Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the imminent opening of Apple Marina Bay Sands, its third and arguably most distinctive retail store in the country of Singapore.

apple-marina-bay-sands-singapore.jpg
Image credit: Today

Apple Marina Bay Sands has a unique dome-like design unlike any other Apple store. The spherical structure sits on a body of water that was previously occupied by the mega-nightclub Avalon on Singapore's Marina Bay, home to the country's most renowned integrated luxury resort.

Apple's webpage for the retail location says the company will "soon open the doors" to the new store, which will be the third to open in the region in just over three years.
We will soon open the doors to our new store by the Bay. Apple Marina Bay Sands will be at the heart of creativity, a place we’ve made for you to capture your ideas and passions. It will be a space for you to explore, connect and create something new. We can't wait to see where your imagination takes you.
Apple's iconic Jewel store opened in Singapore's main airport in July of last year. The company opened its first Singapore store in May 2017 at Knightsbridge mall in Orchard Road. Apple Orchard Road was also the first Apple store to open its doors in South-east Asia.

Article Link: Apple's Marina Bay Sands Retail Store to Open Soon in Singapore

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattlike

LuminousFX

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
Last edited:

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
I think it looks pretty tacky to be honest. Like something you’d see in a turn of the century sci-fi movie. To each their own I guess.
It doesn't actually look like that and I have no idea where that picture came from. It's matt grey and actually looks pretty cool. I gather that matt grey exterior is either all, or partially, LCD panels. We've been watching the slow pace of construction for what seems like an eternity, will be nice to see it actually open.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Yes I can’t wait to visit it. The one is Jewel is too small, the one is Orchard is way too crowded. Huge queue because of COVID-19, they had to put AC on the street for people who wait!

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
is that a render? looks strange.

Edit: here is another view from JUNE 2019
took them a while eh?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-24 um 12.20.05.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-24 um 12.20.05.png
    275.4 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: DreamyLucid

stgall

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
It doesn't actually look like that and I have no idea where that picture came from. It's matt grey and actually looks pretty cool. I gather that matt grey exterior is either all, or partially, LCD panels. We've been watching the slow pace of construction for what seems like an eternity, will be nice to see it actually open.

I agree that it doesn’t much like this TBH.

If you get close enough you’ll see that the exterior lighting isn’t actually lighting or LED panels - it’s highly reflective foil. I couldn’t believe it at first as it’s so bright, even during the day. But it’s just a tinted wrap in the colours of Siri (amazing) which reflects the water or the surrounding spotlights as shown in this picture.

I’ll try to grab some more photos tomorrow.

stuarty2003

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
Singapore

michaelandrl

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
I hope that lighting is temporary. The last time I was there it just looked like plain aluminum panels. I wonder if they’ll use the underwater mall entrance for more than just an escalator.

Not a big fan because it’s not as smooth a circle as it can be. The panels are not curved enough. I wish they just repurposed the old structure that’s similar to the LV store. That was more striking.

What exactly is the 'innovation' here? No windows when you have this view is just stupid. Apple puts these huge glass facades into stores in places where there's nothing to see. And here on this Marina Bay backdrop it's just a metal ball...

There’s glass on the other side facing the bay and near the outside entrance.

CthuluLemon

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2020
I hope that lighting is temporary. The last time I was there it just looked like plain aluminum panels. I wonder if they’ll use the underwater mall entrance for more than just an escalator.

Not a big fan because it’s not as smooth a circle as it can be. The panels are not curved enough. I wish they just repurposed the old structure that’s similar to the LV store. That was more striking.

There’s glass on the other side facing the bay and near the outside entrance.

Is there a nice view of all the influencers lining up on the top of the Marina Bay Sands? It's always a laugh to see people queue for the opportunity to pretend to live glamorously.

Reactions: MartyvH and mazz0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.