Apple's Mac Sales Drop in Q4 2018 Amid Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

He's comparing statistics so he's got a point. Slowing less than competitors is the same as growing slightly faster than competitors. Just look at the numbers.

2. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Yes, you can run all kind of stuff on Windows to try to make it do what you like. You can even install a secondary OS to mitigate the flaws of the underlying host OS.
    It does not make your task easier or less complex. Now you have to deal with two independent systems that need to be maintained.

The OP was making the claim that Windows and MacOS are really not that different. I tend to disagree.
    I rather prefer the power of UNIX with a sane GUI that MacOS (still) is, to the Windows junkyard OS that falls apart whenever you most need it. Just read up on the major issues that crop up, whenever Windows releases one of their new 'builds'...

3. doctor-don macrumors 65816

People have reached a point where they are unwilling to spend even more money on another computer since they already have one - or two or three.

Where is the NEW replacement for my 2008 Mac Pro?

4. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

What nonsense "Slowing less than competitors is the same as growing slightly faster than competitors" so what prey tell does that make Lenovo who actually grew faster than competitors (cough cough Apple)?

5. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

if pc competition was going 0 mph and is now going -5mph, and apple was going 0mph and now going -4mph, Apple is still going faster than them.

6. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Yes. Why wouldn’t I be serious? Look around you. The average consumer can get by with current tablet offerings and smartphones for A LOT of the web browsing, email, video watching tasks they do. I won’t argue that certain work tasks require the processing power of a PC, but this report is in reference to the PC market as a whole, and it’s absolutely no surprise.

7. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

When I look at the numbers I see that Lenovo shipped 1 million computers more and Apple shipped 0.2 million computers less than the year before.

Some manufacturers are able to convince more people to buy their products. Apple is obviously not one of them.
    This is a fairly new trend. There has been a time where Apple prided itself to grow its user base, both in absolute and relative terms...

8. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

selling units =/= profits
    look at the percentages, not the actual units. apple has never shipped more than lenovo and we both know why. it doesn't take a genius (like me) to understand.

9. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

And (you seem to be dancing around it) Lenovo increased their growth 5.9% while Apple fell -3.8%

10. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

im not talking about lenovo read my first post again

11. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Sorry, silly me...
    I forgot, it is all about the bottom line now.

There was a time, when I had the feeling that Apple cared about the product. Nowadays it is only the profit that counts. So sad :(

12. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

how does "selling =/= profits" somehow "== Apple doesn't care about the product"?

13. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

Of course you're not talking about Lenovo; I mean you just felt the need to comment on a post that explicitly points out Lenovo but for some reason that's not what you wanted to talk about.

Wonder why?.....

14. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

look at who i was replying to and what they were talking about. now there's an idea!

15. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Apple could have a division that sells cotton-wool, no matter, if they make trillion dollars every quarter from that division.

Compare only sales of equal items - PC to PC, Pad to Pads, phones to phones. Why not do just that?

Lenovo is successful compared to Apple - we are talking only computers here.

Apple - not successful in selling computers. AAPL is successful (not that much in the last three months), from its "cotton wool" section!

16. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Yeah most in iPhones sales. But it’s about the future of the company that has alienated a lot of older customers like myself that have been with them since the return of Jobs.

17. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

I mean, they cared about getting their product into peoples hand to be used as a creative tool.
    It was never a cheap tool, but one that offered you good value for money.

When they switched to Intel processors and introduced the aluminium Macbooks, Apple actually grew faster than the rest of the market, because people saw and appreciated this added value in their computers.

18. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

How about this for an idea! You don't want to talk about the topic put forward on this thread; start your own thread where you can talk about what you want until the cows come home.

19. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

PC marketshare has always been higher. Dude's point was that apple was slowing at a lesser pace. and that's true. numbers dont lie
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    if you read it you'd see it is exactly what this thread is about. see the title of this thread is "
    Apple's Mac Sales Drop in Q4 2018 Amid Worldwide PC Shipment Decline"
    and that is what was being referred to. you can make a thread about whatever you'd like though i wont stop you.

20. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

No.

Just look at the actual numbers sold and the yearly change within the company - Apple sold less than, and Lenovo sold more than they sold the previous year of their respective computers.

Not seeing anything Genius here - or at the Apple store:rolleyes::mad:! They speak car salesman now.

21. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

right but again, look at who i was replying to originally. and look what he was replying to. then you will understand...

22. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Anyone?

If that includes us who use BootCamp partition from time to time, that your assertion is false.

23. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

The trend from All manufactures of Laptops, not easily or not at all upgradable. Especially the ultra thin ones. The other trend, using networks for storage, cloud, NAS, usb drives etc for HD storage on Laptops. The
    I extrapolated the numbers over 10 years as an estimate. Had the purchase of a new Mac been done at four years the savings would still be the same the expense would have gone up by the new purchase price. Ten years was unique and notable.

The exact savings are, to your point unique to individuals and corporations. The point however, Mac’s do save, how much as noted. And because of Apple OS and complete control over hardware and software the Mac has a better chance of getting updates longer and thus are useable longer.

Windows has to maintain hardware drivers for hundreds of devices. Apple just a handful. The echo system makes the TCO and longevity of the Mac better then the PC with the latest software available to more legacy systems then Windows.

As a guidance for purchasing. Just like the estimate of one cars resale value compared to the next, exact cannot be determined. However, a good guidance for purchasing car A over car B. Same with the Mac hardware.

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Mac sales are down less than entire industry. Have to look at the larger picture in the PC market. Revenues have also remained relatively flat.

Mac certainly fared better than several players and the industry as a whole. Apple also did it while increasing the prices, meaning they aren't just selling at razor thin margins for market share like Lenovo and Dell.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    The point of that was $25B is still an ENORMOUS business, but Apple has other gargantuan businesses making it only appear small in their world.

The Mac biz is half the size of Disney. Think about that.

25. pier macrumors 6502a

pier

Most Mac devices sold are laptops.

Also, the iMac was refreshed substantially in 2017. A lot of people were expecting a CPU refresh in late 2018 but (like I predicted) it didn't make much sense considering a) Apple is a phone company now and b) desktops are niche computers. I wouldn't expect an iMac refresh less than every 2 years.