Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In its May 2009 Mobile Metrics report released today, mobile advertising firm AdMob revealed that the iPhone and iPod touch now account for 69% of the U.S. smartphone traffic on its ad network. The figure is up from 59% in April and 50% in March. Worldwide, the iPhone and iPod touch now account for 49% of smartphone ad requests.

124210-smartphone_share_may.png

In a separate report issued earlier this week, AdMob disclosed that 44% of iPhone ad requests through its network on Saturday, June 20th came from devices running iPhone OS 3.0, demonstrating significant adoption of the new operating system.

124210-iphone-os-june-22.jpg

Conversely, only 1% of iPod touch ad requests on that date came from devices running iPhone OS 3.0, signaling the chilling effect of the $9.95 upgrade fee on adoption rates. iPod touch users also have less incentive to upgrade from a feature-based perspective, as many of the high-publicity upgrades found in iPhone OS 3.0 are limited to the iPhone hardware.

124210-touch-os-june-22.jpg

As always, readers should note that this data is from a single advertising source (albeit the world's largest) and tracks ad requests, which is only one measure of wireless phone traffic. In fact, in a separate study of iPhone OS 3.0 adoption rates released this week, one iPhone developer saw up to 80% of its iPhone customers and 50% of its iPod touch customers using iPhone OS 3.0 by this past Monday.

Article Link: Apple's Share of U.S. Smartphone Ad Requests Grows, iPhone OS 3.0 Adoption Mixed

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Umm...
How is admob getting ad requests from devices running 1.x?
Aren't they an in-app advertising company?

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Of the 8% iPhone owners on OS 2.2, I bet 7.9% of those phones are unlocked. :p

I know lots of people on Tmobile who are on 2.2, and just don't care/know about 3.0 and its ability to be unlocked.

itcomesinwaves

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
Trouble getting 3.0 for the iPod touch

I tried to update my girlfriend's iPod touch to 3.0, but I had trouble connecting to the update server. Going to try again once she moves into her new apartment.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
This is a clear sign of adoption and trend. The growth of the iPhone will have a subsequent "halo" on Mac adoption over the next couple of years. :apple:

krizhek

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I tried to update my girlfriend's iPod touch to 3.0, but I had trouble connecting to the update server. Going to try again once she moves into her new apartment.

I spent a good 30 min trying to purcase that update. I would think I bought it to find out that after accepting the new agreement it shot me back to the start. And one time where I think it bugged out and thought it had the update and went back to the sync screen without d/l the update.

(I have the first gen of the iPod Touch.)

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Interesting news. I personally chose not to upgrade my iPod touch 16GB (gen 1) to 3.0 because I had already preordered a new 32GB iPhone 3G S. So it doesn't make sense at all to buy 3.0 for the touch, especially considering that I will be selling it soon.

However, even if I was keeping the touch, the 3.0 upgrade price of $9.95 for it is pretty high, considering that there aren't any major features it brings for the iPod touch (unlike the past two $9.95 upgrades I have paid for -- the Maps, Notes, etc upgrade for 1.x, and the 2.0 App Store, etc upgrade). Granted, there are some nice updates and small changes/additions, but I really think it should be maybe $4.95 for the iPod touch due to the bulk of the 3.0 features applying to the iPhone only. Moreover, why should iPhone users get it for free? They get more features out of it, and it's not like Apple makes more money selling an iPhone vs an iPod touch and therefore needs to make up for it later...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I think people will just take a little longer as they have to pay - don't they also have to go into the iTunes Store too to find it?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Makes me wonder what demographic is doing the most viewing of AdMob-supported sites. 1% adoption sounds implausible, and other sources are reporting much higher (up to 50% adoption for the Touch--which also sounds implausible).

Moreover, why should iPhone users get it for free? They get more features out of it, and it's not like Apple makes more money selling an iPhone vs an iPod touch and therefore needs to make up for it later...

