Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
That's no surprise, though, since Fake ID is using 2010 Kinect technology that Microsoft dumped for a better inhouse solution.

Source? Evidence? Nope, didn't think so.

You really think Apple would buy a company and use tech from 2010 seven years later without updating it? Dream on.

kkk123kkk123kkk

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
False. Windows Hello passes evil twin test and is more resilient against masks unlike Fake ID. That's no surprise, though, since Fake ID is using 2010 Kinect technology that Microsoft dumped for a better inhouse solution.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The technology Kinect 2 use is rubbish for facial recognition. Even Microsoft don't support it for their Windows Hello (which is mostly pair with Intel RealSense). They switch Kinect 2 to a well known technology called "Time of flight". Basically it measure difference in time of travel of light to determinate difference in depth. It is only good for motion tracking and has abysmal resolution for 3d mapping. For example the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s or 299,792,458,000 mm/s if we need to distinguish difference in depth of 1.5mm the device need to be able to detect deference in 1.5/299792458000 = 5x10^-12 seconds or 5 picoseconds. A 3Ghz processor has a clock cycle of 300 picoseconds, so no processor can physically process in such timescale and detail. A 300 picoseconds difference in speed of light translate to resolution of 45mm or 4.5cm. It probable can tell the difference between your cheek and nose but not much else. iPhone X actually do use Time of Flight.... for its proximity sensor.

Last edited:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
False. Windows Hello passes evil twin test and is more resilient against masks unlike Fake ID. That's no surprise, though, since Fake ID is using 2010 Kinect technology that Microsoft dumped for a better inhouse solution.

The fact you call it Fake ID makes me wonder why I'm responding...

However, this technology was developed in mid-2013, and is miniaturized in a way that Kinect could never have been. Microsoft dumped the company for a product that completely failed...because the company's goals were not to create another big Kinect but to miniaturize and use for something like, oh I don't know, authentication.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
We already know that facial recognition is less effective on young children.

On older children and above, Windows Hello has a much higher success rate than Fake ID that has close to 100% failure rate on all twins from adult twins to twin children and even non-identical siblings.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/lif...l/news-story/4cdee04cc466e4f673c8642f5cb98d22

You said Hello passes the evil twin test, you provided no context for age, I proved otherwise. We could trade YouTube videos all day, there are other foreign language videos of adult twins spoofing hello, but it neither makes or breaks the case.

On that case, Are there any sources for your precentages? Or is it just your opinion based upon watching a few YouTube videos? On that, what precentage of the population will be impacted by the twin test?

For the record, I am not saying that FaceID is perfect, never did. I just took issue to your first video which as been widely criticized, and discussed on various reputable security sites for it not really showing much of anything.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Doesn’t matter when the software still lags and is full of bugs. When did we here on MacRumors start caring about numbers? We really shouldn’t because it’s the software that really matters, that’s what we have to put up with on a day to day basis and what most of the complaints have been about on these supposed “fastest chips in a phone ever!”. The new iPhones don’t really feel that fast at all and that’s because the software has become sh** and doesn’t have the same fit and finish quality standards that it once had before 2013.

Yea...not really. Sorry. Nostalgia makes you forget sometimes.

I’ll never forget how unreliable my iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 2.0 actually was. Bricked more than once, at very inconvenient times. Apps constantly re-arranging themselves after being updated. Major technical bugs that caused random resets or what have you.

Yet minor bugs like a autocorrect glitch in 11.1 somehow are more severe.

It really is true that nostalgia warps your memory. The “good old days” always seem better in hindsight than they actually were. Do yourself a favor and find an old iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 2 or 3, and really try telling yourself that it was less laggy or less buggy. It’s just not true for those of us that actually remember the early days of iPhone and iPad. The difference is, it was so new at the time and so refreshingly delightful, that we willfully overlooked these things. Now that iOS has become a normal part of life, it’s not nearly as novel, therefore we are less forgiving

Reactions: Mizhou

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I was told by someone on Engadget the other day that the A-Series of chips aren't innovative.

All I could do was laugh in his face.

These people are so sad. If one can't see the innovation in the A series caps they either they don't understand tech or are being willfully ignorant.

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
He's a Palestinian Arab citizen of Israel, true. Most Palestinians living under Israeli control, however, are not citizens and cannot vote for the government that controls (to put it mildely) their lives.

You don't know what you're talking about. Besides, the moderators are likely to delete these posts.
Saudi Arabians and Qataris can’t vote either. I‎t is par for the course in that region.
[doublepost=1510692336][/doublepost]
Israeli here. I read the Hebrew article and it still isn't really clear what he means (the translation is fine) . what I think he means is that consumers should be happy that they invented a method of securing your device by making it only yours. for example with Touch ID, someone can take your phone aside (without your attention) and copy your fingerprint or someone next to u can see you typing your passcode etc. but with Face ID no one can really open your phone unless u intend to, by giving it your full attention and recognition..

again, it isn't very clear what he means, even in hebrew.
Y’all need to pass gay marriage.

