Apple's Revamped Privacy Site Highlights 'Everyday Apps, Designed for Your Privacy'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced an update to its privacy website that touches on various new privacy benefits found in iOS 13, iPadOS 13, watchOS 6, and more. Apple's updated website includes white papers on how the company approaches privacy in Safari, Sign in with Apple, Location Services, and Photos, providing visitors with a deeper insight into the company's privacy mission.

The website reinforces Apple's four core privacy principles: minimizing the data collected from users, processing the data on the device when possible, transparency when collecting data and how it's used, and strong device encryption. You can visit the website for yourself at Apple.com/privacy, which is now highlighting iOS apps like Maps, Photos, and Messages, and how they each enhance iPhone users' privacy.

According to Apple, there are multiple recent privacy and security innovations that it has accomplished with its latest software updates:
Contacts: Any notes stored in the notes section of the Contacts app will not be shared with third party applications when they are granted access to the Contacts app.
Find My: Apple uses end-to-end encryption to communicate with other Apple devices nearby in order to find lost iPhones and Macs, ensuring that it doesn't know the location of the device or the identity of the device that discovered it.
Arcade: No advertising or third-party tracking is ever permitted.
Background tracking notifications: iPhone owners now get notifications when apps are using their location in the background, providing them with a chance to turn this feature off. You can click on different tabs on the website to view the new white papers for services like Safari, Face ID, Location Services, and more. While the website itself remains a straightforward look at how Apple handles user data, each white paper offers a more nuanced dive into specific programs and services at Apple, and how the company is aiming to enhance privacy with every new update.

The site also includes a tab for its transparency reports, showcasing how Apple is committed to being transparent about responding to government requests for user data around the world. Here you can scroll through each region to see how often Apple has shared user data with the local government, beginning as far back as 2013 and stretching to 2018.

Article Link: Apple's Revamped Privacy Site Highlights 'Everyday Apps, Designed for Your Privacy'

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
It would be cool to be fully private overall. I hate when I look at a product on one platform and then Facebook, Instagram and web overall is advertising it after. Hell, I don't even have facebook and instagram connected and yet those suckers still talk to each other. Bastards
I hope Apple can put a stop to this eventually

Skyblve

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2019
Right now I still hates privacy in the setting page in IOS 13 where it still pop up infos even when you not even touching the privacy buttons

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It would be cool to be fully private overall. I hate when I look at a product on one platform and then Facebook, Instagram and web overall is advertising it after. Hell, I don't even have facebook and instagram connected and yet those suckers still talk to each other. Bastards
Aside from measures that enhance hardware security, Apple's privacy features are just token measures to calm the hysteria and paranoia, while doing nothing real to allow privacy and internet commerce to co-exist. To benefit from improved AI services you have to grant permission to surveil you. To continue enjoying free content you have to pay the Devil his dues; otherwise, get your credit card out.

Annoying ads are not the bogeyman. Speaking of which, I've encountered my share of "coincidental" ads for Apple products even while Googling a competing product or service. For example, I researched the Nuheara ear buds and was fed Apple airpod ads and videos on Youtube thereafter. Sure, it was Google who made it possible, but it was Apple who unabashedly used the very system they claim to disapprove of.

Woutje

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2005
If Apple cares so much about privacy, why is there no firewall or API for this in iOS yet?!?
The only way to have a firewall in iOS is if you connect through a VPN and that VPN happens to offer firewall features, but that's just ridiculous. The VPN company still knows everything, so not good for privacy.

An easy built-in Tor on/off switch would also be revolutionary, but I doubt Apple will be this "innovating".

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Stop visiting those web sites then.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I think the privacy focus is partially trying to turn a weakness into a strength. I don't think Apple is capable of doing some of the smart cloud-based things Google does, for example. Google Assistant and Google Photos are just smarter than Siri and Photos. The other day I searched for "ballot" in Google Photos (I had taken a picture of my ballot) and it found it instantly. In Photos, it doesn't have nearly that level of sophistication—and it won't even let me search by image file name. Siri is, well, anyone who uses Siri knows how it is.

