Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's September 15 Event Said to Be Focused on iPad and Apple Watch, Not iPhones

MTD's Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Unless they can’t guarantee the iPhones sometime in October, I don’t see why the wouldn’t announce all at one time. Wasn’t the X announced in October and released first week of November? Think XR was announced in September and released in late October. Pretty sure they won’t be announced due to the Event Title, but delays have been announced ahead of time before.

You make a good point. But there have been falls with two events before, when there was a lot to announce, and it looks like delays and product cycles have led to a lot of new hardware ready/close to ready, so two events might be the better alternative to a massive 3.5-hour event where some products get buried by those highlighted in the press.

Reactions: Obi-WannaDraw
Comment

Obi-WannaDraw

Suspended
Sep 9, 2020
South, East and West of You
You make a good point. But there have been falls with two events before, when there was a lot to announce, and it looks like delays and product cycles have led to a lot of new hardware ready/close to ready, so two events might be the better alternative to a massive 3.5-hour event where some products get buried by those highlighted in the press.
True true :) Well, I’m in no hurry to dump money I don’t have. So maybe an extra month will be a good thing.

Reactions: MTD's Mac
Comment

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
giphy.gif

Comment

MTD's Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
True true :) Well, I’m in no hurry to dump money I don’t have. So maybe an extra month will be a good thing.

Seriously, I know most customers don’t buy right on the product cycles (readers of this forum are more likely to be early adopters and buy as soon as best products are announced) but I’m sure Apple has a ton of data on everyone’s shipping habits. Do people spread out big purchases? Splurge all at once during holiday or back-to-school seasons? Buy a new product then gradually add accessories and subscribe to services? I’m sure interest free payments on Apple Card and upgrade programs impact this as well.

Comment

LFC2020

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2020
14” MacBook Pro being announced at next weeks apple event. 😱😱😱😱😍😍😍😍

6.7” iPhone 12 pro max getting 120hz screen. 😱😱😱😱😍😍😍😍

Or is this guy another Jon Prosser. 🤔

interesting video, if true next week apple event is going to be awesome.

Comment

ikunalz

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Could "Time Flies" here actually mean "Time flies between the date a product is announcined and the date it actually becomes available for purchase?"

Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

LFC2020

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2020
Could "Time Flies" here actually mean "Time flies between the date a product is announcined and the date it actually becomes available for purchase?"

Could mean anything, or absolutely nothing.

Comment

HandITOVER

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2020
The iPhone 12 will be a disappointment and the next phase of mid-range Android smartphones will be adopting quick charge 5 capable of charging to 50-100% in a quarter of an hour.

I wish Apple can strive to do more in improving the battery but hardly any progress.

Comment

LFC2020

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2020
The iPhone 12 will be a disappointment and the next phase of mid-range Android smartphones will be adopting quick charge 5 capable of charging to 50-100% in a quarter of an hour.

I wish Apple can strive to do more in improving the battery but hardly any progress.

🤔

Comment

James Godfrey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
There is quite a few things which are pointing to this not being an iPhone event:

1. Apple announcing iPhone delays, iPhone 12 late October, iPhone 12 Pro November.
2. I just can’t see Apple announcing the new iPhone line up this long before they start shipping any of the models, this will have an effect on the current iPhone sales for carriers, looking at 5 weeks for iPhone 12 and at least 7 weeks for iPhone 12 Pro (although this has happened with the X, that was different as there was other models which came soon after the event).
3. Time Flies signifies the Apple Watch (Time) and iPad Air (Flies), with the blue colour signifying the sky and that iPad has been around for 10 years this year.
4. The AR thing with the invite is seen after the initial invite signifying that AR updates are coming after the event quite possibly a subtle hint of the LiDAR in the upcoming iPhone 12.
5. The vast majority of leaks and reports are pointing to new iPads and Apple Watches this month with the iPhones later.

Comment

polyphenol

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
TIME FLIES

Apple Watch ‘Time’
iPad Air ‘Flies’ through the Air

play on words past ten years of iPad has flown by... TIME FLIES...

I 100% think this is going to be an iPad focused event, with a separate event for the iPhone in October... The blue colour just represents the sky (air).
Couldn't it be a reference to Time of Flight - implemented by Lidar?

Or should we go down the anagrams route with lifetimes, or filmiest?

Comment

polyphenol

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Seriously, I know most customers don’t buy right on the product cycles (readers of this forum are more likely to be early adopters and buy as soon as best products are announced) but I’m sure Apple has a ton of data on everyone’s shipping habits. Do people spread out big purchases? Splurge all at once during holiday or back-to-school seasons? Buy a new product then gradually add accessories and subscribe to services? I’m sure interest free payments on Apple Card and upgrade programs impact this as well.
Never before have I even considered buying at release. But my 6s is now getting very poor battery life, storage is chock-full (only 16GB), and I have specific uses planned for enhanced camera and especially video. I know I could get the battery replaced but that is very inconvenient for me - and would feel like throwing money away.

The biggest impact on battery life for me is often when there is virtually no signal -4G, 3G, wifi. If it manages to connect at all, the juice flows out at a rate of knots. Indeed, I think that flows when there is nothing and it keeps trying to find anything to connect to. This is common in my part of the world.

Oft-mentioned features like 5G and Pro-motion screen are towards the totally irrelevant for me.

Comment

LFC2020

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2020
The AR thing with the invite is seen after the initial invite signifying that AR updates are coming after the event quite possibly a subtle hint of the LiDAR in the upcoming iPhone 12.

Hopefully they don’t turn the event into a snooze fest by talking about AR and LiDAR for 1 hour. A lot of people aren’t interested in AR and LiDAR, don’t blame them.

Comment

Obi-WannaDraw

Suspended
Sep 9, 2020
South, East and West of You
Hopefully they don’t turn the event into a snooze fest by talking about AR and LiDAR for 1 hour. A lot of people aren’t interested in AR and LiDAR, don’t blame them.
I almost fell asleep reading your reply on AR and LiDAR :) That’s how interested I am. I agree, I still think if it’s just a Apple Watch and iPad Air announcement, it could been done in an hour.

Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Maybe, since one you have something to count down to, it seems to go quicker. Dragging right now without anything but this non iPhone event date.

Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Yea the only thing I ever used AR for was to put my Egg Inc farm on the table.

Reactions: LFC2020
Comment

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010

Yea eventually you will be able to just stick the cord in and go from dead to 100 instantly, but wireless will still be turtle 7.5W

Comment

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
They just need to go on ahead and bake phone service into the iPad lineup. Use HomePod as a Bluetooth speaker phone option and optimize the current hardware for better speaker phone calls. Not everyone needs screen redundancy and it would fit many people’s needs perfectly. Might even drive more AirPod sales!

Well HomePod is an AirPlay speaker but let’s talk iPad. What’s stopping you from using a cellular iPad with Skype for the occasional call?

Comment

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
Like I said.

But reviews tend to focus on camera systems, display, etc. when comparing, say, iPhone XR and XS, or 11 and 11 Pro. I suspect that if they could afford it, plenty of people who don’t “need” the Pro model would prefer it based on the materials alone.

Apple uses materials to make watch models more luxury focused (steel for Hermes, titanium and ceramic for Edition) but it’s different for iPhone.

Waiting for the steel Macs in that case! :)

Comment

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016

Marketing will want to put the focus on a few products at a time. If you release them all at once some smaller accessories may not get enough Spotlight for Apple’s liking.

Comment

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016

Oh, a fresh take on “Apple is doomed”. Nice, thanks for that, haven’t heard that one in a while.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.