Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Apple has kinda been not releasing good desktop power Macs. Mac Pro is well old... and iMac Pro is pending.

They need to get better at releasing models and yearly refreshes

Reactions: HJM.NL

FreeAngel

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2017
What if There is No Mac Pro or MacBook Pro's next June?
What if Apple Pulls a fast one and announces the switch to ARM Processors?
Worse yet. What if they introduce ARM Laptops running IOS?
You know MacOS keeps looking more and more like IOS and IOS like MacOS
Like there is a merge coming to 1 OS for both Macs and iPhones and iPads
I really find it hard to believe that if some fool drops 5 grand on a supped up iMac called the iMac Pro that Apple will continue to come out with new Versions of MacOS to support your 5 grand Investment. 5 Grand and UP I should say
I will Never drop 5 Grand on a base iMac Pro when the MacOS may not even exist 3 years out
Just saying. Mac Sales look gloomy. If we go to war with North Korea or Iran and the economy takes a deep nose dive then Mac Sales will dive Also.
We are living in very troubled uncertain times.
I personally would not drop any more than $2500 for a new Fast Mac
But I think macOS is on its way out or scrapped for IOS on Macs

Reactions: JosephAW and NIKKG

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Market has always been hard to track due to PCs often being custom built. How do you determine a PC sale that’s not prebuilt? By CPUs sales? GPU? Number of OS licenses?

The actually PC market is near impossible to track. These IDC reports are always misleading because they don’t account for all computers. So it’s really hard to go back in time and actually answer the question.

I guess the correct headline should be “prebuilt market is in decline”

True. Which leaves only macs to a certain decline, since it is impossible to custom build them.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
The PC market has been in decline for a good while. That doesn’t make the new MacBook “Pro”s are any less disappointing. And I’m speaking as an owner of a beefed up 15” MBP for design work. That thing is a pain in the rear, and I can not recommend it to anyone in good conscience, unless they’re locked into using Sketch and FCPX.

What don't you like about it? The touch bar, the limited ports?

I've been reading about DRAM shortages for over 10 years. What are these damn idiots doing? Build another manufacturing plant, idiots.

The DRAM market is it tends to swing between gluts and shortages. You've probably only been noticing the news articles about shortages.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Not surprised to see HP is up. Their Spectre lineup is awesome. Great features at a great price IMO.

Yup. I got one of the new Spectre x360's at the end of January. Every but as good as the previous string of Macbooks and the touch + pen is awesome. All at a price ($1500) about $1000 less than a comparable MacBook Pro.

Unless Apple does some new great things I don't think I'll be back when my iMac needs replacing.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyleh22

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
This does not account for those users who replace their own gpus or CPU’s or do custom kits. The gaming pc industry is worth billions. And as off the shelf computers get more expensive for “design”, many more people looking for workstation class, or gaming class hardware will by components and build out their own.

Doubtful. As much as I like built it yourself, the vast majority of computer users buy something off the shelf. Be it from an OEM or a local PC vendor.

Example you can look up. Ryzen sales are brand new. There are virtually no prebuilt selling them yet. However they have sold millions already.

All the OEMs had Ryzen computers on Day 1 or shortly thereafter.

Best Buy has 121 Ryzen systems available from Dell, CyberPower, Lenovo, Asus, HP, Acer, etc. 2 of which, Lenovos I could walk in and out with today.

HP's website has 6 Ryzen computers available today in various form factors.

I'm sure Dell and Lenovo also have many. As does the other OEM's.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Between the ports and the touch bar I think Apple really stunted their sales. But unless they put out a comparable non touch bar model or one with more ports, we can't know for sure. All I know is that I'm still rocking my 2009 MBP because I'm not getting that touchbar. I've spent too much money on Itunes to not be able to pause, play, FF, RW, raise and lower the volume with one click. I use those keys a thousand times a day. I still can't understand how Apple doesn't realize they are used for Itunes media. Something that makes them a lot of money.

I have a mid 2014 MBP 13”

What is holding me from purchasing a new laptop is:

1. Keyboard (fix this, nothing was wrong with the non-butterfly keys. If you cannot make it comparable if not better than the one being replaced, leave it be.)

2. Trackpad (nothing was wrong with the size of the track, leave it be. There is a cursor speed setting if this needs adjusting by the end-user. The present size gets in the way of productivity.)

3. Super Retina Display with minimal bezels (the Mac line is different from the iOS line, you do not have to wait for a new feature to be introduced on the iPhone first. Competitors have 4K resolution in a portable device, for a premium priced product this is a lame omission.)

