Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Marina Bay Sands Retail Store to Open Soon in Singapore

steve09090

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
What exactly is the 'innovation' here? No windows when you have this view is just stupid. Apple puts these huge glass facades into stores in places where there's nothing to see. And here on this Marina Bay backdrop it's just a metal ball...
So you’ve been inside and know you can’t see outside?

Innovative is changing the norms. They were the first to make the big glass box for retail, they made the space ship HQ. Having a building like this pushes architecture in new directions. I don’t have a problem you not liking new designs (some will always like square wooden boxes), but it doesn’t mean it’s not innovative.

Comment

CthuluLemon

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2020
So you’ve been inside and know you can’t see outside?

Innovative is changing the norms. They were the first to make the big glass box for retail, they made the space ship HQ. Having a building like this pushes architecture in new directions. I don’t have a problem you not liking new designs (some will always like square wooden boxes), but it doesn’t mean it’s not innovative.

Guys, Apple hasn't been innovative in the personal computer or mobile device field in a decade, their not going to be innovative in architecture. The company you loved is long gone, learn to live with the circular Jumbotron in a lake, I'm sure with the right lighting artist it could look half way toward decent at night.

If Steve Jobs were alive to see what Tim Cook has made of Apple, I'm sure he would spit in Tim's face (assuming Jobs considers it worth the saliva). Apple is quickly setting itself up to be the Microsoft of the 2020s. Instead of a company we admire, Apple will be the company we begrudgingly deal with and work around.

Last edited:
Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Guys, Apple hasn't been innovative in the personal computer or mobile device field in a decade, their not going to be innovative in architecture. The company you loved is long gone, learn to live with the circular Jumbotron in a lake, I'm sure with the right lighting artist it could look half way toward decent at night.

If Steve Jobs were alive to see what Tim Cook has made of Apple, I'm sure he would spit in Tim's face (assuming Jobs considers it worth the saliva). Apple is quickly setting itself up to be the Microsoft of the 2020s. Instead of a company we admire, Apple will be the company we begrudgingly deal with and work around.
LOL. Good joke.
Maybe you should read the books about Steve Jobs again. I don't think you even understand Jobs' vision (and why he himself handpicked Cook, and had Cook be the shadow CEO while Jobs' be the face of Apple).

Comment

jweee

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2020
Hmmmm. This seems reminiscent of something from Marina Bay.

The project mimics this orderly, repetitive pattern and soft forms, achieving a visual harmony from the contrast between nature and the man-made environment, and between the firmly grounded masculine skyscrapers and the hovering feminine object.

urchins choshine.png

Urchins concept

Installed (2016)

Reactions: steve09090
Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Apple today announced the imminent opening of Apple Marina Bay Sands, its third and arguably most distinctive retail store in the country of Singapore.

Image credit: Today

Apple Marina Bay Sands has a unique dome-like design unlike any other Apple store. The spherical structure sits on a body of water that was previously occupied by the mega-nightclub Avalon on Singapore's Marina Bay, home to the country's most renowned integrated luxury resort.

Apple's webpage for the retail location says the company will "soon open the doors" to the new store, which will be the third to open in the region in just over three years.
Apple's iconic Jewel store opened in Singapore's main airport in July of last year. The company opened its first Singapore store in May 2017 at Knightsbridge mall in Orchard Road. Apple Orchard Road was also the first Apple store to open its doors in South-east Asia.

Article Link: Apple's Marina Bay Sands Retail Store to Open Soon in Singapore

This concept is REALLY cool. Wow, but the panels are part of the design? I’m hoping better pictures come out Lol. Looks a little ugly.

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

The mantis stalks the cicada, unaware of the oriole behind.

The critics are so fixated about Apple possibly ceding the innovation high ground to devices like foldable phones that they are completely blind to the lead that Apple has in wearables. Or perhaps, it is precisely because the competition knows that they cannot hope to compete with Apple in wearables that they have chosen to double down on smartphones, not realising that the more Apple rounds out their ecosystem, the harder it will be to get Apple users to switch however enticing the competing device might be.

And because Apple is even willing to have an ecosystem in the first place, the competition (such as Samsung) will find that they have little chance of going head-on with Apple.

Comment

JWiLL1988

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017

This type of lunacy is always fun to read

Reactions: steve09090
Comment

NavySilver

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
New York, NY
It's not the sphere that's off-putting... but the fact that there's such an amazing opportunity presented here to introduce natural lighting, and from what I can see it is 100% reliant on LEDs inside. Or maybe some of the store is actually beneath water and light permeates that.

Comment

infelix

macrumors member
May 23, 2020
Very interesting building to say the least, would love to take some photos there.

Comment

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Nice. It is a good place for an Apple store. The walkway to the left connects to the walkway of a multi-story mall. Tons of high-end retail in the mall. When we were there we wondered about why the North Face was selling outerwear in a place that is in the 80s or higher year-round. I guess people have so much money they will buy anything.

Reactions: MartyvH
Comment

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Is there a nice view of all the influencers lining up on the top of the Marina Bay Sands? It's always a laugh to see people queue for the opportunity to pretend to live glamorously.

The pool at MBS is the worse/best. So many people up there with their phones shooting selfies. I went up at 6 AM to swim/lounge when the place was empty. Left by 9 when the crowd started to build.

Reactions: MartyvH
Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I miss Singapore, about time I will be there again.

Is there a nice view of all the influencers lining up on the top of the Marina Bay Sands? It's always a laugh to see people queue for the opportunity to pretend to live glamorously.

Haha
The ones that live glamorously won't stay there, there are far better places in Sg than that "Tourist trap".

Comment

tomwhom

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016

Many AAPL shareholders/millionaires here disagree with you!

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Why does this one looks so different from the usually wood and metal look? Also a store in the middle of the water, I have not thought of that.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.