Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Am I surpised by Apple doing this no.
But at the same time it is a HUGE waste of money at the tune of 100k/year per employee for the cheapest one and it only goes north of there. That means Apple is spending at least 100k/year for the lowest employee on said project.
That is a huge waste of money.

I don't think money is an issue for Apple.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Finally! A new post. I swear MacRumors just shuts down on the weekends. It's like a 9-5 job! Please post on the weekends, macrumors!

THIS. I feel like a strange Apply junky, but srsly, find a way to post on the weekends!

----------

You should cut down, and then slowly try to re-integrate into the real world.
This story satisfied your 'need' for something (anything) Apple related?
Wow.

The real world is vastly overrated.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
I guess I just see things a little different. When someone gives something that's really good to me for free, I try not to complain that I'm not getting enough of it. I'd rather consider myself fortunate that I even have it to begin with.

I wouldn't say anyone is giving you MacRumors for "free", because you are being inundated with advertisements as a condition of viewing the site. To be truly free, the site would have to have zero ads and require no personal information (i.e. - "registration") to post or participate. As it is, you represent revenue to Macrumors, and your "click" labor is harvested by them for profit (ad sales).

orangerizzla

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Hampton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Could this explain all the people rumoured to have been developing Final Cut Pro 8? ;-)

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Who would subject themselves to that? Distrust and insult right from the first day..... It's not human.

(Moreover, who would do that to somebody?)

Last edited:

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You know what's amazing about this book? It's the fact that you can buy this controversial book on the iBookstore without any problems. Who knows, maybe this is the new Apple being more restrained about censorship?

Given that this "fake projects" thing is some guy who's guessing his engineer friend works on fake projects, not that he actually knows if there's fake projects.... If there were any reviewers in Cupertino, they'd be secretly laughing their asses off at the silly notion. "Approved! Reviewer comment: Great sci-fi!"

Like mrkramer said, I'd venture a guess that these so-called fake projects were actually tech investigations with some sort of real intent. Just found to be unsuitable to bring to market. From the inside, that'd be extremely different than a fake project. From the outside, it wouldn't look any different.

If you're going to burn tons of money on engineers, might as well give them something somebody found interesting, yeah?

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Who would subject themselves to that? Distrust and insult right from the first day..... It's not human.

Quite the contrary. I think initial organizational distrust (or lack of complete trust) is very common and manifests in a variety of ways across all walks of life, to include employment.

You are fully open to anyone and everyone you meet...right from the start?

If not, why not?

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
You are fully open to anyone and everyone you meet...right from the start?

If not, why not?

Maybe if I was psycho I'd play tricks on people to test them. Or if I was God, I'd tell Abraham to stab his own son just to see if he'd do it. I think it's crazy.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Maybe if I was psycho I'd play tricks on people to test them. Or if I was God, I'd tell Abraham to stab his own son just to see if he'd do it. I think it's crazy.

You may thinks it's crazy, but I'll bet you conduct similar privacy tactics as well, just maybe not as 'elaborate' as this writer has described (but not proven).

We all withold bits of ourselves when meeting newbies.

Except, of course, on the internet.

scotth23

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
I wouldn't say anyone is giving you MacRumors for "free", because you are being inundated with advertisements as a condition of viewing the site. To be truly free, the site would have to have zero ads and require no personal information (i.e. - "registration") to post or participate. As it is, you represent revenue to Macrumors, and your "click" labor is harvested by them for profit (ad sales).

I don't pay for their content. If it was the New York Times, my readership would be limited and eventually cost me despite the abundance of ads. What they do with my readership or my clicks comes at no financial cost to me.

Over the air network television is free because the ads are bought based on popularity. I'm not paying NBC every time I watch Fear Factor.

Given how much is going behind a paywall on the Internet lately, I think it's safe to differentiate "pay" sites versus "non-pay" sites as being "paid" and "free."

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
1. Working on dummy projects is actually quite common for military-aerospace company college hire newbies, while waiting for their security clearance. Nothing new here, except Apple (currently) doesn't (seem to) have any hidden hangers and runways on a nearby base.

2. I've heard stories that date back to the 80's about Apple employees purposely making up stories about fake projects when talking where they could be overheard in public (back when they were actually allowed out of their cages). Bonus points if they could get a fake rumor published in infoworld.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Lion is most certainly not Leopard 2.0.

Snow Leopard was a ste
p forwards in speed and reliability. Lion took that step back. Its no where near as reliable and has a number of odd undesired quirks. Just because you yourself have yet to find one, it doesn't mean they dont exist.

