Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
It wouldn't surprise me to see the 2021 models given the 's' naming scheme as next year will more than likely be nothing but spec bump rather than the hardware redesign we had this year.

Then the all-new fully wireless model in 2022 which has been strongly rumoured & discussed.
We didn't have a hardware redesign for the iPhone 7, 8, and 11. Yet, they all got a new number. The 's' system fit better when they did do a hardware redesign every two years (which they don't do anymore for understandable reasons). That doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't do 's' models anymore, just that that naming element will not be linked to the hardware design as directly anymore.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
The Chinese don’t feel anything about the number 13. That’s a western superstition.
The number 4 (including 14, 24 etc) is sometimes shunned in Chinese cultures because it resembles the character for death. China would be more likely to skip the iPhone 14 than the iPhone 13.
That’s quite the interesting tidbits.

These types of superstitions do make me roll on the ground. That 13 number, like on building’s elevators when they skip it, where buttons go from floor 12 to 14... are people really unaware that no matter what it says (that button could have a sticker that says floor 418) physically it is a 13th floor.

How do people deal with that! Scary! /s

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
That’s quite the interesting tidbits.

These types of superstitions do make me roll on the ground. That 13 number, like on building’s elevators when they skip it, where buttons go from floor 12 to 14... are people really unaware that no matter what it says (that button could have a sticker that says floor 418) physically it is a 13th floor.

How do people deal with that! Scary! /s
I lived in Hong Kong for two years. My apartment was an absolute bargain in a really nice part of town because it overlooked a (quite attractive) old cemetery.

I was on 23rd floor, which was really the 21st (no 4th or 14th); I know that to be true because I once and only once walked up the stairs...

Reactions: amartinez1660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.