Apple's Mac Sales Drop in Q4 2018 Amid Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Market share is also driven by price, particularly on a worldwide. Apple just isn't going to sell at prices like Lenovo and Dell.

Apple's products are just a no go for a lot of people due to price and Apple is OK with that. Seems to be working quite well. Apple could have the best design (I think they do) and the best everything, but simply be too expensive for some to even consider.

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

There’s lots of spin out there but cost is huge factor in why I made zero Apple purchases in 2018.

3. curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

That certainly used to be true. I still have a 2006 MBP that still runs, though the hard drive is starting to make worrisome noises. Apple stopped supporting it long ago, so I dual boot it with a 32-bit Linux distro, and keep it around just because of its amazing longevity. The newer (over the last 5 years) PCs are of much higher quality than used to be the case, especially at the high end. I recently purchased a System 76 Linux laptop for $2300, an Oryx Pro. It's a great performer, and kind of reminds me of my old MBP with the feel of the keyboard and its responsiveness in general. For the money, I think I got a much better deal than I would have with a comparable MBP right now. The newer ones are exhibiting problems, often within 2-3 years. This is the gist I get in watching Louis Rossmann's Macbook repair clips on youtube. The new ones are fairly fragile, and some of the things going on under the hood are a bit sketchy.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    True, but you get a lot less bang per buck - flimsy keyboard, overheating issues, non-upgradable or user-repairable, etc. I paid about $2100 for my 2006 MBP, and it still runs. I have replaced the battery three times (user replaceable), and the machine is easily opened for disk/memory upgrades, vacuuming, etc.
    Actually, at least at the command line level, MacOs has much more in common with Linux - it runs BSD Unix under the hood. The current crop of Linux desktop distributions include those which are very similar in feel to MacOS.
    t
    Until the latest generation, in which the headphone jack was removed, I was an advocate of the iPad. I use my 2017 model for my music pursuits. I'm able to use it in lieu of sheet music for rehearsing, practice, and performing - iOS music software has advanced so that music can be uploaded via PDF and similar formats, and then edited and marked using the iPad pencil. The headphone jack on my Pro 12 allows me to get great sound feedback through nice wired headphones. But I agree, that it doesn't replace the functionality of a great laptop or desktop - it lacks ports, multi-windowing, mouse, and a tactile keyboard, and its display is limited to 12 or less inches. My main issues with the newer (last few years) Apple laptops - removal of useful ports, unreliable keyboard hardware, and high price.

4. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

Well what about my 2007 15-inch MBP—for which I also paid a large amount—dying within four years because of a common and known-issue with graphics card overheating and de-soldering from the logic board. They eventually had a repair program in place.

Today you get significantly better build from the chassis to the hinge, much higher quality displays, and the T2 system. There is no excuse for the keyboard reliability issues.

5. rommex macrumors newbie

rommex

It’s better to return to reality. PCs and macs are just interchangeable computer devices, with very similar user experience. Just get marketing BS off your years

6. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Apple has an iPad to sell you. "It's just like a real computer."

7. Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

I wanted to replace my 2012 Mac Mini with the 2018 model. The price increase wasn't the problem as it was only $200 more, entry level vs entry level. But what got me was the way it was done. It was like product package shrinkage where the price goes slightly higher but you realize that there's a lot less inside the package.

I was even OK with the i3 CPU and Intel GPU. I was even OK with the 128GB baseline SSD storage. What I wasn't OK with is that the SSD storage was now soldered onto the motherboard. So if it fails and eventually it will you either suck up the high cost of a new motherboard or buying Applecare.

If you want to upgrade to 256GB SSD, that's another $200 bump in price for that model. They giveth and they taketh because they allowed for memory upgrades but shut the door on user SSD upgrades. They could have designed the new Mini chassis to use fast blade SSD storage that was user upgradeable but they chose to tweak the configuration where you have to spend more to upgrade the Mac.

Now some say, hey no problem just add an external TB3 SSD drive and you're good to go. But that also drives up the cost buying an external enclosure or a prepackaged TB3 SSD drive. So after careful consideration I decided not to play that game and i'm sticking with the 2012 Mini until it fails.

8. hans1972 macrumors 6502

And yet, Microsoft Surface line dropped 12% YoY in the US.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    Desktops are not what is driving Mac sales.

In the general PC market the desktop market share might be as high as one third, but for Apple which for almost 2 decades have had limited desktop options it is even lower.
    A lot of it could be caused by Chinas as Tim Cook said. Greater China is as important to Apple revenue as Europe and last financial year, Mac was particular strong in China.
    So without people like you, Acer would have fallen even more than 21.9% in the US?

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Thanks for the update Tim.

10. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502a

You are not realizing what is happening to Mac computers I guess? Mac computers are not powerful in these days and lost their own advantages with MacOS. At this point, there is no reason to buy Mac.

11. hans1972 macrumors 6502

Lenove did buy Fujitsu's PC business which may make the numbers difficult to compare.

12. KevinN206 macrumors regular

I am using Windows 10 with the latest update right now. In what ways was it terrible to use for you? No problem on my Huawei Matebook X Pro. The thin bezel and the 3:2 aspect ratio screen is a joy to use.

13. hans1972 macrumors 6502

You are assuming that performance drove the Mac sales before and therefore a lack of performance today is causing a sales drop. I am not sure either its true.

14. KevinN206 macrumors regular

The NVMe drive in the new macbooks are also soldered in, and they removed the recovery port from the logic board. I hope these NVMe drives are reliable.

