Apple's iCloud Website Gains New Find My Friends App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 21, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today added a web-based Find My Friends app to its iCloud.com site (via 9to5Mac), allowing users to locate their friends on a Mac or PC through the web. Find My Friends has long been available on iPhones and iPads through an iOS app, but this is the first time the feature has been made available on all platforms through a universal web app.

[​IMG]

Find My Friends will display the location of each friend on a map, and it will also let users know which friends are located nearby. Today's addition of Find My Friends to iCloud.com comes following its promotion to a default app within iOS 9, which means it comes pre-installed on all iOS devices and cannot be deleted.

Find My Friends joins Find My iPhone and several other iCloud apps, including Mail, Calendar, Photos, Contacts, Notes, Reminders, iCloud Drive, and the iWork suite of apps,

Article Link: Apple's iCloud Website Gains New Find My Friends App

2. captain cadet macrumors 6502

Do people use Find My Friends? I find it too creepy that my friends can look me up to see where ever I am!

3. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If a user is not in proximity to their iDevice (or the device is not connected to the net) and are instead logged in through the web; would Find My Friends point out where they are logged in instead of where their phone is?

4. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Glad Apple has no plans of discontinuing this app!

5. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Find My Friends - Making husbands scared to stop off at the strip club if their wife uses the app. No thanks.

6. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

this makes 11 Apple apps I put into my special (never gonna use) folder

7. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

Let's see a dedicated messages and apple music app.

8. toomuchjohnson macrumors newbie

toomuchjohnson

I actually now stop at the strip club more often with the app haha...

9. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I use it all the time as does my partner and friends. Its better than calling to find where someone is (as in disturbing them). If you want to hide your location you can at any time.

10. munpip214 macrumors regular

I use it and love it. You can also do temporary shares for times like parties or theme parks. You can always hide at any point. Handy to see if my wife has left work, or if family has left their house, heading to ours.

11. westonm macrumors member

I use it quite a bit with the family and girlfriend.

"Find My Friends" may be a bit of a misnomer. It's more "notify me when so and so leaves work so I can start dinner". It's certainly not something I use with any acquaintances.

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I prefer just throwing a dart at the car as they are driving off. The magnetic belly of the dart attaches firmly to the car and that shows your friend's GPS location on your mobile device.

13. hmark8 macrumors regular

Yes, many do, but it would be more aptly named, "Find My Family" since most use it to find/share location with their family members, which isn't creepy and is very helpful.

14. hmark8 macrumors regular

They already had an app. This is just about being able to access the service via the web browser. No new icons will be appearing on your homescreen/desktop.

15. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I do. You choose who can and can't follow you, and you can change it at any time. You can also set it up to only allow them to track you for a limited time.

IE, this is super useful whenever I go with friends to an amusement park. We all set up Find My Friends so we can all track each other for the rest of the day. I also have it set up to always share with and track 3 of my best friends - we do stuff often enough together that it would just be a hassle to have to set this up all the time. Saves having to waste time asking people "Where are you?".

Super useful if you want to know a rough ETA for other people. IE, you're expecting someone at your house and want an ETA. But they're driving, so they shouldn't be using their phone to tell you. But if Find My Friends is set up, you just glance at that and you know where they are, so you know about how long until they reach you.

Now that I think about it though, I do wonder whether Find my Friends could be hacked. Could be a concern, except that info would only be useful for a limited time, and anything you figure out via that could probably be just as easily discovered via Facebook.

16. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

It's about time. Why isn't there a find my friends osx app?

17. hmark8 macrumors regular

The article notes that now people can access this via their desktop computer rather than just through mobile apps. It should be noted that this was already possible for people running the latest Mac OS. Clicking the top right icon on Mac opens a side bar and there you could always turn on the Find my Friends widget which allowed you to track a friends location as well as using Messages app on Mac you could click contact details with someone you are chatting with to see their location (if they are a friend on FMF). But still great that there is a website for it as well.

18. MentalFloss macrumors 65816

MentalFloss

Yea... wives checking husbands' email and short messages, Ashley Madison being hacked, Find My Friends apps... modern technology has made being a lying and cheating ****** without morals and conscience really really difficult!

Not such a big issue for me, as I actually love my wife, but I am kinda odd, apparently...

19. hmark8 macrumors regular

Because you can already access it via a widget in the Mac OS sidebar or via the messages app if you click contact details on someone you are chatting with.

20. MentalFloss macrumors 65816

MentalFloss

There's also quite a few occasions where it is also useful with friends (for example when you go shopping and decide to split up), but obviously, you would not keep it activated permanently.

21. davemchine macrumors member

22. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Cool, now how do I remove it and from my iPhone?

23. davemchine macrumors member

I use this app frequently. As one person mentioned it is a good way to know when your spouse leaves work so you can start dinner. I also use it if my kids are late arriving at the bus stop after school. I can see how far away the bus is. My father has a variable work schedule so I can use the app to see if he is at work before I call.

As mentioned it is easy enough to turn it off so people cannot follow you at a later time. Since all the control is in your hand (literally) I don't think it is creepy at all.

24. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

My family and I use it all the time! I don't use it with friends, that it creepy.

25. Vanilla Face, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

I've always wanted this for OS X. This will be a decent alternative. It'd be nice to see it integrated into Apple Maps for OS X

Edit: Apparently this is a widget in the today view of the notification center now, thanks everyone for letting me know!