Apple's Online Store Down Ahead of Today's iPhone 7 Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's online storefront has been taken offline this morning, less than six hours prior to the company's upcoming "See You on the 7th" media event at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, where Tim Cook and other senior executives are expected to announce the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, second-generation Apple Watch, new Beats products, and possibly other updates.

[​IMG]

Apple will provide a live stream (spoiler free) of the keynote on the Apple TV and on iOS and Mac devices through its website, starting at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. MacRumors will also have full coverage of the event, with a live blog on our front page at MacRumors.com and updates in 140 characters or less through our @MacRumorsLive account on Twitter. Last week, we outlined what to expect at the event.

We'll also have specific coverage of today's announcements in separate news stories, and our community forums are a great place for readers to discuss the announcements before, during, and after the event. Be sure to keep tabs on the iPhone and Apple Watch sections in particular for the latest discussions.

Article Link: Apple's Online Store Down Ahead of Today's iPhone 7 Event

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Damn, I was just about to buy an iPhone 6S and an :apple:Watch. Any chance we might see a new version of one or both of them?:eek:

4. netwalker macrumors regular

netwalker

I keep wondering if this is just a marketing trick or is the store technically really that bad that it can't add/update products within seconds? Just imagine Amazon would go down for hours each time they add a new product. Why would they voluntary loose half a day of business?

5. captain cadet macrumors 6502

Ah great.... I was actually checking out a new power socket for my Macbook when this happened... Am I going to have to wait another 12 hours before finishing?

6. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Let it be exiting, like MacBook Pro, unlike next iPhone 6.

7. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

New Mac Pro! New Mac Pro!

...are you hearing me Timmy?!

Disclaimer: I am aware that tonight is most likely about iToys

8. Telos101 macrumors regular

Telos101

I guess it stops people from ordering an iPhone 6s/plus on the same day and then complaining about it.

9. Michael Clarke macrumors member

Michael Clarke

It's a hype thing. "Oooh, Apple have closed down their store, must be a big announcement." I know they do this multiple times a year but it's still enough to get the juices flowing!

10. captain cadet macrumors 6502

Probably marketing trick as it can all be done dynamically - Yes for something like this you might want to take the page down for a few moments to swap everything but it doesn't take hours.

It probably helps stop people also buying something and then within moments asking for a refund

11. SMIDG3T, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Before someone says it, they do it for hype, and it works.

Of course they could silently update the store, they could do it within seconds.

And 6 hours of no business is nothing, they'll recuperate it within half amount of time once the store is back up.

12. ysr macrumors member

13. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

And Store doors open! What do we see? The Macs have been kind of slid to the back. Nothing to see there.

14. 2457282, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

2457282 Suspended

I doubt that it is technical. They should already have everything loaded and will simply pull a switch after the announcement. My guess is that they do this for two reasons. One is, as you said, a marketing thing to build excitement. The other, more practical, is to avoid having people purchase the old product at the old price on the same day of the announcement. Again, just my guesses.

Edit: I see everyone responded faster than me. And we all seem to be in sync on one or both of the guesses I proposed. In any case, sorry for the repetition.

15. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I think this is a big part of it. Also it gives the fulfillment back channel a chance to slow down on shipping stuff and start getting ready for the storm of shipping the new products.

16. WBRacing macrumors 65816

WBRacing

17. rctlr macrumors 6502a

Im sure it is a marketing ploy. We wouldn't be commenting on this article if it wasn't. Im sure that they have the infrastructure to have an updated site to flip to once they are ready to. Website management for big corps etc do that all the time.

18. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

19. captain cadet macrumors 6502

But it does go up pretty quickly. Also Amazon adds lots of products that are going to sell well every day and they have the distrubiton network to do it seamless! Apple only do it a few times a year and the cost for them to get a bigger distribution system would probably cost a heck of a lot more than its worth!

20. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Still 5 hours to go can't wait anymore :D

21. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Yeah the web store goes back up quickly. But the new iPhones don't get shipped right away, so fulfillment gets a breather on the old stuff and gets to probably go full out on the iPhones. Amazon does have a great distribution system, but they don't do anything like ship the iPhone on launch day. No one else has a semi-secret device, that is highly valuable and also needs to ship millions upon millions over a weekend.

22. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I hope people don't expect Mac updates today, because there won't be any.

23. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

24. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Shame all there releasing is new phones watch and IOS / OS . Not feeling it.