Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onetwofour

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
And too much misinformation as well, gathered from yet some more rumor-mongering sites.

I wouldn't call it misinformation as it's true, but the "that's it" and how many engineers thing make it sound like that guy patents new tech daily and doesn't understand why people care or something.

Backseat engineers maybe?

Aye

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
I wouldn't call it misinformation as it's true, but the "that's it" and how many engineers thing make it sound like that guy patents new tech daily and doesn't understand why people care or something.

Backseat engineers maybe?

Agreed (points about the number of engineers).

kdarling

macrumors P6
You make it sound so trivial.

Any decent programmer would think it was trivial.

The core idea of the patent is that if you swipe mostly vertical, it should lock the screen into doing a vertical scroll. Otherwise, the screen should move around with your finger.

Not exactly earth-shattering. It certainly would not take twenty people to figure out the idea or how to do it. When that many people are on a trivial patent like this one, the list feels a bit contrived.

And too much misinformation as well, gathered from yet some more rumor-mongering sites.

If you think anything I said was incorrect, let's hear the details.

(I suspect that you're the one who's confused by rumor-mongering sites.)

Well, I do work in a touch device group that's very non-stop and intense, and yes the company files patents all the time. Especially now that we see that even trivial ones get granted, you need the self protection.

However, the "that's it" was a response to someone's question about why Jon Ive and a bunch of other well known people were not included on this patent. He wasn't, because it had nothing to do with the iPhone design.

Everyone's acting like this is a patent on the iPhone itself. It is not. Not even close. It's about a tiny, tiny piece.

I think people are confused because it included a hundred pages of unrelated info in its descriptive section, and because web sites insist on calling it "the Steve Jobs patent".

It's like getting excited over a patent that includes a description of the Salk polio vaccine, when the patent itself was just for a sugar cube.

Regards.

Last edited:

onetwofour

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Any decent programmer would think it was trivial.

The core idea of the patent is that if you swipe mostly vertical, it should lock the screen into doing a vertical scroll. Otherwise, the screen should move around with your finger.

Not exactly earth-shattering. It certainly would not take twenty people to figure out the idea or how to do it. When that many people are on a trivial patent like this one, the list feels a bit contrived.

Well, I do work in a touch device group that's very non-stop and intense, and yes the company files patents all the time. Especially now that we see that even trivial ones get granted, you need the self protection.

However, the "that's it" was a response to someone's question about why Jon Ive and a bunch of other well known people were not included on this patent. He wasn't, because it had nothing to do with the iPhone design.

Everyone's acting like this is a patent on the iPhone itself. It is not. Not even close. It's about a tiny, tiny piece.

I think people are confused because it included a hundred pages of unrelated info in its descriptive section, and because web sites insist on calling it "the Steve Jobs patent".

It's like getting excited over a patent that includes a description of the Salk polio vaccine, when the patent itself was just for a sugar cube.

Regards.

Most programming projects are done in teams or with input from more than just the programmer. Decent programmers know that.

I think it's trivial to make a hub bub over how many people are listed on the patent. What does that have to do with anything?

It's a little contrived to even bring it up.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Apple patented the MultiTouch™ technology used in the iPhone...

Why do we see other vendors copying this tech, and why are they not being sued by Apple until they are broke?

Clearly, Apple won the patent on this. Samsung is using multitouch on all their smartphones now....and they haven't stopped. I don't understand it. The technology is patented, and they should be forbidden from using it.

Perhaps Samsung actually licensed that technology from Apple. They have a whole bunch of deals with each other. I'm sure there are a fair few that are not publicly available.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
It's too bad that Steve Jobs didn't live long enough to enjoy the final outcome. But, today, I'll hoist a cold one in Steve's honor for having the balls to see the future and gamble his company on making it happen!

Mark

I saw this article and decided to re-watch the 2007 Mac World keynote.

Brought back some emotion - good times. I remember my first iPhone fondly and wish I'd never sold it. Ground breaking.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Time for Google and Samsung to hold another secret strategy meeting, since this approach failed.

