Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple design chief Jony Ive on Thursday was honored by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art in an event that celebrated Ive's 2014 Bay Area Treasure Award. The award, bestowed by the Modern Art Council (MAC), recognizes creative individuals who have influenced visual culture.

ive_moma_award.jpg
"Ive is our generation's most innovative and influential figure in the field of industrial design--no other design mind has done more to transform the way we visualize and share information," said SFMOMA Director Neal Benezra. "SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast to establish a department of architecture and design, and we're thrilled to celebrate Ive's revolutionary achievements."
Speaking during the award ceremony, Ive commented on the Apple Watch and the challenge of designing Apple's first smartwatch product in a series of comments reported by The Wall Street Journal.
"Even though Apple Watch does so many things, there are cultural, historical implications and expectations," Ive said. "That's why it's been such a difficult and humbling program."
Ive also emphasized the dilemma of developing a product that would mean different things to different people. Adding to the complexity of the design is the device itself, which is used only casually by its owners.
"As soon as something is worn, we have expectations of choice," said Ive. Only "in prison," he joked, do people all wear the same thing."
Ive's strict focus on his design work was also revealed in the interview when he admitted he didn't know the details of Apple's most recent financial results.
"I honestly don't know the numbers," said Ive. "But I know they are high."
The Bay Area Treasure Award is one of several awards given to Ive in recent years. The Apple designer was the recipient of a National Design Award for the iPhone in 2007 and a team-issued 2012 Design and Art Direction award. He also was made a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in a ceremony held in 2012.

Article Link: Apple's Jony Ive Talks Apple Watch at SFMOMA Lifetime Achievement Award Ceremony

joshwenke

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Is anyone else like really excited for this watch?! It's really unique and I'm looking forward to it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I don't mind the watch, but it appears that his lifetime achievement award is for just that, products, and designs he has worked on within his lifetime, not just one single product. I don't think this has to do with the Apple Watch exclusively.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Not really, I think its bulky and kind of ugly. Being force tethered to a phone is the final deal killer for me.

I think you're stretching a bit in terms of it's looks and it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. The Apple Watch doesn't need the aid of the iPhone to work the standard functions. You can go the whole day using it and leaving your iPhone at home.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I think you're stretching a bit in terms of it's looks and it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. The Apple Watch doesn't need the aid of the iPhone to work the standard functions. You can go the whole day using it and leaving your iPhone at home.

I wouldn't say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yes, you can wear the watch without the phone near, but it significantly neuters the experience. Without a standalone cellular radio, most of the functions become moot. I for one do not see a problem with this approach in a first generation device, but I think the argument has some validity.

Everyone has different use cases. It doesn't make them wrong.

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
The excrescence Ive is right at the very top of my list of world class useless "bankers" (Brits will know) who are in sore need of a good slap.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I wouldn't say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yes, you can wear the watch without the phone near, but it significantly neuters the experience. Without a standalone cellular radio, most of the functions become moot. I for one do not see a problem with this approach in a first generation device, but I think the argument has some validity.

Everyone has different use cases. It doesn't make them wrong.

Thanks for defending someone else without fully reading their post. He said the Apple Watch was "FORCE-TEATHERED" to the iPhone. That easily suggests that it can't be used at all without the iPhone. :rolleyes:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ

Without the phone pretty much all you got is a ($350 at least) iPod nano with fitness tracking.

randymac09

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Maryland
I personally love the Apple Watch and can't wait for it to be released. Being able to change the band so easily is a huge plus.

For those thinking it is bulky, I can see where it might appear that it is. However, I own 10 watches and I believe at least half of mine, if not more are thicker than this. At least 2 of them are larger in both thickness and face size.

I am not worried about that aspect of the watch. I just hope the UI functions properly and I get access to some awesome faces.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Without the phone pretty much all you got is a ($350 at least) iPod nano with fitness tracking.

Considering many people pay upwards of $1000 for a device that is a timepiece only, I don't think this is much of an issue.

Many of us on here paid well over $350 as recently as 2003 for a basic iPod.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
This watch is going to be an absolute marvel of tech design, both in terms of the hardware and the OS. It will truly be amazing.

And barely anyone will want it or need it at that price.

Apple has absolutely failed to either (1) tap into an existing need, or (2) create a new need, as innovative as this watch is/will be.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
meanwhile inside Johnnys head....

who chose these god aweful decorations. The design, yuk uck I'm almost throwing up in my mouth. Design award... by these people.... sure I'm a ****ing genius but these people wouldn't know good design if it fell on them. Im a god among you.... oh **** did I say that out loud.... hope no one heard...

yes apple watch its amazing... thank you for the award

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The watch will be nice.

Here's what separates me from Jony though. And clearly his responses are based on his deep work on the project and the fact that he's speaking publicly.
It's a watch. Not a holy grail.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
The watch will be nice.

Here's what separates me from Jony though. And clearly his responses are based on his deep work on the project and the fact that he's speaking publicly.
It's a watch. Not a holy grail.

It might be the holy grail but we will have to wait and see if....it.... stands the test of time :D

mikeoc

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
London
I think its a well deserved award. His work really was central to Apple's resurgence. On the watch front, I'm going to stick with my £10 Casio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.