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I think the privacy focus is partially trying to turn a weakness into a strength. I don't think Apple is capable of doing some of the smart cloud-based things Google does, for example. Google Assistant and Google Photos are just smarter than Siri and Photos. The other day I searched for "ballot" in Google Photos (I had taken a picture of my ballot) and it found it instantly. In Photos, it doesn't have nearly that level of sophistication—and it won't even let me search by image file name. Siri is, well, anyone who uses Siri knows how it is.
Exactly what Facebook is doing. Pretending to be privacy focused but using user data to help business partners.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
There's lots of good reasons I stay in the Apple ecosystem, but this one is probably one of the biggest. I'm very glad they have put so much emphasis on this.

rgbrock1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2016
SC
Give me an option to remove Google in search engines for Safari.
You might not be able to remove it from Safari but you can indeed change it to something else rendering Google search effectively ineffective!
- - Post merged: - -

Stop visiting those web sites then.
You do not have to visit Farcebook for it to keep tabs on you. Just by visiting a web site with a Farcebook icon on it so you can "like" the page will cause Farcebook to plant a cookie to keep tabs on your Web movements. Which is why I use Firefox which has a thing called "Containers" which prevents Farcebook from doing that.

Last edited:

andrewxgx

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2018
Apple lost their privacy focus the moment their didn't allow to turn off Siri suggestions completely.

More than that, turning off on app basis doesn't seem to work either: I have all safari suggestions and Siri learning turned off and I still see suggestions with websites I visited on other devices. And yeah, iCloud sync is turned off. So good job Apple at respecting my privacy, good job.

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
You do not have to visit Farcebook for it to keep tabs on you. Just by visiting a web site with a Farcebook icon on it so you can "like" the page will cause Farcebook to plant a cookie to keep tabs on your Web movements. Which is why I use Firefox which has a thing called "Containers" which prevents Farcebook from doing that.
Pretty much all sites with ads do this to variable degrees. It's called tracking pixels. Your best bet is to just disable cookies, or even more so disable JavaScript. Easy.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
While I do believe Apple advocates for privacy in their services and hardware...a pretty web page with fluffy words doesn't persuade me as well as it used to. There has been a lot recently that has shown Apple's push for privacy as a human right only goes so far. China is the first thing that comes to mind...along with them getting caught having contractors listening to Siri snippets (just like every other company) and quickly trying to do damage control on it because they got caught (adding an option to opt-in to sending Siri recordings to be analyzed in the following iOS update). There are other issues as well too like the fact that all the code is private so no one actually knows FOR SURE just how secure their systems are. That is more a tinfoil viewpoint because we will never know for sure. While I like that iMessage is E2E encrypted I am pretty sure anything that is backed up to iCloud, Apple has the keys to and can retrieve if they really wanted to (government warrant). I would wager most of their users use iCloud for backing up everything so if that is the case all that fancy privacy just went out the window.

But again, at least they are putting an effort into making it look like they care about privacy and security. That is way more than any other big tech company is doing. I just don't trust them as much as I used to.

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
You might not be able to remove it from Safari but you can indeed change it to something else rendering Google search effectively ineffective!
- - Post merged: - -

I didn't say stop visiting FB, stop visiting web sites where they can track you. Stop visiting bestbuy.com and similar sites that track you.

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
If Apple cares so much about privacy, why is there no firewall or API for this in iOS yet?!?
The only way to have a firewall in iOS is if you connect through a VPN and that VPN happens to offer firewall features, but that's just ridiculous. The VPN company still knows everything, so not good for privacy.

An easy built-in Tor on/off switch would also be revolutionary, but I doubt Apple will be this "innovating".
This. And an open, publicly demonstrable way to audit your device to make sure it is not snitching.

If enterprise companies could trust Apple with their IP more than they do with Microsoft, then we are literally talking business.