----------

It still reminds me an awful lot of my old Samsung i300 Palm Phone.

Which reminds me a lot of the Apple Newton that predated it.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
full touch screen phones had existed for years already

No they hadn't. Some badly implement touch ideas were thrown onto Samsung devices that worked very very poorly indeed. There were NO multi touch devices before the iPhone, no body had touched or used a screen like it on a mobile device.

As for the Nokia device, it ran Symbian...

----------

This was out at the same time as the first iPhone:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n95-1716.php

It was a legend at the time, their are many phones that have come and gone and it's very ironic that from America, where you we're starved of great handsets, we have ended up having the two main mobile operating systems! Not that I'm complaining.

Nokia also made a bit if a brick like smart phone with a powered optical zoom camera in 2006:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N93

And then we had the Sony Ericsson Symbian powered touch screen phones:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sony-Ericsson-P800_id130
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_P900
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_p910-846.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_P990

And they were a descendant of the Ericsson R380 launched in 2000 which is kinda considered the first smartphone, although I don't know if it was.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Ericsson-R380_id582

They all had some style but the iPhone was the best design by far, as I said it lacked features but showed a stagnant mobile market what could be done and was a breath of fresh air, the rest has been history. But Android would have happened regardless I would think. I have never considered the iPhone as revolutionary because of what went before, the iPad I have though as sure we had tablets before but not many people had heard of them or used them! The iPad made people ditch their computers!

You're mad if you think any of these devices compare to the original iPhone. Look at these and then look at EVERY Smartphone after the iPhone - how many look like those? None. How many look like the iPhone ALL OF THEM. So yeah, not revolutionary at all was it.

I had that Nokia 95 before the iPhone, it was the last Nokia device I owned. Good thought it is and well made though the Swedish handsets are, the iPhone was like something brought down from Star Trek in comparison, the accelerators, the multi touch screen no one had used before, the full touch screen, the internet, the e-mail - it looked like magic...and everyone copied. You've lost it if you really think the Nokia N95, a long line of samey Nokia Symbian phones with keypads, was anything remotely similar.

tigger95

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Sure, all of your comments made me cringe badly. Why are you people the same? you all talk crap... the same crap.

I'm so ashamed of owning several Apple products because of you guys, please STOP.

Surely, you can post whatever you want on the Internet but, come on, you are not getting any benefit from backing up a brand like this.

Steve Jobs did nothing but gather existing technologies and ideas.

dru`

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2004
USA
They even listed a "Widget Creator Module", which is interesting:

View attachment 441417

It's really too bad that Jobs killed off Hypercard, and did not want an interpreted programming language ability on the iPhone.

Feels like he wanted to keep control over both apps and app revenue.

uh... if you remember the original iPhone announcement the only way to do apps were via javascript web apps. that kinda belies your assertion about what he wanted.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
I thought Steve Jobs didn't invent anything? I thought the iPhone was just a copy of tech available 30 years prior? The US Patent Office is conspiring against foreign companies like Samsung!!

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Preliminarily invalidated ......... that is some crap right there.

Was the patent granted or not? Since it was, there should be no legal standing to invalidate it.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
If I was somewhere like that I sure as hell wouldn't be typing on here for you to stop reading! :D Looks out window at dark miserable day...

No they were not, they were way more advance then the first iPhone, they had decent camera's, expandable memory, established devs making apps, GPS, 3G, video calling etc. It is your opinion they were 'throw away' but the iPhone would never have existed if it wasn't for makers like Nokia. The iPhone only very recently got the ability to perform video calling over cellular, it had nothing to with doing it right as everyone else has been doing it for years and years!

You protest too much. The iPhone defined the next paradigm; exclusively multi-touch UI, eliminating hardware keypads, and there were plenty of pundits and competitors that thought that paradigm would fail in the marketplace.

The bulk of smartphones today follow that paradigm.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Patent fights are always subjective!

