Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Businessweek's Arik Hesseldahl raises some questions about what the strategic direction Apple will pursue in the next 6 to 24 months.
As obvious as the path to a tablet device seems now, I have trouble imagining the next obvious path that Apple might follow in 2009 and 2010. In fact, the company may very well be nearing a product plateau. And here's the real kicker: That may not be a bad thing.
While Hesseldahl has no hard answers, he suggests Apple might do well to further establish their existing product lines rather than trying to branch out into new territory.
Now, Apple and its customers would be well-served if the company concentrates on making everything better, faster, and cheaper. While the Mac is in the minds of many already a better personal computing platform than Microsoft's Windows, it's time to press the offensive.
The thoughts reflect some comments by our own readers who have felt that Apple has been neglecting their core business of Macs and may have spread themselves too thin with the troubled launch of MobileMe.

Article Link

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Half agree - as much as I want to see Apple maturing their products and designs (iMac for example), new innovations is what keep me tied to the Keynote Presentations.

However there room for further establishment with certain products - the Apple TV is probably the best example.

Comment

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Now, Apple and its customers would be well-served if the company concentrates on making everything better, faster, and cheaper.

That's what most of this industry is about. Apple would have to be suicidal to go this way.

Also they've some patents for Wii-like device, and with new iPod Touch being advertised as gaming device more than a music player, I think something is coming. Not soon and not for sure to be released, but it's there.

Comment

Boydbme

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
best of both worlds

i'd love to see new and exciting innovations, within their existing product line. :cool:

Comment

Snowcat001

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
That's what they should be doing.
Continue research (always!) and use it for the current product line.
I agree with this guy!

Comment

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
Making their current product line better, faster, and cheaper would follow the line of thinking with Snow Leopard: not too many new features, just more stable and faster.

Comment

Steven.nevets

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vancouver, BC
at the same time, as a university student, i would do anything possible to get an 8-11 or so inch tablet mac. something that small, portable, and useful in class would be amazing.

but I do wish apple would just start fixing things. mobileme launch was terrible, software updates seem to be creating as many bugs as they fix, and the computer line just doesn't seem as impressive.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Making their current product line better, faster, and cheaper would follow the line of thinking with Snow Leopard: not too many new features, just more stable and faster.

Yes.

Then, in parallel, they can continue designing the next great thing: the next revolutionary device like iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, tablet Mac, whatever.

Then, WHAM! Hit 'em on both fronts. Make the undisputably best products in their existing categories, and wow us with these new things that nobody else would have thought of, but once made, everyone wonders how they ever got along without it.

Comment

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Ever since that Macbook Air, I knew Apple was taking on too much. They were already throwing Macs on the backburner, then you release another? The Macbook Air has recived no attention since release. iPods and iPhones have been the prime.

Comment

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
Yes.

Then, in parallel, they can continue designing the next great thing: the next revolutionary device like iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, tablet Mac, whatever.

Then, WHAM! Hit 'em on both fronts. Make the undisputably best products in their existing categories, and wow us with these new things that nobody else would have thought of, but once made, everyone wonders how they ever got along without it.

+1 WHAM!

Comment

jdmlight

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Chicagoland Suburbs
at the same time, as a university student, i would do anything possible to get an 8-11 or so inch tablet mac. something that small, portable, and useful in class would be amazing.
That would be perfect! But alas, Apple hasn't created something like this yet. Hopefully soon...

I'd love that tablet mac as described + a really good battery. 3.5-4 hours on my MBP just isn't enough. I've heard many people saying that their Macbooks have similar battery lives. C'mon, Apple could do like a lot of other laptop manufacturers: have the normal battery that comes with the laptop, but then have a battery that sticks out some but lasts longer. It wouldn't be hard where the battery is on my MBP - it's only about 1/4" from the front of the case...

Comment

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
What the analyst fails to recognize is that new revolutionary products is a great way to get people to buy macs. I've owned ipods for years and it wasn't till I got the ipod touch till I decided to buy a mac. The only reason I haven't bought one is because of the update that is coming soon.

Comment

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
But what about the iPhone? Any news on that? I'm sick of hearing "New MacBooks!!!" I think they should focus more on the iPhone. After-all, Apple is not "Apple Computer" anymore. Oh yeah, and Snow Leopard is going to KICK ASS!

Comment

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
Mini-note

Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook, Subnotebook.

Please.

Comment

Lo Aul

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
New Jersey
Mac, MacBook, Mac OS
iPod, iPhone
iTunes Store
Mac Software

Apple has established a comprehensive core that is miles ahead of its competitors (even ones that had a head start), beside it having more taste. I agree. I don't think they need to Google out into a thousand side projects, wallowing in beta for the weight of their existence. They should elaborate on and enhance their core, establish themselves as the pinnacle of efficiency, and sit proudly on their plateau.

Comment

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Sure, I would love to purchase a new 8 or 12-core Mac Pro with gobs of RAM and 36" monitor without requiring a congressional bailout bill for funding. :D

Comment

Snowcat001

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
But what about the iPhone? Any news on that? I'm sick of hearing "New MacBooks!!!" I think they should focus more on the iPhone. After-all, Apple is not "Apple Computer" anymore. Oh yeah, and Snow Leopard is going to KICK ASS!

It's the other way around, it has all been about iphone iphone iphone ect...
Mobile Me was there in the first place for the iphone, expanding itunes with the appstore, 3G problems and fixes,........

Please let it finally be about macbooks for a few months!

And indeed Snow Leopard is going to kick ass!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.