Apple's Rumored 18W USB-C iPhone Power Adapter Prototype Shown Off in New Photos

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
We went from 30-pin to Lightning on the device end.

Now we're going from USB-A to USB-C on the charger end.

Is this the last time this kind of change needs to happen? I feel like we'll be good for a while. :p

BGPL

macrumors regular
May 4, 2016
California
with people disconnecting from the power grid
Huh? Who's disconnecting from the power grid? I have a massive solar system, but I am still connected to the grid because my array does nothing at night, and batteries are still way beyond being financially worth while. I personally know one person who could disconnected from the grid if they wanted to. How many do you know? And what is that 1/100,000?

You are literally 10-15 years ahead, at best.

magbarn

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2008
They won’t do that. USB-C is worse than lightning in every way for use in iPhones. It’s fatter. It doesn’t hold as securely. It also offers no technical benefits, since iPhone will never make use of any additional usb-c features.

The lightning port will likely go away in a few years, but nothing will replace it.
I agree usb C has nowhere the durability of lighting connector. My iPhone gets charged multiple times a day and the usb C port on my 2016 MacBook is already loose!

marty11

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
I don’t see wireless charging as “better” way to charge, I see it as a more convenient way to charge your devices. Its merely an alternative option, its likely not a primary choice by many. Also, others still like to charge their devices and use them simultaneously with their iPhone or iPad, so wireless charging it has its disadvantages too.
Sure, wired is better if speed and/or using your phone while charging is important. But I really think in 5 years cabled charging will be close to gone. We are in the infancy of iphone wireless charging. I think charging stations will be so ubiquitous in homes, offices, cars and public places and the speed will get better, so that your phone will probably be hard pressed to not have a full charge during the day.

Reactions: profets

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Without the lightning port, how would Apple make money off the lucrative dongle market. USB-C would allow anyone to create price competitive and feature rich options, something Apple will not compete in.

Anyone thinking the lightening port is something special and does not have any competing variants is high off the Apple marketing smoke.

What would Apple do without selling dongles to its users, after removing useful ports that people actually need and use. Get rid of that HDMI port, solution we have Apple TV, guess what it connects to a TV via HDMI.

Apple innovation one step forward, two steps sideways and backward. Must be the new Apple squaredance mission statement.
Apple is already making phones that have wireless charging and they’ve yet to sell a wireless charger.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
With solar panels, wind power, geothermal, etc, why are we wasting energy through converting it from DC to AC in the western continent. If we had DC appliances available here at the same or reduced cost, people with solar panels, etc can just charge their devices directly from a storage battery or source.

AC power made sense back in the day due to running powerlines over an extended distance, with people disconnecting from the power grid, we are just sticking to prior standards with inefficiencies.
The amount of people disconnecting from the grid is minuscule.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
I have a charger in bedroom, living room, office, at work, and in my car (USB). Going C will mean I need to change all of those chargers or get adapters for all of them.
You can still use your current charger I’d assume. You don’t have to use this one.

Reactions: chabig

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Huh? Who's disconnecting from the power grid? I have a massive solar system, but I am still connected to the grid because my array does nothing at night, and batteries are still way beyond being financially worth while. I personally know one person who could disconnected from the grid if they wanted to. How many do you know? And what is that 1/100,000?

You are literally 10-15 years ahead, at best.
Fossil fuel generators are also an option for night time usage, some have decent sound proofing. Some stay connected to sell their excess power back to the grid to repay for the expense of installing the system. We would all be there sooner, if it was not for political interests.

PlainviewUVGF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
But if you already have charging blocks + cables around the house that are lightning, why not use them? It’s not like existing charging setups will stop working.
You can still use your current charger I’d assume. You don’t have to use this one.
I agree with bout of you, but it will remain to be seen of Apple keeps Lightning on the phone. I’m not holding my breath on that one.

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Apple is already making phones that have wireless charging and they’ve yet to sell a wireless charger.
The vapourware AirPower as you mentioned is yet to be sold. Prematurely announced, may have been too optimistic in its capabilities. I am sure if it was ready and in store presently, your tone would be different.
[doublepost=1530573541][/doublepost]
The amount of people disconnecting from the grid is minuscule.
It is political that has not seen the adoption more wide spread. Before mentioning cost, efficiency, etc, people want a commitment from governments at all levels that will be proactive to their decision and investment. Without that support, people tend to be hesitant.

avkills

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
I guess if you are busy designing chargers, you don't have time for anything like new Macs. WTF Apple who the **** cares about a God damn charger.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Does this mean that by the end of 2018 the iPhone will finally be able to connect to all the mac laptops releases since 2015 without purchasing additional adaptors?

Way to say on top of those product lines, Timmy.
There is no need to wait to the end of 2018. They can do that today, as they did last year.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I agree with bout of you, but it will remain to be seen of Apple keeps Lightning on the phone. I’m not holding my breath on that one.
Ahh, I see what you’re saying. That’ll be a whole different ball game if they change the phone’s port from Lightning to USB-C.

Just my opinion, but I think we have a better chance at seeing a port-less iPhone than one with USB-C.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
Because there are so many ways to design wall warts. Remember what they looked like before Apple actually reconsidered the design of them? If anything, the pixel wall wart looks exactly like an oblong Apple one.
I don't see it. Pixel charged looks nothing like anything Apple has available. But like you say, it's just a charger.