I wouldn't go so far as to say "free" :p Our iPhones cost a LOT more than iPod Touches.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Given that iPhone updates are free I wonder why people are still on the older, sub 2.0 versions? That seems daft to me given all the obvious benefits from 2.0 and 3.0.

I updated my folks iPod Touch to 3.0. Given they charge for a software update I can see why the adoption rate is so low.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Bit above the 1% Jobs wanted eh?

It was 1% of all phones sold. In 2008 Apple sold around 10 million iPhones. Total phone sold: a bit more than 1 billion. So Apple has a little less than 1% market share.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Conversely, only 1% of iPod touch ad requests on that date came from devices running iPhone OS 3.0, signaling the chilling effect of the $9.95 upgrade fee on adoption rates. iPod touch users also have less incentive to upgrade from a feature-based perspective, as many of the high-publicity upgrades found in iPhone OS 3.0 are limited to the iPhone hardware.

Except the ones that app developers are going to be using, such as:
- Core Data (that's a big one)
- GameKit (Peer-to-peer - granted, doesn't support 1G iPhone or 1G iPod touch)
- MapKit
- Hardware accessories
- In-app purchasing
- Push notifications
- Access to iPod library
- MessageUI (in-app email)
- Audio recording
- HTTP streaming video support
- CoreAudio enhancements, new data format support
- New UIKit APIs

If you don't upgrade to 3.0, you're going to lose out on loads of apps. I'm working on a few apps that make use of Core Data, for example, because it's just so darn convenient.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Bit above the 1% Jobs wanted eh?

Market share is not equal to browser share (or ad share). More people use the internet on the iPhone because it is easy to use (obviously).

Given that iPhone updates are free I wonder why people are still on the older, sub 2.0 versions? That seems daft to me given all the obvious benefits from 2.0 and 3.0.

I updated my folks iPod Touch to 3.0. Given they charge for a software update I can see why the adoption rate is so low.

Because some people buy the iPhone, hook it into iTunes, buy a couple songs, and then never sync it again. Although I think AT&T issued a free text announcing 2.x updates (can't remember which ones), some people still don't care or read the sites that describe all the cool new things they can do. Most likely it is older people who don't understand what a firmware update even is and assume it is very difficult to undertake. That or they just don't care because, well, it still beats the hell out of their old RAZR.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Because some people buy the iPhone, hook it into iTunes, buy a couple songs, and then never sync it again. Although I think AT&T issued a free text announcing 2.x updates (can't remember which ones), some people still don't care or read the sites that describe all the cool new things they can do. Most likely it is older people who don't understand what a firmware update even is and assume it is very difficult to undertake. That or they just don't care because, well, it still beats the hell out of their old RAZR.

I don't even think it's older people. I have friends with iPhones that never sync them to iTunes. One was complaining to me about Safari crashing on her iPhone. I asked if she updated her firmware, and got a blank stare.

It's the same reason people don't do their operating system updates, they just don't care.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
It was 1% of all phones sold. In 2008 Apple sold around 10 million iPhones. Total phone sold: a bit more than 1 billion. So Apple has a little less than 1% market share.

Apple sold more than 10 million iPhones in 2008 - they sold 10 million iPhones by October...

They must have sold at least 12 - 13 million which is more than 1% of the market.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008

Your point still stands, but your numbers are off. 13.7 million iPhones were sold in 2008. Total phones sold was about 1.1 billion, so Apple had a little more than 1%.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.

Apple has sold 40 million iPhones and iPod touches combined since launch in June 2007 (make that 41 million after last weekend).

WikiPedia states "The International Telecommunication Union estimated that mobile cellular subscriptions worldwide would reach approximately 4.1 billion by the end of 2008."

Now I'm not exactly sure if subscriptions and phones are equivalent in any way, but with those numbers, yes, Apple has about 1% worldwide market share. Good work.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Wow, I can't believe how much of the market the Iphone has. I can't think many people won't upgrade to 3.0. I bet in the next month it's almost everyone on 3.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.