delayed and Apple wasn’t getting total priority on chip manufacturing too. M3 was suppose to be M2, so I wouldn’t be surprised they want to hop into it fast. However, I think the Macs that were updated at WWDC won’t get these SOCs until 2024.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple's first M3-powered Macs could arrive as early as October, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Writing in his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman said sources tell him an October event will follow Apple's iPhone 15 series announcement in September, and the state of Apple's current product lineup suggests it will focus on new Macs with M3 chips.

Given that Apple launched new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models in January, and more recently new 15-inch MacBook Air, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro models in June, Gurman believes the first beneficiaries of the new M3 chip will be the next iMac
I called it 1.5 months ago

🤣

obviouslogic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2022
Any chance the M3 will improve raytracing on the GPU, providing true hardware raytracing?

It was rumored that Apple licensed Imagination's Ray Tracing IP and was supposed to be included in the A16, but there were issues implementing it in time. So, I believe the next generation GPUs should finally have it. Should give the A17 a huge boost in 3D rendering/modeling.

obviouslogic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2022
Wait! H
If they dont do an M3 Supreme, I wont even be interested. I want them to aim for Spaceballs level of ludicrous speed.

I'm also wondering if the new process node will finally allow Apple/TSMC to create this Quad-Max beast or if that entire scheme was just a pipe dream?

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
I think the answer is pretty clear: awful MacBook sales figures. Everyone knows the M2 was a lousy stopgap compromise (because of the abovementioned TSMC shortages). So Apple are probably hoping to spark serious interest in their new GENUINELY higher spec machines - to reverse the disturbing trend.
It wasn't shortages as the m3 Yield curve is no different to that achieved by other 'new' chips. Its more likely Apple having bought up a lot of the M2 production thinking there would be mass shortages, was left with a surfeit it wanted to use up.

I do believe the M2 was a stopgap though, which is why I never bought any of the devices and look forward to seeing what the M3 can do.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
It's weird that they updated almost the whole Mac product line in the WWDC with enhanced M2s because the M3 was not ready, and that they are now ready to release M3 Macs in October... why the rush this WWDC? There have been WWDCs in the past with no new Mac announcements, I don't get the need for the rush this year.
Shareholders and the stock market. Product announcements are like drugs for the monied class - they always need another fix so they can feel good about things again.

It’s dumb, but that’s the way it is.

asdfjkl;

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Makes no sense. Why would Apple do that? Apple refreshed nearly every mac in the first half of this year, only to refresh it a few months later again? Maybe there will be a M3 for the Air and the Mac Mini, but surely no M3 Pro/Max etc..
I agree. Air, Mini, and iMac will be the first to get the M3 and that could be this fall. Pro, Max and then Ultra versions will be 2024. I'd guess WWDC 2024 for the MacBooks and maybe Studios. Mac Pro, never ...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.