Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's in-app purchase requirements are anti-competitive, the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets (ACM) has decided, reports Reuters. The ACM has ordered Apple to make changes to the rules that force developers to use in-app payment options.

app-store-blue-banner.jpg

The Dutch antitrust watchdog has been investigating Apple since 2019, and while the probe started out as a look into whether Apple's App Store practices are an abuse of dominant market position, it was scaled back to focus on dating apps.

Tinder owner Match Group said that Apple's in-app purchase were preventing it from directly communicating with customers about payments.

The ACM told Apple about its decision on in-app purchases last month, and it was the first antitrust regulator to decide that Apple has abused its market power in the App Store. Apple has not been fined, but the ACM wants it to make changes to in-app purchase rules.

A final decision on the matter is under legal review and it will be published laster this year.

In related news from Japanese site Nikkei, Japan's Fair Trade Commission is launching an investigation into whether Apple and Google are leveraging their dominance in the smartphone OS market to eliminate competition and limit options for consumers.

The Japanese FTC will conduct interviews and surveys with OS operators, app developers, and smartphone users, and will aim to create a report outlining OS market structure and the reasons why competition "has remained static."

Apple is facing similar antitrust investigations and legal issues in multiple countries, including the United States. Sweeping antitrust legislation has been introduced, and earlier this year, the Epic v. Apple case resulted in a ruling requiring Apple to allow developers to include "external links or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms, in addition to In-App Purchasing." Apple will need to implement these rules starting in December.

Article Link: Apple's In-App Purchase Rules Are Anti-Competitive, Rules Dutch Antitrust Watchdog

genovelle

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
It’s time to revert non partners to webapps that require few internal resources to maintain and partner with companies that want access to Apple technologies that they spend billions on. Create a new store for those old apps like they did with podcasts and let them fend for themselves. Provide no promotional support for the outside store. At all.

genovelle

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
I’m on apples side but want choice allow other app stores and see what people choose. Let them developers promote their own crap and see what they get from it.
The problem is the stores pretending to be apple and websites redirecting unsuspecting users to false sites and giving them their information

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
I’m on apples side but want choice allow other app stores and see what people choose. Let them developers promote their own crap and see what they get from it.
What? No. Developers need the noose tightened, not more freedom to come up with new ways to charge people to keep an app. Every time they are given a tool to help them serve their customers they turn it into another way to fleece people out of more money. IAP, subscriptions, and what, now we want to give them control over how the App is distributed? Give me a break.

Unless we don’t care about users at all… in which case why not destroy the platform they have built by giving the control over to the prospectors looking for increased, short-sighted returns for the lowest investment.

"Tinder owner Match Group said that Apple's in-app purchase were preventing it from directly communicating with customers about payments."

As soon as the developer is able to 'communicate directly about payments' they will also communicate with marketing.

Last edited:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think Apple may allow app payments by PayPal and Square in the USA and recognized third party payment systems in other countries (e.g., Rakuten Pay and PayPay in Japan, Naver Pay in South Korea, etc.)

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
I suspect that developers will stay with in app purchases via apple for a while. Trust issues will prevent a significant percentage from using their card details elsewhere. If this was 15% all advantage list

vasilenko93

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2021
My biggest issue with Apple services is that they are not available everywhere. For example Apple Pay is great, but I cannot use it on my Desktop which is Windows. When buying games on Steam I use PayPal as that has all my cards and linked to my bank account and I use it to send money to some people. What's cool is many sites have the option to pay with PayPal which saves me time as PayPal also has my address. I would prefer to use it.

Than when I bought an iPhone I was forced to give Apple my card information just to sign up for some service on an App. Why!? I already have PayPal installed and signed in, why couldn't I use that!? But okay, lets fully set up Apple Pay as its better and secure...except that's useless to me as I almost never make in app purchase and I cannot use Apple Pay on my Desktop.

This is also why I don't use KeyChain. Sure its better integrated with my phone...but 1Password works on my Desktop and work laptop while KeyChain does not. If Apple ever forces everyone to use KeyChain I will throw my iPhone at the wall.

JMaille

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2021
At some point you can expect the cost of developer tools to go up significantly. Developers will also have to pay license fees for the programming interfaces. Possibly even users having to pay for OS upgrades. Operating a business is not free, so the revenue will have to come from somewhere.

We'll also have forced third party app stores that are full of scam apps. And then in a few years will have the legally mandated hardware designs that require old-outdated, but unifyingly common, interfaces and components.

Then everything will be better... Yes, much, much better... At least, for everyone that matters...

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
My biggest issue with Apple services is that they are not available everywhere. For example Apple Pay is great, but I cannot use it on my Desktop which is Windows. When buying games on Steam I use PayPal as that has all my cards and linked to my bank account and I use it to send money to some people. What's cool is many sites have the option to pay with PayPal which saves me time as PayPal also has my address. I would prefer to use it.

Than when I bought an iPhone I was forced to give Apple my card information just to sign up for some service on an App. Why!? I already have PayPal installed and signed in, why couldn't I use that!? But okay, lets fully set up Apple Pay as its better and secure...except that's useless to me as I almost never make in app purchase and I cannot use Apple Pay on my Desktop.
The reason you can’t use Apple Pay on Steam has less to do with Apple and more to do with Microsoft and Valve.

At some point you can expect the cost of developer tools to go up significantly. Developers will also have to pay license fees for the programming interfaces. Possibly even users having to pay for OS upgrades. Operating a business is not free, so the revenue will have to come from somewhere.

We'll also have forced third party app stores that are full of scam apps. And then in a few years will have the legally mandated hardware designs that require old-outdated, but unifyingly common, interfaces and components.

Then everything will be better... Yes, much, much better... At least, for everyone that matters...
But those costs will be offset by developers who are motivated to not raise prices by abusing their access to customer information.

And we already pay for OS updates. We pay upfront as part of the equipment price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.