Apple's Mac Sales Drop in Q4 2018 Amid Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Lord. The point wasn't to compare the companies...it was to give you a general idea on the SIZE of a Mac business that appears small within the enormous total business of Apple.

Apple has an enormous Mac business and it's pretty much setting revenue records (relatively flat y/y) but way up over time.

Give me FACTS to show people aren't happy. Apple has the highest customer satisfaction in the industry. You know who isn't happy? People on Windows.

I know facts are hard to grasp, but the Mac business is still a very large business and important part of Apple, doing fantastically well. If people didn't like them, they wouldn't be setting revenue records for Mac.

2. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

The more I work with tablets, the more I love my Mac.
    iPad Pro is just crap in comparison to a pre Touch Bar thin keyboard Mac.
    A MacBook Pro is a beautiful and reliable, versatile robust daily runner, my iPad Pro a crappy play tool.

I am a twinkle away to get surface book ...

3. pier macrumors 6502a

pier

I think the main point here is that Apple's market share has remained flat for the past 6 years after a phenomenal growth in the previous years.

In 2013 the trashcan Mac Pro was released and the Mac has been stumbling ever since.

4. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

Tim will hire You.
    Mac could be way more, double their market share, if apple would invest in it, which they don’t do

5. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

The whole PC industry has basically been a turd for growth. It's been largely negative, particularly the last 3-4 years...mostly because of iPads and larger phones.

6. pier macrumors 6502a

pier

I also own a 12.9 iPad Pro and I agree. It's great for consuming media and using the pencil, but otherwise it's pretty useless compared to a laptop/desktop.

The hardware has great potential, but iOS is too restrictive and dumb.

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Doubtful. It might be bigger at the expense of iPad and iPhone, plus the future is mobile...period. Most people just want to consume on their iPad/iPhone.

The A series chips are so powerful that when iPad inevitably gets Mac OS, laptops/PCs will be a niche business.

8. pier macrumors 6502a

pier

Growth is irrelevant when considering market share.

10% is 10% independently of the total.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

This report shows their share actually increased. Apple isn't trying to get the most market share because you have to give your hardware away to get it.

10. pier macrumors 6502a

pier

That has been the narrative since the first iPad, and yet here we are. The vast majority of people still use a laptop or desktop to work.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    Market share has remained flat since 2012.
    Totally agree. I have the cash and want to upgrade my 13'' 2014 rMBP, but the current offerings are terrible.

11. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Yaas. Not the point.

We all know how big Apple's Mac section is, and how satisfied their consumers are - typing this on a 2015 MBP 15"; very happy.

Then, things happened ... :mad:

12. Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

You're forgetting Chromebook's. They are relatively inexpensive and your data follows you via the cloud, schools have been going the Chromebook route because of costs. I do agree that for basic use iPad's, iPhone's as well as Android Phones have evolved such that you can do a lot with them that otherwise would require a computer. Chromebook's have the benefits of a mobile device in a laptop shell and don't hurt the wallet.

The other thing regarding PC's and not Mac's is that Windows has evolved to the point where it runs really well on older hardware. I run Windows 10 on several laptops that are 11-12 years old and they get the job done nicely.

Most of the PC upgrades in the past have been related to PC games and that as well has gotten to the point where a newer GPU can pretty much fix performance issues. I'm still getting solid performance from a 5 yr old PC build and most of my games 85-90% of them I can play on HIGH to Max settings.

13. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

The first iPad wasn't close to ready for MacOS neither was the 4th...the new ones are.

Mac Revenue is up significantly since 2012. Apple isn't interested in market share at the peril of margin. Worked out well for them.
    Chromebooks have no margin and wouldn't be something Apple would be interested in duplicating.

14. simidene macrumors member

About time for apple to run OSX on the iPad and get with the times?

15. Chambers McMac macrumors newbie

Chambers McMac

Nice post. I agree. What about the iMac Pro? A little expensive but would rock for editing video right out of the box.

Btw I still happily use my old Mac Pro, Mac Mini and 13 inch MacBook Pro. All these computers purchased around 2011/2012/2013.

16. cb3 macrumors member

I'm ready to replace three Macs. Just waiting for something I like to come out.

17. slide_to_unlock macrumors newbie

slide_to_unlock

I just hope my 5 year old Macbook Pro will last for 5 more years. After that CEO Scott Forstall will probably launch Mac with a leather cover with a tactile keyboard. I will buy that. :D. At this price point even Bill Gates can't afford Mac not that he would buy Mac but just saying.

18. timber macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly (some articles I read) Apple's Mac business is nowadays essentially about laptops.

If they are dropping just when their supposedly workhorse laptop is updated and the MBP is quite fresh that is not good.

PC overall business may be going down but Apple had everything going this quarter.

19. Ritchie Mac macrumors newbie

Bye
    I hope you will be happy

20. RandomDSdevel macrumors member

21. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Correct. If you don't consider the pathetic 128 and 256 Gig SSD the MacBook Air starts at $1600!

22. theSpringZone macrumors member

theSpringZone

I’m seriously considering a Windows machine for the first time in 20 years. Am I crazy?

23. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Yes:confused:.

Not your fault - you are being driven crazy!:D;)

24. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

No, open minded, which I would consider a good thing.

25. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Market share and market volume are two absolutely different things. The company may grow market share (if it has superior products) when the market as a whole is tanking. Apple not being able to grow their share means that they lost the edge in design.