Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Hope Google releases its own Map app though I am afraid Apple won't let that go through as it is in direct competition with theirs and isn't their a clause to that effect? Not sure. They did it with YouTube.

Kavok

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
...But taking Google Maps away from us (ESPECIALLY MY STREET VIEW!!!), was a big, big mistake since they are obviously not ready for prime time.

My guess is they did not renew their license with Google to have the maps just like they did with the YouTube app.

It will take some time for Apple to get their map data going. I think this is another case of using people as beta-testers to find all the issues since their employees can only do so much.

Maps works great for me, haven't had any issues to this point.

NightFlight

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Virginia
I haven't seen anything on iOS 6 that I'd consider an upgrade so far.

The new Maps application is poor at absolute best. I tested three locations so far with turn by turn directions.

1. It says my house is an 1/8 of a mile away from where it really is in Great Falls, VA. The Google powered application pins my house right along the driveway which is useful.

2. It tells me to take the left exit for me to get to work. It is a right exit, and that left exit has been gone for over 15 years. It was actually never an exit, it was a turn.

3. In a large shopping center, it told me my destination was on the complete opposite side of where it was truly located.

Other than the Maps issues, I have found the battery life to be atrociously poor. The worst thing of all though, is the lag that I have been experiencing when going through menus and then through some of the Apple apps (not 3rd party). People laugh at Android, but this is really bad.

Also, the new Music app looks like it is an alpha build. It looks completely unfinished and unpolished. I appreciate the larger "buttons" but the overall look and feel of the app is awful.

[EDIT] Don't even get me started on the new App Store layout either.

Overall, this seems like it has been a very poor upgrade, if you can call it an upgrade at all. After less than 24 hours of use, I have seen nothing impressive.

/rant

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

globality

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Wow. Everyone is criticising an app they didn't use much before iOS 6...

I use maps a lot before I bought garmin app. Even after that I still use it a lot for public transit and street views. But I am a professional in map and location-based services so maybe I am biased. Anyway apple has a long way to go to catch up Google in Maps app.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
everyone and their uncle bogs up the systems yesterday trying to get iOS 6 on the first day, then turns around and tries out Passbook, Maps etc and wonders why things are messed up. couldn't possibly be due to the vastly increased traffic. nope, no way

So half of Scotland is hidden under cloud due to server overload?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
When I search for my train station, it points to the one on the other side of the town, even though they're called different things.

When I search for Waitrose, the supermarket isn't the first result, and when it does find it, it's on the wrong road.

The satellite imagery in my area is so poor, I can't even discern fields, never mind individual houses.

Bring back Google! :mad:

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Well, this tears it

I'm as big an Apple fan as anyone -- currently use an iPad, iPhone 4, iMac, and MacBook Air -- but Google Maps is probably my most-used app after email and text. I definitely won't be getting a new phone until either these problems are fixed or Google comes up with a stand-alone map app for the iPhone.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
You know, google maps on iOS has had turn by turn navigation for years. It's just that google forbade Apple to turn it on. It's decisions and constraints like that that forced Apple to develop their own maps service. It's not like Apple just wanted to throw money at their team and told them to redo something that was worked perfectly fine. Take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Wow. Everyone is criticising an app they didn't use much before iOS 6...

Nonsense, for most iPhone users it is probably the 2nd most used app after Safari. Over 50% of Google maps' mobile traffic comes/came from iPhone users.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Reminds me what Steve Jobs said to the Me team

"How's it supposed to work?" "Then why the ******* doesn;t it!?"
Then he fired most of them.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Hope Google releases its own Map app though I am afraid Apple won't let that go through as it is in direct competition with theirs and isn't their a clause to that effect? Not sure. They did it with YouTube.

The "duplication of functionality" rule is long gone, hence the multiple browsers, email clients and yes, mapping apps that are available.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
im one of the biggest apple loyalists here and i 100% agree that

Apple should of never released their maps app YET.

they should of came out with it in a year or two.

They only hurt their existing customers.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
I actually like Maps more

The Siri integration with the Maps is huge. Since the Google-based maps didn't really have turn-by-turn directions I ended up using a TomTom app. However, sometimes it was a real pain to find places with that app (for example, trying to find a local IKEA). I did a test with IOS6 by asking Siri to find IKEA and it was done!

The flyover technology is super cool, however, things start to look bad when you zoom in...that's a real shame. I think when this technology matures you'll be able to virtually walk around the city like you would in a videogame. I think it holds more promise than Google streetview...although Google streetview has helped me a few times.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
Back to Google maps in my browser then. Big deal. Hope Apple fix their maps sometime in the near future, 2015 at the earliest I reckon....

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
The question for me isn't "Are there mistakes?"

It's "How easy is it to fix those mistakes?"

My TomTom has the speed limit on a local stretch of highway wrong. I've not found the way to report and fix that yet.

Google Maps have gotten many addresses wrong. The fix route is a pain in the ass, but at least I know how to do it now.

Apple needs to have a simple, quick way that people can report errors, and a method for fixing them effectively.

There's a "report problem" button "behind" the map.
(Drag the little page tab in the lower-right up.)
It leads to a nice little interface for reporting problems.
Hopefully people use it and Apple (TomTom?) process the reports fairly quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.