Reactions: skabichevsky

ramallite

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Greensboro
"Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. "

can someone explain why is this article flag? this is look like a tech interview or not?

Because Srouji is a Palestinian citizen of Israel, which immediately conjured up a discussion of politics, human rights in Israel (or lack thereof), etc. etc.

Vasilioskn

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
New York
Got the X today and it’s very cool but not sure why everyone can unlock my phone by just swiping up .... I have Face ID registered

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I see they included that this is a political post, these days every article should just automatically have this. Can you can't go down the street to buy a burger without getting political anymore.

Reactions: Canyonero

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I see they included that this is a political post, these days every article should just automatically have this. Can you can't go down the street to buy a burger without getting political anymore.

Because any mention of "Israel" immediately triggers a lengthy and pointless back-and-forth between pro- and anti-Israel posters.. Just like it did this time.

It would be nice to just stick to discussing this clearly brilliant engineer and the technology he brought to Apple, but.. who are we kidding - let's have a political bickering fest instead.

Reactions: Canyonero

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008

Sad but true.
However, I don't think the problem is the "getting political" part. That used to happen in the past.
Nowadays though everybody thinks they know all the answers and gets butthurt immediately if even one person disagrees. Too many bubbles and echo chambers.
Having said that, the middle east has always been a very special beast.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We already know that facial recognition is less effective on young children.

On older children and above, Windows Hello has a much higher success rate than Fake ID that has close to 100% failure rate on all twins from adult twins to twin children and even non-identical siblings.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/lif...l/news-story/4cdee04cc466e4f673c8642f5cb98d22

To coin an old movie I just watched ...
“I and I is everywhere!”

Marked for Death. Using a very old Jamaican proverb/saying.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
All within the hands of the Palestinians to change. Elect good leaders, make peace and renounce violence, and participate in the world and regional economy instead of clinging to a lost cause. Israel does a large amount of trade with Egypt and Jordan (to say nothing of discrete but robust business ties with Gulf nations) and they’d be happy to do it with Palestinians too. I’d gladly use an A-series processor designed in Ramallah.

Sure. As soon as Israel ends its occupation of Palestine and gives back the colonized territories and accept that palestinians have their independant state, lots of great things will happen in that region.
And contrary to what someone said earlier, plenty of israelians actually support BDS and want Israel to end the occupation. It certainly will not happen with the present Israeli government ( who celebrated the election of Trump by saying “now the idea of a palestinian state is buried forever” ), but hopefully will happen with the next government .

Last edited:

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Sure. As soon as Israel ends its occupation of Palestine and gives back the colonized territories and accept that palestinians have their independant state, lots of great things will happen in that region.
And contrary to what someone said earlier, plenty of israelians actually support BDS and want Israel to end the occupation. It certainly will not happen with the present Israeli government ( who celebrated the election of Trump by saying “now the idea of a palestinian state is buried forever” ), but hopefully will happen with the next government .

Can you and DTphonehome kindly take this discussion private?

The article is about the head of Apple's silicon division, who just happened to be an Israeli. No one cares about your political views about Israel, they don't belong here.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Yet another reason I don't use iPhones...
[doublepost=1510832699][/doublepost]
Can you and DTphonehome kindly take this discussion private?

The article is about the head of Apple's silicon division, who just happened to be an Israeli. No one cares about your political views about Israel, they don't belong here.
Why don't you go somewhere else where dictate where you can what people should talk about? No one cares what you think we should talk about.
[doublepost=1510832925][/doublepost]
Chew on that, BDS folk. Willing to bet a large percentage of them are using Apple gear (and the rest must be using Intel or other Israel-designed tech).

Also, Sruji is Arab and a graduate of Technion Institute. So much for apartheid.

That's true. While Israel's contribution can remain largely hidden it doesn't cause a problem. But Intel, Apple and others would hardly advertise it broadly. BDS is coming along nicely and achieving exactly what it's meaning to achieve, with more to come.
[doublepost=1510833038][/doublepost]

LOL, "the idea of a palestinian state is buried" for about 4 years, and maybe not even that. He's already lame duck, soon to become lame felon.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Did you miss the part where it requires them to do a 5 minute detailed face scan of the phone's owner using a handheld scanner, and even then it still might not work? If you're going to let someone hand scan your face for 5 minutes and then let them steal your phone, you might as well give them the pin code.

That's the reason I have mentioned that celebrities or famous people need to worry (their faces could be easily scanned for many minutes infront of a camera scanner)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.