Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret reports that Apple's cell phone project has been placed on hold due to "significant technical hurdles" in developing the product.

According to the rumor site, Apple had wanted to develop the cell phone "from the ground up" rather than improving on existing designs. The process, however, was met with technical problems in interfacing the various cell components.

ThinkSecret predicts that the Apple cell phone will not likely come until at least 2007, if not later. This is in the face of numerous predictions by analysts that an Apple iPhone is expected in the next 12 months.

Leoff

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
I'd rather have them late to the party and have it done up right than throw some crap out there in a hurry.

supermacdesign

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2006
iPhone

I just don't see any reason Apple needs to produce a phone. How does this sell more iMacs or Computers. Can anyone think of a reason?

SaddY

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
THE ROKR WAS NOT BY APPLE !!! ITUNES WAS !

having that said.. I didn't expect a Apple Phone any time soon...
I do however hope to see a Blackberry killer announced for the pro market by apple as I posted before.. RIM is in trouble.. (even though they settled), Palm is taking advantage right now.. and Apple could jump in..

Besides all that I could buy the motivation of this story but let's not forget that none of the things ThinkSecret predicted past year have come true.. Almost like Apple is pulling the strings upthere.. or maybe it's just stock manipulation..

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
supermacdesign said:
I just don't see any reason Apple needs to produce a phone. How does this sell more iMacs or Computers. Can anyone think of a reason?

Actually I don't know either. I think anything that makes money and that gets Apple's name out there and familiar (as a strong brand even among PC users) may make it even easier for switchers.

There are so many people I know that will never used an Apple because of how they 'were'. (Always incompatable, always shutting down, pre OSX) that's THEIR opinion by the way so don't burn me.

I think the iPod has brought on switchers, why not a phone?

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Eh, not a big deal... if they need to take their time, then that is what they'll do. The whole iPhone concept never had me that excited from the start anyway.

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Hmm, too bad because I would love to see a cell phone from Apple but its just a rumor right? Maybe hes dead wrong but if he is not id like for Apple to take all the time they need to make that phone perfect. :)

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
Buy, Buy, Buy!

Apple should just buy some Korean phone maker and be done with it. Hire some bi-lingual engineers and have a phone within 6 months. Easy ;)

waveman216

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
Who cares?

Cell phones have been around for a while now and unless Apple can figure out some "revolutionary" new way for us to use the PHONE, not play music on it cause I doubt most people want to do that, than honestly, who gives a crap?

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
meh, i would love to see apple do something really innovative (b/c i haven't seen anything innovative in the mobile market in a while), but i honestly won't be broken if they never get into that market. it's a crowded, crazy market.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
As much as I'd love to see an Apple produced phone, I think they should concentrate on the Mac and OS X for now.

Maybe next year.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
not a user

well, it is an interesting idea, but i cannot really even figure why i would use one. im not a user here in north america at least so... but it just seems that apple may be spreading themselves out a bit too much. id rather a much better macbook or powermac or something than a decent phone and a decent computer. now, if dell made phones, then apple needs to do it too! ;)

Billy_ca

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2002
Don't they already have an iTunes Phone? I see ads for them on the subway.

How is this not already an "iPhone"?

cafc:mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2004
London
Digital Hub strategy

For people who don't see how an Apple phone connects to the Mac strategy, what if the phone was a mobile phone that could do all of the things 'regular' mobiles do, but run iTunes (Music, video clips), sync with Mail (send/receive email?) and Address Book, control Front Row (remote) and, most innovative of all, connect with iChat to provide VOIP services.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
supermacdesign said:

There doesn't need to be a link between an iPhone and selling computers. The iPod did not start out as something to sell Macs with (considering it was Mac only)... and an iPhone could be the same thing. It could be that Apple sees what other companies see that the phone is potentially where your PDA/etc converge in the future. PDAs replaced by smaller devices in a phone-ish form factor, designed to let you access your PC's data remotely via cellular networks. I actually agree that this is a possible direction for the market to take, and if Apple has been waiting for a chance to get back into the mobile market after the Newton, this would be THE chance to make the same sort of splash that the iPod did.

interlard

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
Not iPhone, wireless iPod!

The iPhone is indeed a horrible idea. I'm convinced that Apple's intention was to make the iPod wireless. Voice capability is just a simple add-on.

And yes, the way cellphones work here on Earth, it's WAY too hard to pop out a new product in a short time. The service providers have a strangle-hold on the entire market.

If the service providers just made the infrastructure (and competed to provide the easiest in-roads to separate phone providers), the whole thing would move much more quickly.

Perhaps Apple can shake things up, like they did with iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.