4. Mag Safe (bring one of your best innovations to the laptop back, seriously what are you thinking?)

5. USB-C TB3 (two ports minimum on the MB model then 4 ports on the MBP 13” and 6-8 ports on the MBP 15” model.)

6. Dongles (include a couple to ease the transition. For the price being charged this is just being petty on Apple’s part. 3.5mm headphone dongle was included as a transitional item. Aid your loyal customers base to adjust to your vision of the future by offering some assistance.)

7. SD, HDMI, Lightening (either include USB-C on both iPhone X, iPad Pro and Mac hardware or provide a lightening port on the Mac to use the provided lightening earphones. People still require HDMI and an SD option, Apple TV is not the solution or replacement for an HDMI port.)

8. TouchBar (needs to be rethought, it’s a miniature touchscreen that is horizontal to the display, who though of this placement. A user has to reach past the TrackPad and keyboard to interact with it, at this point you might as well have had it built into the screen or below it vertically. Why no place it below the TrackPad or even the keyboard, minimizing the reach and not making it awkward for productivity.)

9. Speakers (why are these firing down onto a surface, there is not enough travel clearance compared to the iMac for any suitable sound quality. This is a simple solution that will be far superior compared to anything presently offered.)

10. SSD (the base storage needs to be increased, what is this a sub 1K laptop.)

These are ten simple shortcomings that can be addressed next year.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Yup. I got one of the new Spectre x360's at the end of January. Every but as good as the previous string of Macbooks and the touch + pen is awesome. All at a price ($1500) about $1000 less than a comparable MacBook Pro.

Unless Apple does some new great things I don't think I'll be back when my iMac needs replacing.

I would have probably never looked to move away from a Mac if Apple would produce something in the Mac line that is a bit innovative.... and a Touchbar, animated poop emojis, and the latest hip hop band ain't it. I don't want to do my work on a big iPad, and I don't want to carry around two computers when I travel. The Surface Pro (and similar from HP, Samsung, etc.) is the perfect form factor for me and Apple makes nothing that matches. That got me looking at other stuff... I liked what I saw... I love it now that I have it... and its doubtful I'll be back. But if they change their ways I'll consider it when I need to buy something else. But that change in laptop led me to also look at something else for my phone... and my watch. This is how things slowly turn for a company... one customer at a time.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I'm just wondering who bought 4.6 million Macs in the last 3 months despite all their recent flaws. That's all. :)

Easy answer: all the people that had no other choice.

If you are invested in the Eco-system, and you need another machine (your old machine died, got stolen, ... insert any other reason ...) you go to the Apple Store and buy what is on display. You have no choice, you buy what is there.

Some of us have no choice - so sales never drop to zero overnight, but it feels like a trend has broken and people are starting to turn away from Macs...

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
That's because they don't get what the Mac consumer wants.
I did buy my MBP this year, but it was a Grade A 15" 2.6 i7 9,1 mid 2012 model for less than $700. Exactly the computer what I wanted minus the 17" display. User upgradable hard drive and ram and replaceable battery and all the ports included without using any dongles.
I couldn't be more pleased as I topped off the ram at 16GB and installed a 2TB SSHD. And as the prices of ssds drop I'll upgrade that again.
Unfortunately this purchase doesn't boost Apple's numbers for this year. And I don't see any current models I want in the future. I think this model is going to be last one I'll be able to buy without going to a new architecture when they drop the x86 chipsets. Sad.

Last edited:

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
I would have probably never looked to move away from a Mac if Apple would produce something in the Mac line that is a bit innovative.... and a Touchbar, animated poop emojis, and the latest hip hop band ain't it. I don't want to do my work on a big iPad, and I don't want to carry around two computers when I travel. The Surface Pro (and similar from HP, Samsung, etc.) is the perfect form factor for me and Apple makes nothing that matches. That got me looking at other stuff... I liked what I saw... I love it now that I have it... and its doubtful I'll be back. But if they change their ways I'll consider it when I need to buy something else. But that change in laptop led me to also look at something else for my phone... and my watch. This is how things slowly turn for a company... one customer at a time.

Funny, same happened to me. First was the laptop. Then a Mid Range Android phone that, while it has its rough edges, I'm really liking better than my iPhone and I still keep both. Then was the Huawei Watch 2 to go with the phone. That's a better fitness device but needs more polish.

I'll probably be back if they do touch + pen on a laptop but honestly Windows 10 isn't that bad and I love the touch + pen features and the convertible type machine.