It one experts against another! Lawyer vs. lawyer. It the Inventor against the defendant. Many cases; the invention was like 5 years ahead of it time but the defendant had the right lawyers and experts and defeat the patent itself. The defendant did not even have a design for the same invention until a year ago but they had the smart lawyers to defeat the patent in the U.S. Patent Office and render it useless even when the item was sold back 5 years ago. That the way large companies can rob smaller companies out of their invention in court litigation.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If I was somewhere like that I sure as hell wouldn't be typing on here for you to stop reading! :D Looks out window at dark miserable day...

No they were not, they were way more advance then the first iPhone, they had decent camera's, expandable memory, established devs making apps, GPS, 3G, video calling etc. It is your opinion they were 'throw away' but the iPhone would never have existed if it wasn't for makers like Nokia. The iPhone only very recently got the ability to perform video calling over cellular, it had nothing to with doing it right as everyone else has been doing it for years and years!

This is stupid. The app "Tango" supported video call over 3G in 2010. Skype then followed suit and introduced calling over 3G. It is Facetime that didn't support 3G.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
This is stupid. The app "Tango" supported video call over 3G in 2010. Skype then followed suit and introduced calling over 3G. It is Facetime that didn't support 3G.

2010 is very recent - video calling over 3G has been available in the UK since 2003 at least

iCrapple

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
I love browsing these forums. Comments like "congratulations to the real innovators" just cracks me up...

Guys, just to clarify taking/buying technology from others, combining it into a "sleek" package does not make one an innovator.

The rubber-band/bounce-back effect (mentioned in the steve knobs patent) is known to have existed - but not patented - waaay before apple "created it" for ios. Think back to the late 90's/early 2000's. Countless flash based websites had that.

Also, touch-screens and, in particular, multi-touch has been around since the 80's. The screen tech/API's described in the steve knobs patent were patented by apple AFTER they purchased a company called Fingerworks and said technologies. They even tried to patent the saying "multi-touch", despite scientists/engineers using the term back in the 60's when research began to come up with usable touch and multi-touch technology. It's pathetic.

:apple: Copy or buy it. Mix it together. Patent it. Claim to be the inventor. It just works (tm).

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
:apple: Copy or buy it. Mix it together. Patent it. Claim to be the inventor. It just works (tm).

Hate the game, not the players. The patent system is outdated and I'm not about to give out ideas on how to fix it. Companies can innovate by recognizing technology being developed and buying it and implementing it. I don't think anyone here is claiming apple invented every patent and innovation it released. It's them protecting their investments. Instead of having someone steal them.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yeah it was during the Samsung trial when documents of prototypes were leaked as part of the trial. In fact, what became iPhone 4 was originally prototyped in 2005.

What's interesting is how much it looked like an existing ... and ironically, Korean designed... smartphone of the time:

purple_2005.png

The Korean CDMA network Pidion BM-200 Bluebird was available in black or white, both with a metallic bezel.

Fairly unique for its time, it ran full Windows CE, not the less powerful Windows Mobile. Its homescreen was a grid of icons. Windows CE also had a full IE browser available.

Foretelling the future, Unwired commented in 2005, "If Apple would ever decide to build a new Apple Newton, it could look like this new Pocket PC from Korean ODM Pidion."

(In the big California trial last year, Magistrate Grewal and Judge Koh prevented Samsung from presenting the Pidion as prior art, even though Apple was allowed to show their non-production concepts. The jury awarded Apple millions for design infringement. In other trials in Europe where the Pidion was allowed as evidence, similar Apple design claims were dismissed, although that could just be coincidence.)

Last edited:

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
Didn't Jony Ive design the hardware?

LOL!!!!! When has Ive EVER designed the hardware???? He's designs pretty cases....

Ya know, it's sad to see the comments here bashing Forestall. He probably had more to do with OS X and the iPhone than any other individual. Truth be told, there were rumors that he was the one who Steve actually wanted to succeed him as the leader of Apple - although he knew the board would never go along.

All this hero worship for "Jony" is humorous. He designs cases. Period. i doubt that he would know a GPU from a RAM chip so PLEASE knock off the silly "didn't Ive design the hardware" nonsense....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.