Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDL-Steven

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
My 2012 MBP i7 have been running 24/7 for the last 7+ years and still rocking. I have replaced a swollen battery and weared-out SSD after its 6 years old, which is inevitable, and lucky the 2012 MBP is totally serviceable. Now I am looking at the market with non-replaceable battery and soldered SSD - thinking my MBP 2012 may as well last longer than those new boys with premium price tag....

Reactions: NickName99

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Does that mean it will stop getting new versions macOS?

We don’t know for sure yet, but it would be kind of strange if the non-Retina 2012s received 10.16 and the Retina ones didn't.

I say this because the 13’ non retina model was sold until 2016.

Then again, maybe none of the 2012s will, but I suspect that’s not the case.

Either way, we’ll find out soon!

Reactions: raybo

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
It really isn’t.
OK - give us some examples of PC vendors that support consumer computers for 8 years.

I'll start - here's Dell's info: "Get the most out of your investment by fixing your hardware challenges rather than purchasing a new system. Dell provides quality hardware repairs for Dell Laptops, Tablets, Desktops and All-in-Ones that are less than 5 years old and that are no longer covered by a limited hardware warranty."

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
This would be mine. Still a fantastic machine. I always max the specs that can’t be user-upgraded, so it’s humming along fine. I’ll probably upgrade if the upcoming 14”/scissors/ARM machine is good.

servenvolley

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
South Carolina
I bought a 2012 non-retina in 2016 from Apple and I am counting on one more update as well. I think Apple goes 5 years past the last sell date with OS updates???

Wildsau

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Chiming in with my own heartfelt nostalgic love-in for my late-2013 15" 2.4 i7 16GB MBPr. It has been used almost daily since I got it, and has travelled to over 100 countries. It still feels like new to me. I replaced my own battery (that was no fun - you have to essentially take the entire machine apart) and my own SSD (the original one died but was backed-up - that was a quick, easy fix). Other than that, it has been perfect and continues to be the best piece of hardware I have ever owned. Like some other posters, I could easily justify "upgrading" but I don't feel any excitement toward the new machines and won't replace this one until it really gives up the ghost. I'm not exactly following why anyone would retire their machine just because Apple indicates it's obsolete. I will continue using mine and fixing it by myself (or paying someone to if required) until I can't use it anymore.

Also, a question for those balking at the "only-8-years-of-hardware-support" thing - what other manufacturers are backing up their machines from 2012 at this point?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Sad but not unexpected. Love my 2012 and it's just the base model. Only ever had 1 issue with it all these years and it just keeps on chugging. The 16" has my eye but just can't justify retiring the 2012 just yet
100% agree. Last week I took delivery of the 16 inch and am amazed by the few physical differences between it and my 2012 MBPr 15 inch.

It was really ahead of its time when it was released. My 16 inch feels more like a spec upgrade than a "newer" laptop. ?

The 2015 MPBr has been bullet proof and is the best quality and longest last product gadget that I have ever bought.

Reactions: planteater

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
The last of the real traditional Mac. The next major redesign brought soldered everything (storage, WiFi, etc)

Basically a modern Mac has a few components logic board, top case, display and occasionally a removable trackpad. If you don’t have a data backup and the logic board fails, tough luck.
Not true. MacBook Pro 2015 had upgradable SSD, OWC sells SSD upgrades for it.

Reactions: raybo

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
OK - give us some examples of PC vendors that support consumer computers for 8 years.
Consumer Hardware is EOL after maximum of 5 years, typically 3 years if you don't buy the premium stuff, only very critical BIOS updates beyond that. Even on servers and workstations equipment from 2012 is now EOL. That's why you get old servers from that era for nickel and a dime on ebay that are working perfectly fine.

Reactions: Tagbert

Somian

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN

I'll start - here's Dell's info: "Get the most out of your investment by fixing your hardware challenges rather than purchasing a new system. Dell provides quality hardware repairs for Dell Laptops, Tablets, Desktops and All-in-Ones that are less than 5 years old and that are no longer covered by a limited hardware warranty."

Obsolescence isn’t only about lack of support from the OEM. It’s also about how the product itself is designed.

You can take a 15 year old Acer laptop (that was half the price of said MacBook Pro), install the latest version of Windows 10 and also replace wearing parts like hard drive and battery using simple mechanical locks.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
A testament to the fact that it's never a good investment buying any of their higher spec models.

A testament to the fact that their so called environmental friendliness is utter BS. To the landfill it all goes in a few short years
It's a machine that's had official support for eight years - I'm sure there will be very few other manufacturers close to that length of time for a single model.

Also, when your machine eventually does die (as everything will), you can take it to an Apple Store where it can be maybe used as credit towards a new machine, and / or taken to be recycled. If I remember correctly too, Apple will also accept non-Apple devices for recycling.

If you are putting devices to landfill: you are the problem. Not Apple, or any other electronics company.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
100% agree. Last week I took delivery of the 16 inch and am amazed by the few physical differences between it and my 2012 MBPr 15 inch.

It was really ahead of its time when it was released. My 16 inch feels more like a spec upgrade than a "newer" laptop. ?

The 2015 MPBr has been bullet proof and is the best quality and longest last product gadget that I have ever bought.

I disagree, it wasn't ahead of its time, it had all a laptop needs.
There isn't a lot of innovation over the last (8) years, Intel dropped the ball big time, most people get by on a laptop like the 2012 model, most don't need the extra 30% percent or so that CPU's got faster.
I am using a 2012 MM and a 2012 MBP(Non retina), both are more or less the same internally(Upgraded RAM and SSD), they chuck along, only minor inconvenience is the Graphic card, I can live with that.
The few things which got significantly faster is SSD and the Thunderbolt port, that's it.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Looks like its time to retire my 2012 MBP, it had a good run.

This was the best MBP Apple ever produced imo
I always felt like the GPU was underpowered on that first rev. The spec bumped it pretty soon after if I recall correctly.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
I remember the rMBP launch at WWDC as if it were yesterday..still the best MBP out there, and I will be keeping my 2015 until it gives in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.