You'll find people like myself who work on a Mac for the best part of 9 hours a day will notice a lot more.

One such issue that is very easy to replicate is finders list view - if you've got a large number of items in your download folder, and open it in list view, the second you go into a sub-directory the list view craps out and overlaps all kinds of files. Scrolling stops working and the window has to be closed as its unusable.
Yep, lion is great in a lot of ways, but still got lots of bugs... don’t get me started on Xcode! arggghhh!

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Just a possibility: While some engineers with tons of experience build new APIs, someone has to write real-world applications to check if these APIs work as intended, are as reliable as intended, and easy to use as intended, and whether the documentation is good enough. For example, _someone_ had to write an application that presses CoreData to its limits. The engineers building CoreData don't have the time to do that, and are anyway not the right people to do the testing.

And who better to do that than a new team member. They have no knowledge of how things are meant to be, no back story. Only how it does work and the current documentation to go on. Throwing them at it cold is a good test of the Framework and the new staff.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I think it just makes sense, and I'm impressed that a company would invest the money necessary.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Working on "fake" projects til you earn trust is very similar to how intelligence and spy agencies handle new hires and recruits. They give you an assignment where you follow a friendly while you are told they are enemy. If you rat or compromise, nothing is lost. It is a classic test to vet a double agent and mole hunt. For a private company to do this, it is very expensive. One reason why I turned Apple down twice. So what retired Company man taught Apple management this one?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
This approach by Apple reminds me of how Jeff Lynne was said to have recorded Electric Light Orchestra songs during the band's heyday.

Lynne would bring band members into the recording studio individually, having them sing or play just a few notes at a time, and he would then later assemble all of the bits and pieces on his own. His bandmates often wouldn't hear the completed songs until the albums were released to the public!

And — wouldn't you know it — during the 1970s, ELO's music was (much like Apple's products today) considered by its fans to be insanely great.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Now that's what I would call "narcissistic personality disorder".

Again, what evidence? Have you actually ever posted any evidence for any of your remarks?

1. That is what I would call sarcasm.

2. Have you posted any evidence to prove my comments wrong? Thanks. I didn't think so.

Thanks, I rest my case.

So you think he was just being a normal, careful person back in the 70's and 80's when Apple was nothing? Did people wait in line for days for new Apple products back then? Did the media hype them to the max?

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
So you think he was just being a normal, careful person back in the 70's and 80's when Apple was nothing? Did people wait in line for days for new Apple products back then? Did the media hype them to the max?

Sighhh, I'll type slowly...

You suggested he was always paranoid, I implied (by resting my case) that his paranoia is why Apple is now great. Or at least part of the reason.

Let me spell it out further:
I'm in the camp that Apple is what it is because of its actions.
You seem to be of the camp that Apple is what it is by dumb luck and despite its actions.

Let me wrap it up for you:
Apple spends an assload of money on security to include "fake projects" to vet new hires and ferret out moles. You think it is a waste of money. I say it is obviously money well employed based on their market success and that they have yet to be one-upped on product announcement date.

Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I don't think money is an issue for Apple.
It's widely known within the confines of Silicon Valley that Apple pays very modestly. They were like Disney, even before the two companies became so close.

Both "Sell the Dream" of working for a well respected brand, paying near the bottom of the range as compared to the same jobs elsewhere.

They give prospects and new hires the hard sell, "it's not about the money"... :eek:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
1. That is what I would call sarcasm.

2. Have you posted any evidence to prove my comments wrong? Thanks. I didn't think so.

1. I have some vague idea of your thought process. Sarcasm? Don't think so.
2. If you claim that someone has a mental illness, the onus is on you.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Sighhh, I'll type slowly...

You suggested he was always paranoid, I implied (by resting my case) that his paranoia is why Apple is now great. Or at least part of the reason.

Let me spell it out further:
I'm in the camp that Apple is what it is because of its actions.
You seem to be of the camp that Apple is what it is by dumb luck and despite its actions.

Let me wrap it up for you:
Apple spends an assload of money on security to include "fake projects" to vet new hires and ferret out moles. You think it is a waste of money. I say it is obviously money well employed based on their market success and that they have yet to be one-upped on product announcement date.

No need to be condescending. Personally I don't think that Steve's paranoia made Apple great. I agree with you that Apple's actions are what made it great. And yes some luck is always involved in every successful venture but I do not think that their success is due to luck.

I never mentioned waste of money. One thing Apple doesn't do is waste money. I simply said that Steve was one paranoid individual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.