15. hans1972 macrumors 6502

You have to look at these numbers over a longer time. If you have been following these numbers by Gartners and IDC for the last 10 years, you would know that there have been many quarters where at least on the larger PC manufacturer has been beating Apple.

In Q4 2017, HP gained 6.6% while Lenovo declined 0.7%. Apple increased 1.4%.
    Where Apple Mac lineup a year ago fantastic? Did HP go from geniuses to idiots in one year?

Of course, not. One reason HP have poor YoY is because they had a stellar Q4 2017. The good result for Lenovo could be due to a bad Q4 2017 and that they bought Fujitsu PC division in 2018.

You can not look at these numbers in isolation.
    And Steve Jobs was all about post-PC and wanted the iPad to be the computing device of the future.

16. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I agree with you regarding the average consumer, I use my iPad daily but my personal laptop barely gets a couple of hours a week.

That said, 9 hours a day I'm using my company laptop to work. It's a Lenovo. It's actually pretty nice and powerful. It's no surprise Lenovo is killing it, their top tier products are meant for corporations.

It's kind of ironic, Apple lead the revolution of people not needing their personal pcs, but the Lenovos and Dells and HPs switched their gears towards corporate, something Apple couldn't do. They even took clues from MacBook Air and other Apple innovations (thinner, lighter, ssd, no optical drive) and applied it to their corporate laptops.

17. hans1972 macrumors 6502

Lenovos PC division have struggled with profits and only in 2018 have they gained their #1 position and increased profitability.

Calendar Q3, one of the strongest quarters for Lenovo in a long time, there "PC"-division had revenue of $10.2 billion which also includes displays, IoT-devices and gaming. Apple had $7.4 billions in revenue.

Lenovo PC division had about 5% in profit, the highest among PC manufacturers. Apple's profits on Mac is probably much higher.

So, I would say that both Lenovo and Apple are successful.

18. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502a

It is true. Take a look at the video of comparing PC and Mac for Adobe software. Mac is optimized only for their own software like Final Cut Pro and they have only 5 professional software. What do you expect?

In technical aspect, Mac computer is so terrible. Look at the cooling system. They always throttle while PC dont have any issue since they have huge coolers for CPU and GPU. Mac Pro 2013 was a mess for sure. iMac have only one cooler to cool both CPU and GPU at once. Who would want that kind of computer?

19. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

I know it sucks to destroy a narrative with facts, but someone has to balance the ridiculous narrative that the Mac is a wasteland product failure.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I think the increased prices don’t help but the traditional PC industry as a whole is in decline as people find they need computers less and less and are able to use other devices like chromebooks, tablets and even smartphones.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2019 ---
    It’s not that Apple can’t do it. Lenovo and Dell work well in corporate settings because they offer machines in bulk for cheap. The unit price for an Apple computer for most business is just not cost effective. Most corporations will choose quantity over quality. I work in healthcare and all of the computers are a pile of crap. Yet they would never invest in macs because of the cost.

21. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

Totally agree with you. Look at the new laptops at CES. There is no compelling reasons buying a Mac laptop/desktop these days. Since 2012 there is neglect to the whole platform and the development in hard- and software is going on for years. Together with the increased prices and subpar specifications it’s a wonder their sales haven’t even fallen harder. Apple is totally out of touch with reality and their offerings are a complete mess. Thanks Tim Cook & Co, it almost looks like you want to fail on purpose.

Where is that R&D going? Even when Apple was just a tenth of the size the company is now, there was so much more coming out that famous pipeline. Anyone has a clue?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2019 ---
    The updates are only incremental and not competitive. I think Tim Cook & Co are testing loyalty to the brand.

Name one Apple product that is competitive these days and is good value for money.

22. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

So ? He must be ignoring people that prefer underperforming computers ?

23. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Actually, things have changed in corporate world, at least in the last 5 years or so. I work as a consultant and had the pleasure of if working in multiple companies from various industries , and yes, as a consultant we used to get horrible laptops, and even the manager would be carrying an outdated brick.

But like I said, the newer models are mac book lookalike kind of deal, Lenovo X series seems popular, and most configurations start at $1,200+. Corporate IT don't like Mac because they don't like supporting a third operating system (most already support Linux and Windows)

24. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Agreed. But it's not just the cost of the Mac, but the extremely high price of the extended warranty. And service parts are priced just as crazy. Even if a company is floating in money, the productivity difference does not justify the cost of macs. And macs are way too fragile for lots of true mobile usage.

25. Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

Back in the early 90's when I was in the tech service business I went to a Grid computer support class. They were a subsidiary of Tandy Corp i.e. Radio Shack. Their computers were built, marketed and sold to corporate as the indestructible laptop. Sales reps were instructed to literally and I mean literally to toss them across the room during their presentation and they were instructed to literally toss them in the trunk of their car. Because it's funny how employees tend to care less about what happens to the equipment they use when they don't have to pay for it.

You can't do that with a Macbook Pro or any of Apple's Mac laptops, they're too fragile. The other thing going against Apple in the corporate world is service. The corporate world prefers to have techs onsite to solve and fix hardware problems and replace parts when needed. You can't do that with Apple's laptops at least the current offerings from a few years back. Even if a tech could disassemble the laptop they are too time consuming when they are supporting hundreds if not thousands of devices.

Chromebook's as I mentioned earlier in this thread have hurt PC and Mac sales more than people realize. They are the iPad equivalent to the PC world. They are cheap, durable for the most part and require little maintenance.