Apple's Rumored 18W USB-C iPhone Power Adapter Prototype Shown Off in New Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2018.

1. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when you are excited about a charger.

Apple, this is what we're down to since you won't release anything new..

2. Ruggy macrumors regular

3. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Ha ha. I agree. I was being flippant (as usual). If that’s the best Apple can boast being one the richest companies in the world then perhaps their marketing company is performing a helluva lot better than their R&D department because people are still happily paying more cash for less tech.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

To be clear, wireless charging isn’t new at all, it is for the iPhone in the sense of the iPhone 8/X offering it for the first time last year, and now the Airpower debuting soon. I do see wireless charging being convenient as I mentioned before as the iPhone progresses. The other issue that will always will be with wireless charging, is that requires direct placement and you really essentially can’t use your phone if you need to without picking up the phone. And of course, wireless charging likely is not as fast as a wired charging method, especially that you can opt for a fast wireless charger or even some that use an iPad charger.

I believe the lightning port will be obsolete at one point, but I don’t believe that technology is ready yet, as I’m sure battery technology will also have to be more progressive as well.

Charging stations already are ubiquitous if you think about it, airports, various coffee shops, certain vehicle models are now coming standard with wireless charging mats, even libraries and local colleges have wireless charging stations in my area etc.

On My opinion, where the *real* advancement will be for wireless charging, will be long range wireless charging where it won’t require direct replacement at all. I understand that technology is certainly not ready as of yet, but I believe that will eventually be here, along with the battery progression technology.

5. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

What’s your second guess about why Apple is doing as financially well as they are?

6. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

It's what they call an enigma.

Guessing and conjecture have no place here. There's no logical reasoning why.
    People buy Apple stuff "cos its Apple innit?"
    They always have and they always will.
    Oh And it's got good resale value, yeah?

7. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

Oh, really?

The iPhone 8 and X series include only a lightening to USB-3 cable. The 2015 and newer MBA and 2016 and newer MBP lines do not have any ports to plug that cable into.

So you need to buy an extra adapter to connect Apple's current model phones to Apple's current model laptops. Exactly as I said.

8. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

So USB to lightning 2? No way they are going to ditch their proprietary cables.

9. the johnmc macrumors regular

the johnmc

The correct way.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    USB-C doesn’t necessarily make sense on an iPhone... but does on an iPad Pro, when you consider all that it’s projected to be. And if all these iPad Pro USB-C capabilities are accomplished on the iPad, it would also make sense to reduce them down to iPhone.

I’m not saying it’ll happen, but it seems plausible.