Apple's Lens Supplier Confident in Triple-Camera Adoption in Upcoming Smartphones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 12, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

DigiTimes reports that despite a sizable drop in fourth-quarter 2018 revenues and operating profits for lens-supplier Largan Precision, the company remains confident about "adoption of 3-lens or more modules for flagship smartphone models."

As a result, Largan is continuing to expand their production capacity, despite this recent dip in revenue.
    Largan's confidence remains steady since back in July despite warnings from Apple that global sales may stall in 2018.
    Indeed, Apple is widely rumored to adopt a three lens system in their high end 2019 iPhones and beyond. A Triple-camera system could offer improved 3D-sensing, increased zoom, better low-light photos, and more.

Article Link: Apple's Lens Supplier Confident in Triple-Camera Adoption in Upcoming Smartphones

2. SuperDuperMan macrumors newbie

SuperDuperMan

The Apple Company wants 3 camera lenses more than we do.

3. miflgr92 macrumors member

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The cameras are amazing already. I’d rather see the phone get a little thicker to eliminate the camera bump and add some extra battery life. Triple lens seems like a gimmick to me.

4. Skeith macrumors member

How aboot take those AI/ML processing power and give us better post processing~?

No? Okay. 3rd lens here we go.

5. Judo macrumors regular

Mobile phone camera lenses, the new razor blades.

6. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Apple really needs to focus on low light pictures. In day light I can take amazing shots considering how tiny the lenses are, but indoor or after sunset I really struggle getting something barely usable. I can always pick my DSLR but that's not the point, other brands do perform better in low light. Maybe colors are not accurate, but being able to see something is better than having a pic with no details at all.
    Some enhancements can be made via software taking advantage of their amazing SoC, but I wonder if a dedicated lens could improve low light pics, I guess Huawei did something similar with the monochrome lens

7. Skeith macrumors member

actually that's point. no matter how much they try. they are no DSLR. (e.g. when you blow up the photos). with such small sensor, it's amazing Google manage to do Night Shot (black) magic.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Google is doing some amazing things right now with ‘Night Sight’, and how it’s digitally altered with the photos. I’m sure Apple will move something similar to this method, but I agree, that my iPhone takes amazing photos, and I couldn’t ask for anymore, with the exception of having improved low light conditions.

9. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

10. otternonsense, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Good grief..not this arrangement at least.

I sense that the age of "the consumer doesn't know what they want until we give it to them" Jobs-ian Apple mentality is irreversibly done for. Jobs at least had the product/design/engineering acumen to figure out concepts ahead of the curve and force his company to create the impossible, and it coincided well with the smartphone and tablet markets being at their infancy.

By now the consumer can form an educated opinion over what they want. Hell, this weirdo overkill implementation for pseudo-AR ain't it.

11. freddiebarnes macrumors newbie

freddiebarnes

12. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I agree, but in the words of Monty Python “It’s only a model”. I doubt Apple would have it look like that. At least I hope not.

13. AppleTools macrumors member

AppleTools

Please not that monstrosity!!!

Just make it a couple of mm thicker. More internal space means bigger battery too...

14. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

This is just spinners for the rims and faux hood scoops for a pickup truck. Another camera!

This can easily add $500 to the next iPhone, $750 for the maxed out Max version.

There will be a tooth pick and tweezers included,( à la the Swiss Army knife) because Apple knows what we need, and we are going to have it whether we want it or not!:rolleyes:

Anymore SE clearance on the way, Jony and Tim?:mad:

15. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I kind of agree with both of you. There’s no harm in Apple improving low-light performance however they can, but it’s always going to be a losing battle compared to a DSLR, to some extent.

16. otternonsense, Feb 12, 2019

otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Remember when we used to express the same skepticism about those leaks?

We all know what happened next.

iphone 7 futurama.jpeg

17. manu chao macrumors 603

If all those cameras would do the same thing, that analogy would be correct. But as long as they all have different focal lengths (angle-of-view), that's not quite applicable. Different focal lengths are far from a gimmick, in fact, actual cameras with only a single focal length (fixed-lens cameras with a prime lens) are pretty rare.

18. calstanford macrumors regular

I'm gonna go with the even cameras only. So I'll be waiting for the upgrade to 4 and then 6 cameras. K. Thx Tim!

19. Relentless Power, Feb 12, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

We? Yet, you don’t even know what the triple lens camera is capable of or what it will offer in new technology. You Can’t really speak for ‘We’, when you don’t even know yourself of this new technology.

20. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

nothing wrong with their razors - but a lot wrong with apple lately which means since cook took over!

21. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Image quality is proportional to the amount of light hitting the sensor. Want better low light pics? There are only two options:
    1. increase time sensor is gathering light (traditionally longer shutter speed, recently combine multiple short exposures)
    2. increase sensor size (traditionally DSLR, recently combine multiple small sensors)
    The question is not do you want 3/4 lenses, it's how much do you want better pictures from your phone.

22. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

That is one ugly camera. Do all your trash talking now because if apple comes out with that abomination, you won’t be able to trash talk any other phone ever again.

23. cocky jeremy Suspended

cocky jeremy

A third lens is cool and all, but give us a larger sensor and better apertures (front and rear)

24. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

I’d be nice if Apple added more cool and innovative features to the iPhone instead we get a pointless third lens that nobody asked for or cares about.

25. Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

That’s because there’s not a whole helluva lot you can do with a Smartphone. The smartphone designs have pretty much squeezed out all of the innovations in the past 10 years. Now it’s all about incremental improvements which is now sold as “innovation”.