Apple's Phil Schiller Explains Why Valve's Steam Link App Was Rejected

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple recently made the decision to reject Valve's Steam Link app after initially approving it, leading to many unhappy Steam customers who had been looking forward to the feature.

Apple has been silent on the issue despite several requests for comment, but today, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller explained the reason behind the rejection to a MacStories reader and other Apple customers on Reddit who emailed to ask Apple to reconsider. In the email, Schiller says the Valve app violates a number of guidelines and that Apple is working with the Valve team to rectify the issue.
    The Steam Link app is designed to allow Steam users to play their Steam games on an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV using either a 5GHz WiFi network or a wired Ethernet connection to a host PC or Mac. As our sister site TouchArcade said in a review of the app, it allows for "real" PC-like game experiences on Apple devices.

"I could see a very real situation where many people just straight up stop buying things from the App Store and exclusively purchase Steam games through Valve instead," wrote TouchArcade editor-in-chief Eli Hodapp.

As MacStories points out, we don't know the specifics of the guidelines the Steam Link app violates, but Apple has strict rules for features like filters for objectionable content, in-app purchases, loot boxes, and more. Steam Link, as a remote access app, does allow customers to purchase Steam games without standard in-app purchase methods, which is likely to be one of Apple's main qualms.

Valve first announced the Steam Link app on May 9 after initial approval from Apple, but Apple later said the preliminary approval had been a mistake and told Valve the app was not eligible for release due to "business conflicts." Valve's statement:
    Valve has not commented on what features might need to be tweaked or removed to earn Apple's approval, and it is not clear when we might see a modified version of the Steam Link app available for sale if Valve is able or willing to make the necessary changes to the Steam Link experience.

Article Link: Apple's Phil Schiller Explains Why Valve's Steam Link App Was Rejected

2. Appleaker, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018

Appleaker macrumors 68020

I’m glad Apple responded to this and are working to bring the app to iOS/tvOS.

The ridiculous comments from, it would seem, Apple fanboys, or at least non gamers, about customers buying from Steam exclusively are quite deluded and unrealistic. Really they're just a desperate attempt to defend Apples decision here when in fact, that wasn’t the reasoning at all. Which would make sense, because that reasoning is invalid as it would never happen.

3. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Apple need Steam but Steam don't need Apple. Tread carefully Apple.

4. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Your quote is a bit messed up.

5. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Phil once again showing us his courage...

6. Doomtomb macrumors regular

Doomtomb

Apple knows they want a piece of the Steam sales

7. sirdir macrumors regular

sirdir

OK, he said something but in the end he didn't say anything.

8. JoeWal macrumors newbie

JoeWal

I think Phil Schillers MacBook keyboard has the "c"-key stuck. ;)

9. tipoo macrumors 6502

Yeah, not sure what this means.

If it's just about the store within a store aspect and they can remove that and get along, fine. If it's to block access to better streamed games with the worry of cutting into ho-hum app store game revenue, then Apple looks bad here.

10. alex00100 macrumors 6502

11. Sdtrent macrumors member

Sdtrent

If this app gets approved I'd consider buying an Apple TV just for this. I think they'd have a lot to gain from an app like this.

12. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

If anything, that’s backwards. But neither needs the other. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship, and saying Apple needs Steam is just kind of silly.

13. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Do they? I think they’ve done fine without them until now

14. Cankoda macrumors regular

Cankoda

No Apple does not need steam, nor does steam need Apple. This is just a way to improve both ecosystems and make things better for consumers. Sure it would be awesome to play a computer game on a phone, but it’s still something that requires a high speed internet connection, which can be very rare when you’re not at home making games installed on a phone still the more reasonable choice when away from home. It will definitely be a cool feature, but in no way is a dealbreaker if it doesn’t happen.

15. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

Apple does not in any way need Steam.

16. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

What exactly is the point of this app anyway? From what I'm reading, it lets you stream Steam games from a PC over the local WiFi network. What exactly is the benefit here? If you're already home, might as well play the games directly on the PC with less lag and smoother gameplay?

I'm annoyed that an app was approved and then denied afterwards; that's a bait and switch and Apple basically caused Valve to waste their time. However I'm trying to understand the actual point of this app.

17. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Thanks, I've fixed it.

18. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Show me the money!!! - Sincerely Apple

19. GCHASE1995 macrumors 6502

GCHASE1995

They can just go buy online much life Spotify

20. cube, May 26, 2018

cube macrumors G5

You can stream a game while someone else is using the PC. I think it must have two GPUs (quite common with many CPUs).

Also, someone may want to play casually elsewhere in the home even if the PC is free.

21. mi7chy, May 26, 2018

mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Apple also don't need Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, Google Maps/Waze, etc. but block those apps and see what happens to their user base.

Just look at the failed Homepod when they restrict it to Apple Music only. It's DOA.

22. tech3475 macrumors 6502

Doesn’t the Steam app allow you to make Steam purchases?

23. borgeindergaard macrumors regular

borgeindergaard

And most people does not in any way need Apple.

Personally I value my Steam library more than my iTunes library, since, well... I don't use it any more, because Spotify and Netflix is superior.

24. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

Apples and oranges. These are already established apps with an expectation that they are accessible on iOS.

25. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Okay, Mr. Schiller - the problem is that none of the reasons you’ve listed sounds remotely like a “business conflict”, but that’s the explanation you gave Steam when you rejected the app.

I am sensing the presence of “spin” here. Of course that’s generally the case when Phil Schiller weighs in on a topic, I realize. It seems pretty clear Apple is worried about Steam absolutely dominating a market Apple hasn’t really managed to develop (Apple TV games) and quite possibly establishing a strong competitive presence on iOS devices as well.