UglyCowboy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2017
I have a mid 2012 15" MBP that had a failing GPU. This was a known issue and Apple changed the logic board for free. That's a new board, CPU, and GPU. The screen was also peeling so they replaced that for free. I decided to keep fork over $200 for a new battery. That gives me a new battery, keyboard, trackpad, and chassis. Except for the SSD and wireless card I have a brand new computer. A clean install of 10.13 and everything is running great. It's important for me to keep this mid 2012 working until Apple comes to their senses and produces a worthy upgrade. My employer has given me a brand new touchbar 15" MBP that I cannot stand and refuse to use. Having used them side by side for a while it's really sad how much of a downgrade the new touchbar MBP's are. The keyboard and oversized trackpad are both very glitchy to the point of being unusable (trackpad issues are worse than the keyboard). This is unforgivable considering how crucial these are. The lack of ports and SD card is painful as I always forget to bring my dongles. ESC key on a non tactile touchbar was a horrible decision. One other thing that people don't mention is the hinge. 2012 - 2015 MBP have very solid hinges while the touchbar version is very flimsy and feels cheap. The new SSD benchmarks significantly faster but in everyday usage I don't notice it too much. The only true upgrade is the screen. The colors and contrast are a big step up. Everything else is a downgrade. The only time I even use my touchbar MBP is when I need to VPN into the company network. Everything else is done on my "refurbished" mid 2012. I think 2012 - 2015 MBP's represent the best of Apple hardware engineering. The touchbar version screams of cost cutting and gimmicks. Cook and company should be ashamed.

Apple had a program not long ago for the mid-2012s which had dying batteries. They happened to be out of parts, so they were giving people new systems instead until they could rebuild their parts supply up. I just had to pay the equivalent of a new battery. The program has been over for a while now, but the threads dealing with it are still around here. Mine was a 2017 with i7, 16GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD, in silver.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Well for a while it was 'Apple isn't losing sales as fast as everyone else', now they are below the average so I can't wait to hear the latest excuse.

Perhaps: the old macs are so good people never need to buy another one? :rolleyes:
Well, it's not an excuse, but it is true that Macs (and windows PCs) last a very long time now. My rMBP is 4 years old now and performs as well as the day I got it, maybe better. 15 years ago, each generation made fairly significant performance gains. Now, unless you do very demanding work, any decent machine from the last few years is more than enough power, so there's not the same compelling reason to upgrade. And I'm not making excuses for Apple, just talking about the industry sales decline in general. Increased reliance on tablets and smartphones is a big factor too, I'm sure.

Reactions: Ener Ji and bwintx

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Not surprising. Apple is clearly looking to push the Mac out the window. Eons between updates. Years-old specs on "new" Macs. Pro community tossed aside like yesterday's garbage. Mediocre and buggy software. Asinine removal of ports to stroke their ego.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I guess no one cares these are estimates by Gartner who is known to be wrong consistently. When we are talking about small 5% estimated declines, this could easily be an error on the estimates.

Only Apple knows the true number and it will be reported November 2.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
My point is what I've already said in my previous post. Yes, other's in general have seen a drop in sales. But this is an Apple-oriented site, so Apple and Macs would be the focus of the comments here. If you wish do discuss sales figures from HP or Dell, go for it.
If an entire industry declines, and a company declines at a similar rate, there’s nothing to blame on the company... but you clearly want to blame Apple.

Reactions: deanthedev

beartjie

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
Glad to see that they are dropping sales. Apple no longer equates quality. I have 3 iMac systems on my desk right no that crashes every few minutes, hangs, and fails opening applications. And sending the devices to Apple in South Africa is not worth the time and effort because they employ a bunch of retards.

One iMac crashes the whole time and I can't install an OS on the system, and it can't do a diagnostic. Apple South Africa finds no problem. Asked them to load an OS, and they can't, but there is nothing wrong with the system. I asked them to upgrade the HDD to an 3 TB HDD or Fusion drive, they can't. They can't even do a new 2TB HDD or an SSD drive.

So I hope that this hurts them and hurts them good so that Mr Cook can look at what Apple stood for a little while back and return to a quality product that had little to no problems. Not the new systems that are the worst junk ever created by Apple

Reactions: Naraxus

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
What some call "whining" some call "discussing," which includes both positive and negative points of view. If someone wants only wants positive opinions on Apple, they should start AppleIsPerfect.com and see how that goes.

Well yes, I guess some would call it ‘discussing’. /shrug

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
What some call "whining" some call "discussing," which includes both positive and negative points of view. If someone wants only wants positive opinions on Apple, they should start AppleIsPerfect.com and see how that goes.

That would be true if there was a normal mix of positive and negative comments. When posters make nothing but negative comments the only reasonable conclusion is they are whiners. Or trolls.

It’s simply not normal for people who use a company’s products, that they made a conscious decision to purchase with their hard-earned money, to do nothing but bash that product. The normal course of action would have been to not buy it in the first place, considering how terrible it is.

Reactions: bwintx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.