Apple's Mac Mini is Now Three Years Old, No Refresh Date in Sight

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Today marks the third anniversary of the last update of the Mac mini, Apple's most affordable and compact desktop computer. The Mac mini was refreshed on October 16, 2014, and since then, the machine has seen no additional updates.

The Mac mini is positioned as a "bring your own" machine that comes without a mouse, keyboard, or display, and the current version is still running Haswell processors and integrated Intel HD 5000/Intel Iris Graphics.

Pricing on the Mac mini starts at $499 for the entry-level base configuration, making it far more affordable than the iMac, which starts at $1,099 for a non-4K 21-inch version.

[​IMG]

With the 2014 refresh, fans were disappointed as Apple ceased offering a quad-core processor option and support for dual hard drives, features that have not returned.

At this point, it's not clear if and when Apple will introduce a new version of the Mac mini. Prior to the 2014 refresh, the Mac mini was updated in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012, so it's never before gone three years sans update.

Many Apple customers are eagerly awaiting a new Mac mini, including businesses that rely on the machine, like Brian Stucki's MacStadium.

When Apple announced plans for a modular Mac Pro, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said the Mac mini "is an important product" in the company's lineup, suggesting Apple doesn't have plans to abandon the machine. He declined to offer up any information on a potential refresh, though.

Aside from a single rumor from Pike's Universum hinting at a new high-end Mac mini with a redesign that "won't be so mini anymore," we've heard no details at all about work on a possible Mac mini refresh.

If a new Mac mini is in the works, though, it could use either Seventh-Generation Kaby Lake chips or Eighth-Generation Kaby Lake Refresh chips, both of which are available now.

The Mac mini typically uses the same 15W U-series chips that are found in the 13-inch MacBook Pro. With Intel's Eighth-Generation chips, the U-series all feature four cores, so should a future Mac mini adopt Kaby Lake Refresh chips or later, quad-core performance will return.

Given that it's October and there are no rumors, it's not likely we're going to see a Mac mini refresh in 2017, but sometime in 2018 is fair game.

Article Link: Apple's Mac Mini is Now Three Years Old, No Refresh Date in Sight

2. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Apple is really ******** the bed when it comes to the Mac line.

3. Mayo86 macrumors newbie

It's dead. I hope not, but it's probably dead.

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I have a 2012 Quad Core Mac Mini. I've been considering selling it, as I use it basically as a NAS and that's it. On the flip side, it's a pretty dam good NAS.

5. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

This article will have 500 comments by the morning...

:p

6. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Here come the ‘Apple will discontinue the Mac mini’ comments. You’re wrong!

7. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

I think they are waiting for the year they can throw it under the bus. Right now where are we at? 2010 - 2014 models can run the current MacOS. So in three or four years they can say it's no longer supported. Problem solved.

8. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

The 2014 refresh was a total downgrade from the 2012. The EOL was on its way at that time.

9. Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

The Mac mini was one of the better ideas Apple had. I have a 2012 mini and would buy another one if Apple did not gimp it like the 2014 models. I think if we ever see another mini it's going to be further locked down regarding upgrades. I'm now waiting to see the entry price of the redesigned Mac Pro's if they get released next year.

10. TheMacDaddy1 macrumors regular

Apple is having a difficult time trying to stuff the Mini guts into a Apple TV case. However once done this new Mini will be even smaller and only cost $200 more!!!!

11. Slippery Gimp, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

Slippery Gimp macrumors member

Waiting patiently to upgrade my 2012 model. Luckily I see there’s a thread entitled, “The new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming”, so that gives me hope.

12. Tech198 macrumors G5

I guess u can have a birthday cake celebrate how long its been without an update..

The Mac Pro was "important" as well and it suffered the same fate basically. So the same time frame could be the same here.

I have Late 2014 model..

13. currocj macrumors regular

I couldn’t wait any longer so I got a 2017 iMac 5k.

Apple beat out my patience!

14. Asclepio macrumors 6502a

Asclepio

wtf when I post this kind of pics they get banned in seconds...

15. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Touch bar and new colours on the Mac Mini with the same specs ;)

#LighterandThinner

16. bgraham macrumors regular

Apple needs to kill off these relics and simplify its product lines.

Kill of the Mac Mini, iPad Mini, MacBook Air, iPhone 6s, Apple TV (non-4K) and the iPod touch along with a bunch of cables and accessories no one ever buys (in-ear Apple earphones that have existed for donkeys, 30-pin cables etc.)

17. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I've got a mac mini at home that I use for a variety of purposes. It hosts a VM I use for a lot of things; it acts as an app store update cache, it acts as a proxy AirPrint print server for my printer, etc.

As it is, mine is a good 7 years old. I'd love to see a refresh for this device.

18. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

What if the refreshed Mac mini was actually one of the modules of the new modular Mac Pro due out next year? Maybe you can add power to a base configuration to go from Mini to Pro.

19. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

They also beat out the money from your pocketbook. An apple win.

20. jdillings macrumors 68000

This the clearest sign yet that the new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming

21. Böhme417 macrumors 6502a

I can't decide if this is funny or depressing.

Both?

22. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

I really want a new, top spec Mac mini... my money is here if you want it apple.

23. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

24. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Either you forget the s/ or you missed the entire point of why people are upset