Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has taken its online storefront down to prepare for pre-orders for the 6.1-inch iPhone XR, the third iPhone in the 2018 iPhone lineup. Apple will begin accepting orders for the iPhone XR at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time or 3:01 a.m. Eastern Time on Friday, October 19.

In other countries, pre-order times will vary based on local time zone. Pre-orders will kick off at 6:01 p.m. in Sydney, for example, 3:01 p.m. in China, and 8:01 a.m. in the UK. For full details on when pre-orders go live in your country, make sure to check out our post that lists all pre-order times by country.

Apple will accept pre-orders through the Apple website and the Apple Store app. T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon will all be accepting pre-orders for the iPhone XR in the United States, as will major retailers like Best Buy.

apple-store-down-2018-sept-800x523.jpg

Pre-orders for the iPhone XR will be available from Apple at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time in the following first wave launch countries:

Albania, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Guernsey, Herzegovina, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Kosovo, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, the UAE, UK, US and US Virgin Islands.

iPhone XR will expand to Israel on November 1 and Armenia, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Macau, Maldives, Myanmar, Ukraine, and Vietnam on November 2, according to pre-order details shared by Apple.

Apple did not launch the iPhone XR at the same time as the iPhone XS and XS Max because of issues that delayed production, so it is not clear if Apple will have adequate supply to meet demand. Customers hoping to get one of the new devices on launch day should order as early as possible just in case.

The iPhone XR is priced starting at $749, and it is available in 64, 128, and 256GB capacities in six colors: white, black, blue, coral, yellow, and (PRODUCT)RED.

Compared to the iPhone XS and XS Max, the iPhone XR has an LCD display instead of an OLED display, a single-lens camera rather than a dual lens camera, Haptic Touch instead of 3D Touch, and LTE Advanced instead of Gigabit LTE. On the plus side, the iPhone XR offers even longer battery life than the iPhone XS Max.

For more detail on the iPhone XR, make sure to check out our iPhone XR roundup to read up on the new device's feature set ahead of when pre-orders begin.

The first pre-orders placed for the new iPhone XR models will arrive on Friday, October 26, the iPhone XR's official launch date.

Article Link: Apple's Online Store Down Ahead of iPhone XR Pre-Orders

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Still deciding between 128gb and 256gb...decisions, decisions...

What's everyone else doing?!

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Can't wait to get the iPhone X Cheapo edition!
That's the only reason I'm considering the 128gb option.

If you get the 256gb option you may as well pony up a couple hundred extra dollars and get the XS...this is the first time I've considered "pricing" when buying an iPhone to save money...and resale will probably be better on the 128gb (it won't lose as much as the 256gb will).

Reactions: martyjmclean

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey

Going all the way, I plan on using this more in situations I don't now. Like potentially leasing an Elantra with the connectivity option with car play so I can finally not listen to the radio or cd's lol

Reactions: house13um

DocMultimedia

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
I've got some AAPL. I sure hope a lot of people order them. I just don't like the way this rollout happened. Two iPhones last month, and now a different iPhone. As a regular consumer (not a geek like those on these forums), I'm not sure I would have a clue what is going on. But alas, Apple thinks they know all. My X is keeping me happy for now.

Reactions: thasan

garoto

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
“Compared to the iPhone XS and XS Max, the iPhone XR has an LCD display instead of an OLED display, a single-lens camera rather than a dual lens camera, and LTE Advanced instead of Gigabit LTE. On the plus side, the iPhone XR offers even longer battery life than the iPhone XS Max...”

Does MacRumors have any vested interest in forgetting about the lack of 3D Touch on the XR? I’ve seen the omission of Apple’s omission in many MacRumors article.

Reactions: Aston441

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ordering four for the family. The XR will outsell the XS by a margin of 10:1

Seems obvious. Its $250.00 cheaper, similar form factor, offers Face ID and six new colors, the average consumer will easily take advantage of this new iPhone, especially given the cost savings alone is enticing enough.

Reactions: madKIR

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I already have the XS Max, but my son which has a 6 Plus is upgrading to XR. He is paying me for it, but I’ll be putting on my card at 2 am CDT. We are both excited! I am going to be checking it out closely as I will still have one more day to return my XS Max should I decide to go that route. I asked him what color, he said I don’t want any of those girly colors. I was like pulease, so he wants black so black it is. I don’t think they are girly colors. I kinda like the blue one. LOL

Reactions: Zaned303

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
This caught me out as I was went to price up some MacBooks before new ones could be announced.
At this point, this is a publicity stunt. There is no need to take the entire Apple Store down, just to add one product.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014

128 red. Can't wait. Haven't been this interested in an iPhone since the 4.
[doublepost=1539913711][/doublepost]
XR: 326 ppi vs XS: 458 ppi but hey my retina can't tell the difference
And the iPad pro and MBP Retina are ready in the 200s. How bad do those look?

Reactions: chuloo

garoto

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
I already have the XS Max, but my son which has a 6 Plus is upgrading to XR. He is paying me for it, but I’ll be putting on my card at 2 am CDT. We are both excited! I am going to be checking it out closely as I will still have one more day to return my XS Max should I decide to go that route. I asked him what color, he said I don’t want any of those girly colors. I was like pulease, so he wants black so black it is. I don’t think they are girly colors. I kinda like the blue one. LOL
If you buy a blue one, you might turn into a girl. Careful. Very careful.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Wanted to look at the Apple leather cases for my xs+ but apparently I can't because in 5 hours a phone goes on sale

Reactions: Tofupunch

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
“Compared to the iPhone XS and XS Max, the iPhone XR has an LCD display instead of an OLED display, a single-lens camera rather than a dual lens camera, and LTE Advanced instead of Gigabit LTE. On the plus side, the iPhone XR offers even longer battery life than the iPhone XS Max...”

Does MacRumors have any vested interest in forgetting about the lack of 3D Touch on the XR? I’ve seen the omission of Apple’s omission in many MacRumors article.

Attachments

• 0B66F1D3-2C34-4C4E-A3D9-96F72E0787D7.jpeg
    0B66F1D3-2C34-4C4E-A3D9-96F72E0787D7.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 232
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.