Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Same here, but the camera is horrid, and the speakers are sub par to most phones in it's class. Not to mention battery life is mediocre.

The Camera itself isn't Horrid. its google's software for the camera thats absolutely dreadful. You'd think they'd be able to see all the Skinned Androids and their camera software and realize what they have is junk. Seriously, go use a 3rd party camera App on the N5, and the camera feels normal again.

Speakers do indeed feel weak. but for fully unlocked retail price phone at $300 less than the competition, you do expect some minor sacrifices. The single speaker is quite loud, but man, is that sound, just not very crisp.

I've managed to get a day out of a battery charge now though. I changed my runtime to ART and I use ES Task manager to make sure widgets and apps i don't use frequently don't sit active using battery.

However, The N5 is pretty damn close to the $650 phones in actual quality of the components and device.

ONTOPIC:

I think Apple, while they shouldn't be afraid.. should be keeping tabs on the competition. Blackberry didnt, and assumed what they were doing internally was good enough... it backfired. All companies should be mindful of their competition in order to survive.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
As someone who has been in the Mac / Apple camp since 1995 about 4 months ago I bought a Moto G for $ 199.00 off contract on Amazon to give Android a try as a phone. I have to admit that I'm extremely happy with Android as a phone OS and I'm not sure I could ever go back to a non swipe keyboard since 75% of my device use is for e-mails / texts it has proven itself to be superior for my use. I will be one of those people who uses a Mac / iPad / Android phone unless Apple really wows me with iOS 8.

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
It is also worth considering how phones are being used less and less for their originally intended purpose. The phone app is probably the least used app on my errr, phone.

Their intended purpose being communicating? That would be wrong. Besides, if this comment is aimed at justifying the size, why settle for something as puny as 4 - 6 inch phones? Grab a tablet instead- done!

Size has always seemed like a petty excuse to justify the size of huge phones, as soon as Apple joins the club, people will come up with another absurd excuse. Apple should release a bigger iPhone though, I'd love to see those reactions.

----------

Yeah, Apple fans could care less about a quality device at a good value. They just want to be "Hip"...

Enjoy your elegant and magical phone you hipsters!!

You are totally misinterpreted that comment. Lol.

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
London
I'm committed to Macs (I have five) and we have an iPad but Android phones are just good and much cheaper for the power you get. I've just got a Galaxy S4 on contract for less than £20 a month in the UK (an upgrade from an S2) - it's very good and 4G too. I do like the more uncontrolled nature of the apps on Android.

M.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
to be fair, 4.7 would look more like the one in the middle. its not much bigger than a 4.0 iPhone if done right.

also many people do not use their phones to make calls anymore. I have yet to make a single phone call with my secondary phone the Nexus 4 ^^ and only about 6 hours total on my iPhone 5 (i rather text back and forth i hate calling)

Yeah, 4.7 inches sounds perfect. I'm just making fun of "phablets", like the Galaxy Mega and the Lumia 1520

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
I think the consensus in this thread is,"Hurry it up already Apple. You're years late to the party."

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
On the hardware side, it sounds like they are taking the right approach with bigger screens.

The software side - they really should expand their API's to allow more widescale changes. I know this is a strongpoint with iOS vs Android but quite frankly, it allows people on Android to have more functionally useful apps.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Same here, but the camera is horrid, and the speakers are sub par to most phones in it's class. Not to mention battery life is mediocre.

I disagree. Camera is solid. I had an S4 and iPhone 5 and I'd say their speakers are marginally better. Battery life is probably 10-15% less with on-screen time compared to those phones and identical while idle or playing audio.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Good. Nobody wants a obscenely large iPhone screen just because a few novelty Android devices have them.
It's just sooo tiring reading posts from people stating what I want. It's not like Apple is going to do away the 4" display altogether, so why bitch about also having the larger display for the many of us who want it. And yes, there are many...

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I will be one of those people who use a Mac / iPad / Android phone unless Apple really wows me with iOS 8.

I lasted a year with a rooted S3 before moving back to an iPhone 5s. Too many workarounds/tweaking to crowbar an Android device into an Apple world for my likings, but it can be done. That's as much the fault of Apple as Google though - neither want you to mix.

Android is good fun if you like tweaking/customising - I miss that aspect.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Simple: reduce your margin to lower the price. Most of the people I know who have an Android phone wanted an iPhone but thought it was too expensive (I know, I know, it's relative, yadda yadda yadda) but the price tag is simply too high.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
But they're so hip.

In reality, I almost always use my phone with the Apple Earbuds and the built-in mircophone. I abhor putting my touchscreen next to my ear. I wouldn't mind trying life with a larger screen. I just don't like the idea of needing two hands to hold the darn thing. If want that, I'll pick up an iPad.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
The idea of the one size fits all phone was ludicrous once it became evident that this was Apple's most important product.

The old Jobs "We know better" mentality sometimes really hampers Apple's clear thinking.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Genuine question: Does this have anything to do with the Patient infringement case that is being held, why was Samsung allowed to bring this up?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
In reality, I almost always use my phone with the Apple Earbuds and the built-in mircophone. I abhor putting my touchscreen next to my ear. I wouldn't mind trying life with a larger screen. I just don't like the idea of needing two hands to hold the darn thing. If want that, I'll pick up an iPad.

Some of the more recent 5" and 4.7" are't that physically bigger than the iPhone, as Samsung, HTC and LG have done a lot of work on having the screen use the most space available, reducing the borders and bezels tremendously.

They're larger, But many you can easily operate 1 handed (YMMV, depending on your own factors). The Moto X for example is a 4.7" that is TINY by today's standards that has received a lot of praise for being such a small actuall phone, while having such a large screen.

I think one of the problems iPhone users have, is they expect with a larger screen, that all other dimensions of the phone must increase with it. Given the iPhones current dimensions, yes, a 5" phone would look huge and be nearly 8.3" wide!

I've posted it before cause it's a really cool chart. But Apple isn't all that modern with their efficient use of space with their screens, And if they come out with a larger device, you should expect that this efficiency should improve greatly, making a 4.7 or 5" phone not dramatically larger than current iPhones.

Screen-to-phone-size-ratio.png

mcfinch

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Apple is finally figuring out that people want a bigger screen? When someone can get a Nexus 5 with a 5 inch screen unlocked for $349 then why would they buy an iPhone with a 4 inch screen unlocked for $649? :cool:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Some of the more recent 5" and 4.7" are't that physically bigger than the iPhone, as Samsung, HTC and LG have done a lot of work on having the screen use the most space available, reducing the borders and bezels tremendously.

They're larger, But many you can easily operate 1 handed (YMMV, depending on your own factors). The Moto X for example is a 4.7" that is TINY by today's standards that has received a lot of praise for being such a small actuall phone, while having such a large screen.

I think one of the problems iPhone users have, is they expect with a larger screen, that all other dimensions of the phone must increase with it. Given the iPhones current dimensions, yes, a 5" phone would look huge and be nearly 8.3" wide!

I've posted it before cause it's a really cool chart. But Apple isn't all that modern with their efficient use of space with their screens, And if they come out with a larger device, you should expect that this efficiency should improve greatly, making a 4.7 or 5" phone not dramatically larger than current iPhones.

IMO, Apple needs to come up with a virtual home button as it currently takes up space that could be used to increase screen size.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.