Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
What's the use of a system status page that isn't up to date? Silly and pointless.
The other side is you have a system status page that details all the issues you're having in a subset of your users and people think its crap. Other services over-divulge issues that may only happen to one user and people kill them for it.

This isn't an excuse. I'm not a fan of how secretive Apple is regarding issues they fix. Their change logs are getting sillier and sillier with how little info they give.
what's really going on with all these outages
Likely an internal upgrade of something isn't going as expected.

Reactions: scrapesleon

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
It's not just iCloud. Our company project management software Monday.com is down also. Check downdetector.com.

Microsoft Teams, UPS, BMO Bank and some others were all hit.

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
Hmmm. I've been considering switching to iCloud Mail with a custom domain recently, but this is giving me second thoughts.
I think people are really blowing this out of proportion. I've been using iCloud Mail ever since it was released (I joined when it was in beta in Summer of 2011), and I've had maybe 3 or 4 outage problems in all that time. Apple Music went down for 27 minutes yesterday, and a few services are out today for a little bit. It's really not a big deal.

iCloud mail is one of the best services I've ever used from Apple. I hated all the others I've used over the years (Yahoo, Gmail, RoadRunner, and others I can't remember).

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It's not just iCloud. Our company project management software Monday.com is down also. Check downdetector.com.

Microsoft Teams, UPS, BMO Bank and some others were all hit.

There are a lot of big named companies on the site right now experiencing an outage... I wonder if there is something out like a webservice or network provider. iCloud is still up for me... for now.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Hmmm. I've been considering switching to iCloud Mail with a custom domain recently, but this is giving me second thoughts.
FWIW, I've been using a Custom Domain for our Bandcamp page that I have verified with my Mastodon Account, it all works great! This is the first outage I've seen like this in many years.

Reactions: boss.king

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I think people are really blowing this out of proportion. I've been using iCloud Mail ever since it was released (I joined when it was in beta in Summer of 2011), and I've had maybe 3 or 4 outage problems in all that time. Apple Music went down for 27 minutes yesterday, and a few services are out today for a little bit. It's really not a big deal.

iCloud mail is one of the best services I've ever used from Apple. I hated all the others I've used over the years (Yahoo, Gmail, RoadRunner, and others I can't remember).
I don't think it's that unreasonable to want your email provider to not go down. I can't remember the last time I was affected by a Gmail outage (not saying there haven't been any, just none that I've been affected by). On top of that are the numerous reports of people's mail being over-zealously filtered by iCloud Mail behind the scenes, so some emails might just never show up with no way to know or resolve the issue.

I'm willing to put up with a certain amount of instability for a cheap email provider, but there comes a point where I wonder if sticking with Gmail and its flaws is the more stable of the two options.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
FWIW, I've been using a Custom Domain for our Bandcamp page that I have verified with my Mastodon Account, it all works great! This is the first outage I've seen like this in many years.
Have you had any issues with emails just not arriving/being silently filtered out? It seems to be a somewhat widespread issue but I can't find anything that pinpoints an exact cause or resolution.

Reactions: Stenik

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
I don't think it's that unreasonable to want your email provider to not go down. I can't remember the last time I was affected by a Gmail outage (not saying there haven't been any, just none that I've been affected by). On top of that are the numerous reports of people's mail being over-zealously filtered by iCloud Mail behind the scenes, so some emails might just never show up with no way to know or resolve the issue.

I'm willing to put up with a certain amount of instability for a cheap email provider, but there comes a point where I wonder if sticking with Gmail and its flaws is the more stable of the two options.
I never said it's unreasonable to want it to not go down, and I don't like it going down, but like I said, I've had a small handful of problems in almost 13 years. I think that's reasonable. I have not had any over zealous filtering issues either. I've always received all my emails. Some may go to junk like any other email, but that's all.

Are you seeing it reported as down frequently or something? I have not seen, nor experienced that, in the time I have used iCloud email....except for the few times I mentioned.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Have you had any issues with emails just not arriving/being silently filtered out? It seems to be a somewhat widespread issue but I can't find anything that pinpoints an exact cause or resolution.
Honestly, no? But I don't get a lot of email traffic thru that account. I've never had that issue, though.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I never said it's unreasonable to want it to not go down, and I don't like it going down, but like I said, I've had a small handful of problems in almost 13 years. I think that's reasonable. I have not had any over zealous filtering issues either. I've always received all my emails. Some may go to junk like any other email, but that's all.

Are you seeing it reported as down frequently or something? I have not seen, nor experienced that, in the time I have used iCloud email....except for the few times I mentioned.
I've seen Apple have a lot of outages over the last year or so. Not specifically always mail outages, but enough that it makes me question how stable their infrastructure is.

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
Honestly, no? But I don't get a lot of email traffic thru that account. I've never had that issue, though.
I haven't either. And iCloud is all I've used since it's inception in 2011. Never even heard of the filtering problem personally. Not to say it doesn't exist though.

Reactions: gank41

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Good to know. It's hard to tell how big an issue it is (partly because its hard to know if an email you weren't expecting didn't arrive), but I see it mentioned any time iCloud Mail is brought up so there must be something to it.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Did I miss it? Were there other outages?
Yesterday: https://www.macrumors.com/2024/01/29/apple-music-not-working-for-some-users/

4 days ago: https://www.macrumors.com/2024/01/26/app-store-apple-music-outage-january/

Multiple times in Dec 2023:

Shall I keep going?

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
I've seen Apple have a lot of outages over the last year or so. Not specifically always mail outages, but enough that it makes me question how stable their infrastructure is.
Yeah, it's a fair concern, every once in a while something will go down for a bit. Pretty much my entire life is through iCloud though and I don't feel inconvenienced by outages much at all...they are rare enough for me. Certainly not mail. Every once in a while a few emails will come in late, but I haven't had that problem in over a year and it is not frequent. I actually don't even remember the last time an outage like today occurred with mail, if ever.

Their infrastructure, for my uses at least, has been solid.

The two things I do avoid, though, are using advanced data protection, and private relay. ADP for me added hoops to jump through to get logged into icloud.com, and it made a random iCloud security notification pop up on my phone that I couldn't make go away. Private relay made some websites not load. Other than that though it's been solid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.