Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a reddit post accusing Apple of removing negative reviews for the LG UltraFine 5K Display started making the rounds, suggesting Apple was hiding negative feedback about the new display in its web store.

MacRumors has learned that reviews were never made available for the LG 5K Display in Apple's online store, though the reason for that is not clear. It could be that reviews were not activated due to the long delay between when the display was announced and when it became available for purchase.

Whatever the reason behind the lack of reviews, the issue has been fixed. As of this morning, the LG 5K Display listing on Apple's website does indeed feature a "Ratings & Reviews" section.

lgultrafine5kdisplay-800x605.jpg

Looking back at archived web information from 2016 and early 2017 confirms that the LG 5K Display listing never displayed rating or review details, and if Apple were censoring reviews, the company also likely would have put an end to lukewarm reviews for the 4K LG UltraFine Display. The 4K display store listing has offered reviews since it became available for purchase.

Because Apple didn't delete the reviews, the premise behind the original reddit post is flawed. While it's true there's been some negative feedback about the LG 5K Display on Apple's Support Communities, there was no secret censoring of information on the store page.

It is not clear if Apple is looking into any of the issues that prompted the reddit post. On Apple's Support Communities, customers complain of issues with the display suddenly shutting off, flickering, or not connecting to a Mac, ports not working, sound problems, and more.

The LG UltraFine 5K Display has been available for purchase since the middle of December. Apple is currently offering a limited time discount on the display, dropping the price from $1,299 to $974. The special pricing will be available through the end of March.

Article Link: Apple's LG 5K Display Store Listing Now Accepting Reviews

bobbie424242

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2015
Good guy Apple ! It actually craved for your bad reviews. Who would have guessed.

And Good guy macrumors reporting on such good guy Apple ! The alchemy between both is so touching. Dare I day, amazing.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I will give Apple credit on this one, could just have been a website glitch. Not sure why people would think Apple would be so protective of some other company's reputation, Apple really has nothing invested in selling a 3rd party product so if LG screwed up then they screwed up.

Had it been a brand new Apple Cinema Display product that was full of flaws then I could see Apple Trumping the facts about it.

ralphholzmann

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I purchased two of these monitors. My only (and big) gripe is that you can't rotate them vertically.

Now, when I say that you can't rotate them vertically, I don't mean that the monitor base doesn't support rotation (it doesn't). I mean that in the macOS display settings, you cannot change the rotation/orientation for these external monitors. I have both of mine mounted on VESA arms that support rotation, but the macOS software won't give me the option to rotate, no matter what I do. Yes, I've tried opening settings/Display while holding option + command.

Huge bummer, really wanted a long vertical monitor for code.

hassaan22

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
Sweden
Mine works great love it. The sound is a bit funky though seems it gets really loud at low volume settings 2 bars

OMG YES!!! I thought it was only me... It is so annoying, and i can never find the perfect volume on anything. Have to play around with the system and video volume for a minute to get it right for every video i watch!

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I purchased two of these monitors. My only (and big) gripe is that you can't rotate them vertically.

Now, when I say that you can't rotate them vertically, I don't mean that the monitor base doesn't support rotation (it doesn't). I mean that in the macOS display settings, you cannot change the rotation/orientation for these external monitors. I have both of mine mounted on VESA arms that support rotation, but the macOS software won't give me the option to rotate, no matter what I do. Yes, I've tried opening settings/Display while holding option + command.

Ouch. That would be a deal breaker for me. Like you, I want to see a lot of code.

Reactions: Good User Name

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
"Because Apple didn't delete the reviews, the premise behind the original reddit post is flawed."

Reddit is garbage. I wouldn't trust the junk on that site for anything.

Reddit is basically Craigslist of dialogue. It's a good way to be loud, without any checks and balance for accuracy. It's entertaining to read, but nobody really takes it seriously. Like Craigslist, LOL

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010

Totally agree. Using a 2'nd monitor in "Long vertical" mode makes a huge difference in my productivity.

Reactions: Good User Name

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OMG YES!!! I thought it was only me... It is so annoying, and i can never find the perfect volume on anything. Have to play around with the system and video volume for a minute to get it right for every video i watch!
Hold shift+option then hit the volume keys and it will move in 1/4 increments to help with this.
[doublepost=1485373359][/doublepost]
Reddit is garbage. I wouldn't trust the junk on that site for anything.

There are a handful of subreddits that are pretty heavily moderated, so are a decent source for information. There is a history subreddit that is quite good. But overall, I would agree with you that for much other than funny pictures of cats, it is a mess.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

for FREEEEEEEEEE: works perfectly by putting it into the menu bar.

If you cannot download google Display Rotation Menu

Thank you to the developer!

Attachments

• Display Rotation Menu.app.zip
    86.5 KB · Views: 161

stevie grant

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016

Wouldn't that be something you'd check before buying one, let alone two?

imran5720

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
Does anyone know how this happend? system froze, and firefox was using 70GB+ memory
screen-shot-2017-01-25-at-10-21-20-pm-png.685477

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.21.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.21.20 PM.png
    369.4 KB · Views: 4,517
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.