Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you are still hanging on to a Mid 2012 model of the 15-inch MacBook Pro with a Retina display, and require a new battery or other repairs, be sure to book an appointment with a service provider as soon as possible.

2012-macbook-pro-retina.jpg

In an internal memo today, obtained by MacRumors, Apple has indicated that this particular MacBook Pro model will be marked as "obsolete" worldwide on June 30, 2020, just over eight years after its release. In a support document, Apple notes that obsolete products are no longer eligible for hardware service, with "no exceptions."

Apple already classified the 2012 MacBook Pro as "vintage" in 2018, but it has still continued to service the notebook as part of a pilot program, subject to parts availability. With the 2012 MacBook Pro transitioning to "obsolete" status at the end of this month, it would appear that the notebook will no longer be eligible for any official repairs.

Of course, if you own a 2012 MacBook Pro, there is nothing stopping you from following one of iFixit's many do-it-yourself repair guides. Independent repair shops are another avenue, although many do not use official Apple parts.

In addition to being the first MacBook Pro with a Retina display, the 2012 model had a much slimmer design compared to previous models, after Apple removed the built-in Ethernet port and optical disc drive for CDs/DVDs. It still had a wide array of I/O, however, including pairs of Thunderbolt and USB-A ports, an HDMI port, and an SD card slot.

Article Link: Apple's First MacBook Pro With a Retina Display Will Become 'Obsolete' in 30 Days

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Looks like its time to retire my 2012 MBP, it had a good run.

This was the best MBP Apple ever produced imo

[edit]
Clarification, I'm retiring the machine, not because of the announcement but its not able to run the apps that my daughter needs. We came to that conclusion this weekend, not due to this news story

Last edited:

ppetrovic

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
So, it begins.

Reading this made me hug my 13" MacBook Pro Early 2015 and whispering to it how much I love it. It's been serving me well for over 5 years, with the screen and battery replaced recently, and given the recent messy developments in the MacBook Pro 13" arena, I think I'm gonna hold on to it till the very end of the support cycle.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
As someone who bought this machine within the first couple of weeks in 2012 as a poor college student who had just splurged on the previous year 2011 model, I have to say this was my favorite Mac ever and to me it represented Apple at its 'peak' as far as MacOS & hardware goes. It was a good ride for a few years until the 12" rMB arrived when QC issues arose.

I absolutely babied my 2012 rMBP and regret selling it on eBay about 2 years back. I just couldn't justify 3 laptops any longer :)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
The last of the real traditional Mac. The next major redesign brought soldered everything (storage, WiFi, etc)

Basically a modern Mac has a few components logic board, top case, display and occasionally a removable trackpad. If you don’t have a data backup and the logic board fails, tough luck.

RichardGroves

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
Just fired up my old faithful - seems it hasn't been booted since December. Battery managed to boot it, but then it reported 4% left, so a quick power boost needed...

Will update it to all the latest versions of everything, Time Machine it and put it back to rest. Lovely machine, got it the month of release but only the 8GB ram version, upgraded the SSD to a 480GB one a few years after getting it to get some extra life. Did a lot of work on that machine until a 2016 one and desktop iMacs took over.

natteaap

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008

I am going for an iMac and iPad combo as my usecase has changed. And as long as the iMac is not updated, I’ll keep my rmbp 2012. It’s still doing great apart from a dead battery.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Didn't realize you could still get a battery replacement from Apple on the 2012 15" rMBP. I have one that only needs a battery replacement to be a useful laptop, will have to get it replaced while I still can. I'm wondering if I can ship it instead of physically go to a store, though.

$199 is a bit much, but I think I'll get enough use out of it to make it worth it.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I am typing this on my "2012" although bought in early 2013 after a screen issue with the first one. It is STILL my daily driver, I have a 2015 (maxed out) that I use around the house and a 2020 16" that work provided to me, and yet the 2012 is the one I'm still running with. It is HANDS DOWN the best laptop I have ever owned and the best apple laptop I've owned in the past 30 years.

Yes, the battery only lasts 2.5-3 hours now, but it's on a riser and plugged in most days as it is. I know I KNOW I have to migrate to the 2015 at least, and certainly to the 2020 16".. but man it was a great run.

I'll probably do that in the next couple weeks (not based on this move at all) and sell the old girl, it should provide some good life for a home user for a few more years at least.

I have generate nearly 450X the price of this machine over the past eight years, it's one of the best returns on capitol deployed I have ever had.

Last edited:

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
The best laptop design. Not saying it with some kind of nostalgy, but because I'm still using my 2015 15" MBP a and I still don't think it looks dated. It's the peak of laptop design. If it had smaller bezels and little bigger trackpad (not that big as current MBP have) I would say you can't make it any better.

Touchbar? Useless... no SD card slot? Really? Cameras still using it etc. etc. I would love to upgrade, but in 2020 I don't feel the same excitement to buy 16" MBP as I felt when I was buying my 2015 back in the day.

Cyprusian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Northern Ireland

I think the same about my mid-2104 13" MBP - now vintage, but still going strong and rejuvinated with a replacement battery from OWC a couple of weeks ago.

I've got no intention of retiring mine.....

Last edited:

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

Unless your doing CPU/GPU intensive work or need HEVC decoding. There is pribbaly not reason to retire. Just get a battery replacement from apple and it will last another 8 years :p

I have a late 2013 and plan on doing a battery change once stores open up and will likely keep it for quiet some time more.

Reactions: russell_314

Neirin

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
London
I am typing this on my "2012" although bought in early 2013 after a screen issue with the first one. It is STILL my daily driver, I have a 2015 (maxed out) that I use around the house and a 2020 16" that work provided to me, and yet the 2012 is the one I'm still running with. It is HANDS DOWN the best laptop I have ever owned and the best apple laptop I've owned in the past 30 years.

Yes, the battery only lasts 2.5-3 hours now, but it's on a riser and plugged in most days as it is. I know I KNOW I have to migrate to the 2015 at least, and certainly to the 2020 16".. but man it was a great run.

I'll probably do that in the next couple weeks (not based on this move at all) and sell the old girl, it should provide some good life for a home user for a few more years at least.

I have generate nearly 4500X the price of this machine over the past eight years, it's one of the best returns on capitol deployed I have ever had.

Your mac made you $10 million? Nice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.