Apple's Rumored 18W USB-C iPhone Power Adapter Prototype Shown Off in New Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t see wireless charging as “better” way to charge, I see it as a more convenient way to charge your devices. Its merely an alternative option, its likely not a primary choice by many. Also, others still like to charge their devices and use them simultaneously with their iPhone or iPad, so wireless charging it has its disadvantages too.

2. kanselmo macrumors member

USB-C is the holy grail for hosts. Lightning is what is used for devices.

3. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

Does this mean that by the end of 2018 the iPhone will finally be able to connect to all the mac laptops releases since 2015 without purchasing additional adaptors?

Way to say on top of those product lines, Timmy.

4. curtvaughan macrumors 65816

curtvaughan

Well, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, the real point being that a reason to replace lightning with USB-C would be to standardize ports throughout the Apple line of products. If their laptops now only sport USB-C, making the iPhones/iPads the same would lessen the need for adapters and dongles for cross connections. A whole product line of multiple port expansion devices has come to the fore precisely because Apple chose to eliminate most ports from their laptops.

5. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Anker has a USB-C charger; add two dollars and it has a USB-C and USB-3 (IQ) charger.

Also, Apple can use foldable prongs.

6. curtvaughan macrumors 65816

curtvaughan

I don't see wireless headphones as a "better" way to listen to music, but a more convenient way to listen under some circumstances. It should be merely an alternative option, not the only option for sound. Also, others still like to charge their devices while listening to music, and prefer not to have to charge batteries for headphones in addition to other devices. Wireless headphones have their disadvantages too.

Sorry to paraphrase - I agree with you, and just wanted to point out the parallel argument for retaining or removing the headphone jack. It's beating a dead horse with Apple, as they've pretty much decided on a path toward few or no ports at all.

7. bushman4 macrumors 68020

The prongs on this charger need to be foldable like on the 49w charger
    While this charger may be smaller it’s not compact with the prongs sticking out

8. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

This will silence the critics out there!

Beat THAT Samsung!

9. fokmik macrumors 68040

based on the dimensions, this will be for the new ipads pro.

10. VictorTango777, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

If Lightning is so much better, then perhaps Apple should make all future Macs and Macbooks with Lightning port only, and then sell new "x to Lightning" dongles for everything else.

11. profets macrumors 601

That’s a good thought. What if these are only meant to be bundled with upcoming iPad Pro?

12. erinsarah macrumors 6502

I'm amazed it took four pages worth of comments for someone to point this out. I wholeheartedly agree.

13. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

That is crazy talk, quick retract it before Apple gets any innovative courageous ideas ;):eek::p:D
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2018 ---
    That would be nice, however in the world of Apple iPhone power adapters don’t receive the retractable prong love.

14. bluecoast macrumors 65816

This isn’t a big deal, really, is it?

It’s obviously going to be USB-C to lightening (on the iOS device side) that provides faster charging.

Presumably this means that the LCD notch phone gets a bigger battery than the 8, the X by all accounts should’ve already had this and the X Plus is obviously going to have a humongous battery, necessating this.

And we can safely assume that all new Macs are going to move to USB-C / TB from now on.

15. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

This is why I was thinking that Apple hasn't included such a charger until this point: size. It's more difficult to fit the charging components needed for this type of charger into a smaller enclosure. They probably wanted to switch to USB-C but weren't able to engineer it until now. Looks like they compromised by making it a bit wider but this shouldn't affect iPhone packaging much.

I also wonder if this has anything to do with AirPower. To be able to charge three devices at once they would likely need USB-C and this could be the charger for that as well.

16. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

It's a square plug with rounded corners.;)

17. T Coma macrumors 6502

T Coma

Likely a bit longer than it takes the Apple Defense League to construct a Straw Man about it; a.k.a., the pre-complaint.

18. x34 macrumors 6502a

here i am. so i need another adapter. oh well apple!

19. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

For those who can't wait, the Google Pixel Charger does the job now (iPhone 8 and up).

20. PlainviewUVGF macrumors 6502a

PlainviewUVGF

The USB end is C. Can't use old cables. I would have to get a bunch of new cables, adapters, or chargers.

21. konqerror macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about? Amazon right now, the Anker PowerPort is $53 (4 USB-A+ 1 USB-PD). The 5 port USB-A PowerPort 5 is $22.99. That's not $2.

You have to compare USB-PD chargers, as that is the mechanism for high-power. USB-C without PD is the same 5 V.

22. TaviDuprix macrumors member

TaviDuprix

"Available in Rose Gold"

23. Arty6 macrumors member

What?

iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation and later), and iPad Pro 10.5-inch can all (already) charge with USB-C (USB-PD).
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2018 ---
    As does any of the the other hundreds of USB-PD adapters available on the market.

24. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

25. profets macrumors 601

But if you already have charging blocks + cables around the house that are lightning, why not use them? It’s not like existing charging setups will stop working.