Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's New Lincoln Park Retail Store in Chicago Opens Tomorrow

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple is set to open its new Lincoln Park retail store in Chicago tomorrow at 10:00 AM, an event that will mark the debut of a yet another of Apple's "significant" stores that are meant to provide an iconic presence for the company. ChicagoNow and ifoAppleStore offer a sneak peek at the new store and the unique arrangement that has seen Apple construct a public plaza and refurbish a run-down subway station next door to the tune of nearly $4 million.

As ChicagoNow notes, the new Lincoln Park store offers three entrances, suiting the building's siting on a triangle of land.
At the North Avenue entrance - conveniently on the north side of the building, it's all about retail. That's where you go in to see every single product Apple sells. The south entrance is the Clybourn entrance, and it's there you go to learn via One To One or a workshop. And then there's the center entrance facing the CTA station and new public space which features a courtyard with tables, benches, a fountain and Wi-Fi.
ifoAppleStore points out that the store offers a few hidden elements, including stockroom and other support functions being hidden away in a basement, along with a green roof.
The building has a green roof that helps keep the interior cooler and generates a little oxygen for Chicago. The roof also serves another purpose: it collects rainwater that is used to water the landscaping in the plaza. Signs within the plantings warn visitors not to drink the runoff.
As for the train station next door, Apple has paid to spruce up the 1940s-era building inside and out, refocusing the station's pedestrian flow to bring riders through the public plaza between the station and Apple store. In exchange for its contribution to the station's renovation, Apple has advertising rights within the station and on the platform, along with the right of first refusal should the Chicago Transit Authority decide in the future to sell naming rights to its stations.

Article Link: Apple's New Lincoln Park Retail Store in Chicago Opens Tomorrow

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
I've been watching this store go from a closed gas station through construction to what it is today. I'll be there at 5 today and will be there through to the opening. Hope to see you all there!

-Brian

Comment

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I've been watching this store go from a closed gas station through construction to what it is today. I'll be there at 5 today and will be there through to the opening. Hope to see you all there!

-Brian

What, wut? You are standing in line for a store opening?

Comment

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Haha is this the same Lincoln Park!? Apple you better hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husbands cuz they're rapin' erybody out here!

Comment

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008

Have fun. It is nice to see Apple refurbish the old gas station and the subway stop.

Comment

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Ah good old Apple doing whatever they can to improve aesthetics around the Apple store, even if it means spending extra money to redo a subway stop

Comment

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
It's been a pleasure to watch this company rise out of obscurity and into the mainstream. This underdog to greatness story is largely what keeps me so interested. Simply amazing.

Comment

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2007
Sweeettt!!!! I love the location. Woohoo Apple store by when Im in chicago every 6 months!!! Go Chi-Town!!

Comment

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Wow very nice! it's great that they updated the subway station as well!

You should of seen that stop before they did. If they didn't update it, it would of felt like apple put their store in the ghetto when you were walking out of it.

I'm stoked cause the Mich Ave store is such a pain in the butt with all the barbie dolls getting in my way of the store. This store is boom, right off the stop.

Comment

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

-Brian

You're standing in line......

To see the store open?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.