MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple earlier this week debuted an all-new radically redesigned iPad Air that's set to ship in October, but ahead of the release date, Apple invited members of the Chinese media to a special hands-on event to test out the new iPad Air models.

ipadaircolors-1.jpg

Several videos demoing the 2020 iPad Air have been shared on YouTube, and while these videos are in Chinese, those interested in the new iPad Air may want to check them out to see details on size, the USB-C port, and the way the new Touch ID top button works.

This first video has an excellent close up look at the iPad Air's casing and edge-to-edge display, Apple Pencil support, and Touch ID top button, as well as a comparison with the older iPad Air model that had a more rounded case design and the 11-inch iPad Pro.

There's an interesting demo of Touch ID working at around 4:40 minutes in, showing off its speed and the button in action in both portrait and landscape modes.

The second video also has demos of the Touch ID button at about three minutes in for those interested in seeing it in action, as well as a good look at the different colors. The new iPad Air comes in rose gold, green, and blue in addition to the traditional space gray and silver colors.

The third video offers up another close look at Touch ID, color options, the new edge-to-edge display, display comparisons with other iPads, USB-C port, Apple Pencil, and Magic Keyboard support. There's also a bonus look at some of the new Apple Watch Series 6 models and bands.

Though the new iPad Air models were announced on Tuesday, Apple isn't accepting orders until an unspecified date in October, so it's going to be awhile before we get to see them in person. We can expect to see U.S. media reviews at some point in the future, likely shortly before the launch date.

Article Link: Apple's New iPad Air Demoed in Videos From Chinese Media Press Event

• Angry
Reactions: MagMan1979

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
So it really is just sitting in a case on on iPad Pro? If so thats a great buy as that is the main appeal of the pro for me.

Reactions: rafark
Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I love when Apple uses colours in their products, and the initial video showing the new Air looked so good.

But maybe its just me, I find the new colours a bit dull, especially when you see them in the video. Under certain lighting the green has a yellow-ish/gold look to it and the blue comes across as a shade of grey.

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Also, it seems that the bezels on the Air are ever so slightly larger than the ones on the 11" Pro. I guess it makes up for the difference in display size (10.9 vs 11).

Reactions: Mr. Awesome
Comment

NT1440

Contributor
May 18, 2008
I love when Apple uses colours in their products, and the initial video showing the new Air looked so good.

But maybe its just me, I find the new colours a bit dull, especially when you see them in the video. Under certain lighting the green has a yellow-ish/gold look to it and the blue comes across as a shade of grey.
I would say they’re more subdued than dull. I fully expect in 3ish years time these chassis will be used for the regular iPad and will come in very bold colors like the iPod minis did.

Reactions: profets
Comment

Mc0

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
I want one. When are we gonna get a US media event?

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
If you could elaborate, I can't get translated captions working. I saw the right/left channel tests going on, but couldn't understand the commentary.

The Air doesn't offer true stereo (and spatial) audio unlike the iPad Pro, due the speaker placement being only on the top and the bottom. It can get weird depending on how you rotate the iPad Air.

Comment

Mc0

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
I would say they’re more subdued than dull. I fully expect in 3ish years time these chassis will be used for the regular iPad and will come in very bold colors like the iPod minis did.
Yes. Seems to be the trend now. Design will be handed over to the next generation. From IPP10.5 to iPad Air 3 and now, IPP11 to iPad Air 4

Comment

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Boston
Everything is made in feckin China, yes I know... Does the US news media get a special hands on event? I’ll let you in on a little secret. They’re designed in California 🇺🇸

Welp the release event on Tuesday would have been a special hands on event if it were in person. The only reason there wasn't one is because it is still unsafe to host large gatherings in the US.

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
Everything is made in feckin China, yes I know... Does the US news media get a special hands on event? I’ll let you in on a little secret. They’re designed in California 🇺🇸

Apple had growth last quarter due to demand from China, largely due to record demand from iPad and Mac. It's not much of a surprise Apple would send the first iPad Air review units there. My guess is, U.S. reviewers will gets their units within the next few days.

Reactions: russell_314
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.