Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's rumored 27-inch external display with mini-LED backlighting is no longer expected to launch in the first quarter of 2023, according to display industry analyst Ross Young, who has a very good track record with rumors about future Apple products.

mac-studio-and-studio-display.jpeg

Young today informed MacRumors that he has not seen any signs of the display entering mass production, suggesting that a launch is not imminent. It appears that the display has been pushed back several times, as Young initially expected it to launch around June 2022, and then in October, and most recently in the first quarter of 2023. He has not provided an updated timeframe for when the display might be released.

Young previously said the display will support ProMotion, allowing for up to a 120Hz refresh rate. Given the rumored 27-inch size, it's possible the display will be a next-generation version of the Studio Display, but it could also be a new model positioned between the Studio Display and the higher-end Pro Display XDR. The current Studio Display features a 5K resolution without ProMotion and is priced starting at $1,599.

Apple released the Pro Display XDR alongside a new Mac Pro in December 2019, while the Studio Display launched in March 2022 alongside the Mac Studio.

Young is the CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC). In the past, he accurately revealed that iPhone 13 Pro and high-end MacBook Pro models would feature ProMotion, that the sixth-generation iPad mini would be equipped with an 8.3-inch display, that the latest MacBook Air would have a slightly larger 13.6-inch display, and more.

Article Link: Apple's Rumored 27-Inch Display With Mini-LEDs Delayed Yet Again

Last edited:

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
I do wonder what'll happen to the Pro Display XDR if they don't release another display in the next couple of years. Will they discontinue it or just continue to sell a display from late 2019 for original price in 2024?

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I was gonna connect my MBA to a killer monitor but since I can't really find anything around 27" that competes with the MBPs yet I'll just get a 16" MBP and drop it on a stand until something decent comes out. Should be some more better options in a year or two.

Reactions: harold.ji

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
It sounds like they wanted to release a pro-motion display in this chassis last year but they ran into production issues. Doesn't make sense to just put a new exterior on the LG 5k and call it good. When they do put a 120hz display in there I will definitely be buying one. Color is important to me for work but not enough to justify $5k on the xdr. 5k is plenty res for me but 120hz at 5k would be amazing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.