Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New references to "realityOS," the AR/VR operating system that will run Apple's rumored mixed reality headset, have been found in App Store upload logs and Apple open source code this morning.

apple-ar-headset-concept-2.jpeg
Concept render based on purported leaked information by Ian Zelbo

Apple is working on at least two AR projects that include an augmented reality headset set to be released in late 2022 or 2023, followed by a sleeker pair of augmented reality glasses coming at a later date.

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the headset will feature two M1-style Apple silicon chips providing Mac-level computing power, and offer an innovative experience with seamless switching between AR and VR modes.

The AR/VR headset is expected to run a new operating system, previously referred to as "rOS," which stands for Reality Operating System. Just as tvOS runs Apple TV, macOS runs Macs and watchOS runs Apple Watch, "rOS" is expected to power Apple's AR headset. First unearthed by Bloomberg in 2017, the AR/VR operating system is internally codenamed "Oak."

According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple wants to create an App Store for the headset, with a focus on gaming, streaming video content, and video conferencing. It has been described by Bloomberg as an "all-encompassing 3-D digital environment" designed for gaming, media consumption, and communication.

However, Apple's long-rumored AR/VR headset could be delayed until 2023 after being beset with issues during the development process, according to Bloomberg. Rumors initially suggested that Apple's AR/VR headset would come out at some point in 2022, perhaps at WWDC in June, but there are still development issues that Apple needs to overcome.

(Thanks, Matthew!)

Article Link: Apple's 'realityOS' for Rumored AR/VR Headset Referenced in Source Code

Last edited:
Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Built for realityOS

Experienced in realityOS

I can see this as being a shorthand Apple would love people to use, just using “reality”

Wonder if that means the headset will be called Reality?

Last edited:

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
somehow I doubt that is going to happen.
iOS is a good platform for gaming, powerful hardware, big market share, established ecosystem.

Honestly, Apple could totally do a fancy version of Gear VR. Pop in your iPhone pro in front of fresnel lenses, use the phone's accelerometer and cameras for position tracking, face tracking and pupil tracking (only rendering at full resolution where your eyes are actually looking saves tons of computing power).

That with the ARM based chips... the hardware is pretty much there already, just package it differently, 2 OLED displays in front of your face, cameras looking outward, one camera and Face ID sensor looking inward, M1 processor, battery and a slow fan (so your head doesn't heat up too much) in the back and you're golden for pretty hardcore VR gaming. Just add controllers with Taptic Engine and integrate the Apple Watch to ease up on the jump scares if your heat rate looks too high.

Apple would just provide tech demos and a store and developers would make games.

aries81

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2021
iOS is a good platform for gaming, powerful hardware, big market share, established ecosystem.

Honestly, Apple could totally do a fancy version of Gear VR. Pop in your iPhone pro in front of fresnel lenses, use the phone's accelerometer and cameras for position tracking, face tracking and pupil tracking (only rendering at full resolution where your eyes are actually looking saves tons of computing power).

That with the ARM based chips... the hardware is pretty much there already, just package it differently, 2 OLED displays in front of your face, cameras looking outward, one camera and Face ID sensor looking inward, M1 processor, battery and a slow fan (so your head doesn't heat up too much) in the back and you're golden for pretty hardcore VR gaming. Just add controllers with Taptic Engine and integrate the Apple Watch to ease up on the jump scares if your heat rate looks too high.

Apple would just provide tech demos and a store and developers would make games.

all valid points there. However IF their focus was on gaming, they would have looked more into it quite a while back, and especially with the M1/M2 there would be loads of possibilities there...however nothing has surfaced (yet?).

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
Video conferencing with a AR/VR-headset on? Wow, that will be interesting for other participants :cool:. Or, they want everyone to have a headset on and meet in a Virtual environment?
Well, solution looking for a problem.

Meta tried that during the last OculusConnect FacebookConnect MetaConnect. Hopefully full body tracking, face tracking and eye tracking as well as more general refinements to Horizon will make this less awkward.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Looking forward to it. My hunch is that this will still be announced at a live event this year, but won’t be available to consumers until next year. Hey, I’m just looking forward to finally seeing a live Apple event once again!

Reactions: Crow_Servo

_apple_apple_

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2021
I wonder if this confirms the product name based on past patterns:
- Apple TV => tvOS
- Apple Watch => watchOS
- iPad => iPadOS
- Mac => macOS

Based on the above, I would guess:
- Apple AR/Glasses => Apple Reality (AR)
- Apple VR/Headset => Apple Reality Max (AR Max) (based on AirPods Max)

Apple has always been about lifestyle and people, so I can understand wanting to get away from the word 'virtual' and all of its negative baggage.

Mikehuddd12

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2021
I hope it will be great! But I’ve been burned by too many first generation Apple products before. Sorry Apple I’m not interested until version three or four.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.