Apple's Massive 'Steve Jobs Patent' for the iPhone Reconfirmed in its Entirety

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2013.

1. TMay macrumors 68000

Especially in the early days, Steve wanted control over the user experience.

To wit, the variability of user experience in Android OEM's and individual products of OEM's with an more open system.

2. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

3. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

This is good to see... I too remember how mind-blowing the iPhone 1 intro was... how it was so different than anything before it... but yet, so many Fandroids totally forget this and want to do nothing but bash Apple for helping give them what they enjoy so much today. I find this so amazing.

Good for Apple... I hope this helps them... they deserve recognition and compensation for the innovations they put together to make the iPhone. That is what the patent system was designed for... not patent trolls or produce red-tape to allow others to steal innovations and not pay a cent.

4. kunai macrumors regular

s/Forstall/Jobs/g

Sounds like what the Sculleyists said in the 80s... ;)

5. apolloa macrumors G4

I think people haven't seen many phones if they thought the first iPhone was 'mind blowing'. But it would also depend what country your in, Motorola Star Tacs weren't exactly cutting edge at the time....

The first iPhone regenerated the market, it showed what a well thought out interface could do and worked well. But it wasn't really revolutionary, full touch screen phones had existed for years already and next the latest Nokia's it looked positively ridiculously low specced and high priced.
    But for me Apple lost it's appeal and edge in mobile phones the minute it launched iOS7.

And I should re-iterate when I slam America's patent system, I mean the entire system, not just patents covering Apple, and I thought Obama was going to do something about it?

6. onetwofour macrumors newbie

No one cared or knew about the ones that existed before the iPhone. I think that's what makes it revolutionary.

7. tbrand7 macrumors 6502

tbrand7

Scott forstall is a software guy. He may be an amazing software guy, but that's all he is. A software guy. Not a product visionary. Steve was a product visionary. Scott wouldn't be able to turn things around like Steve did simply because Scott is a software guy, and Apple is a lot more than just software.

8. Pyrrhic Victory macrumors regular

Well he's obviously not on the patent.

9. apolloa macrumors G4

Plenty of people in Europe cared and knew, don't be so naive to claim the iPhone was somehow the only phone.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I stopped reading at the bold. this is summery:[​IMG]

11. Rettun1 macrumors regular

I know! I'm so excited!!

12. onetwofour macrumors newbie

Where did I claim iPhone was the only phone. And define plenty of people. I didn't literally mean no one ever knew of it, my point was those phones were nothing more than throwaways

13. apolloa macrumors G4

If I was somewhere like that I sure as hell wouldn't be typing on here for you to stop reading! :D Looks out window at dark miserable day...

No they were not, they were way more advance then the first iPhone, they had decent camera's, expandable memory, established devs making apps, GPS, 3G, video calling etc. It is your opinion they were 'throw away' but the iPhone would never have existed if it wasn't for makers like Nokia. The iPhone only very recently got the ability to perform video calling over cellular, it had nothing to with doing it right as everyone else has been doing it for years and years!

14. onetwofour macrumors newbie

Ok admittedly I may not have known about these phones. Can you name one, I'd like to read up on it.

15. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Actually, that name is not even trademarked any more.

Apple lost their attempt to register it after Jeff Han wrote the USPTO and explained that it was a generic industry term.

Apple had to abandon it back in 2011.

What patent are you referring to?

Apple didn't invent multi-touch. It's been around for decades.

He designed the case, but this is not a patent on the iPhone design.

This is a patent on scrolling and flipping through pictures. That's all.

(Although, wow, there are a lot of developer names on this patent. It could be an engineer joke: "How many Apple engineers does it take to make a list scroll straight?")

16. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

Or someone who appreciates things on a very deep and curious level and doesn't take things for granted.

17. onetwofour macrumors newbie

You make it sound so trivial.

18. apolloa macrumors G4

This was out at the same time as the first iPhone:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n95-1716.php

It was a legend at the time, their are many phones that have come and gone and it's very ironic that from America, where you we're starved of great handsets, we have ended up having the two main mobile operating systems! Not that I'm complaining.

Nokia also made a bit if a brick like smart phone with a powered optical zoom camera in 2006:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N93

And then we had the Sony Ericsson Symbian powered touch screen phones:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sony-Ericsson-P800_id130
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_P900
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_p910-846.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_P990

And they were a descendant of the Ericsson R380 launched in 2000 which is kinda considered the first smartphone, although I don't know if it was.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Ericsson-R380_id582

They all had some style but the iPhone was the best design by far, as I said it lacked features but showed a stagnant mobile market what could be done and was a breath of fresh air, the rest has been history. But Android would have happened regardless I would think. I have never considered the iPhone as revolutionary because of what went before, the iPad I have though as sure we had tablets before but not many people had heard of them or used them! The iPad made people ditch their computers!

19. onetwofour macrumors newbie

Well...out of those the n95 seems to be the only one that had any real success relative to the iPhone, so my original statement still stands I think.

The iPhone wasnt the first, and I never said it was, it wasn't the best, and I never said it was, but it was definitely the one that everyone noticed and by your own admission the best designed.

Some of those are downright fugly.

Apple made a product that everyone wanted, not just one country or continent or group. That's what made the iPhone, revolutionary.

20. apolloa macrumors G4

It struggled to begin with I think, because of it's price and Apple was still a bit of a geek only brand known for it's iPod at the time. And like I said their were many others, far too many to list, and that's just Europe, if you look at Korea, Taiwan, China etc they had handsets even more advanced years ago!

IMO the iPhone 4 design has been the best so far, if a little heavy, but it's still not really been revolutionary IMO, maybe more visionary?

Maybe they'll do the same for wearable tech? But that's kind of an unexplored market.

21. onetwofour macrumors newbie

Visionary is a good way to put it, yes. Apple has never been a company to flat out invent things but I think people are lying to themselves when they say that what Apple does is no big deal or bring up past products as evidence that apple didnt do it first. As if that somehow negates what they've done.

They create products that millions upon millions of people want every single qtr. If that's not a revolution in tech, I don't know what is . Do you?

22. apolloa, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

apolloa macrumors G4

haha, like I said we will see what happens with wearable tech, the iPad was more revolutionary IMO. Because it was something pretty new to the masses and these day's people ditch computers for a tablet. I think that is more revolutionary.
    Oh and I should add ereaders, that's also revolutionary, both these devices have changed the way people do things.

23. Aye macrumors regular

And too much misinformation as well, gathered from yet some more rumor-mongering sites.

24. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

It still reminds me an awful lot of my old Samsung i300 Palm Phone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_SPH-i300

I love my iPhone more, but there were a LOT of similarities.

My later Treo Palm OS phone had a camera (but unfortunately that crappy keyboard).

Gary

Attached Files: