Apple's Special Version of iTunes That Still Has an App Store Currently Incompatible With macOS Mojave

bogdanw

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks bogdanw.
But I have some problems when i installed itunes.pkg,there are no error and no warning and not success.
- Mac OS 10.14.4
- SIP is disable
Can you help me? Or need more other info?
You can try to: save /Applications/iTunes.app to another location, use AppDelete to delete /Applications/iTunes.app, install itunes.pkg created with the script.
I have just updated to 10.14.5 and iTunes 12.6.5.3 is working fine from ~/Applications

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
I guess this "special edition" would be like 'do it at your own risk" type behavior..?? It may "seem" like Apple wants businesses to have access to this, but i doubt it... with intention to break it.

Or they just made a mistake.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
I guess this "special edition" would be like 'do it at your own risk" type behavior..?? It may "seem" like Apple wants businesses to have access to this, but i doubt it... with intention to break it.

Or they just made a mistake.
Yeah, a mistake made for over 3 minor version updates. I doubt it.
Business customers are those guys who cares stability and established workflow over fancy new features and beta testing.
I do hope apple releases a version of iTunes in macOS 10.15 as a replacement of 12.6.5. I simply cannot lose the access of managing apps and ringtones and such, as well as the ability to sync stuff bought from multiple accounts.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
You can try to: save /Applications/iTunes.app to another location, use AppDelete to delete /Applications/iTunes.app, install itunes.pkg created with the script.
I have just updated to 10.14.5 and iTunes 12.6.5.3 is working fine from ~/Applications
Help pls,

(1) How critical is ""iPodUpdater.framework" from the 12.6.4 iTunes framework folder" from the older instructions? I don't see it mentioned in the latest series of instructions, but the earlier instructions were also from before we were using iTunes 12.6.5.3.

(2) Where is this file and folder if I need it? Even with "Library" folder unhidden, it still DOESN'T SHOW UP IN A FILE SEARCH anywhere on the iMac or TimeMachine backup.

We planned to leave the iMac on High Sierra for a while, with iTunes 12.6.5.3, but things went bad. It's a long story, but the only way I could get our iMac running again was with Mac OS X Mojave. TL;DR below.

First, her iMac password keychain got corrupted, although it was fine on her iPhone and iPad, and I could not sync her iMac to the iCloud PASSWORD keychain. When turning on keychain back on in iCloud settings it asked for her iCloud on the iMac, and then it stalled for an hour after entering the password.

I rebooted and tried again, no love. I rebooted and held CMD-R and reinstalled High Sierra, and THEN I was able to get the keychain to sync back after I was done. I stayed up till 5:30AM to complete this, and went to bed after the sun was up, with a working computer.

Later that day I had to rerun the latest 2019-003 security update, Safari 12.1.1. update, and iTunes Device Support update in App Store on High Sierra, but not sure why it wasn't on the version of High Sierra I'd just installed in recovery mode. After the update it wanted to reboot but my wife's iMac crashed and hung on the reboot after the update.

When I forced it to shut down, rebooted, and logged in, it would show that the updates had downloaded and there was a reboot button in the app store to finalize the updates. Every time I clicked the reboot button it would try to reboot and hang on a black screen with the backlight on, and not reboot.

After a few tries, having to force shutdown with the power button (running disk first aid each time) it would no longer take my wife's login password. I exited the log in screen to try again, and saw that her user account was now gone from the login screen. It not only deleted her user account, but I could still not shut down without pressing and holding the power button.

I then tried to repeat the task of reinstalling High Sierra from booting with CMD-R, which worked the day before, but it would hang on the beginning of the install after I selected the drive to install onto, regardless of what drive I'd select (internal or external).

Rebooting or shutting down the iMac would always hang, and I'd have to force shut down with the power button every time after the failed updates. Her account was the primary account where we would run iTunes to sync our iDevices, but High Sierra was trashed and her account was gone. I had to boot up and log into an empty unused administrator account we have on there in case of emergency to work on things.

After a second all nighter, I finally got her account back after I broke down and installed Mojave 10.14.5 from within the spare administrator account, and now I want to install iTunes 12.6.5.3 again.

Her login account was the only account from which we typically would run iTunes, and I'd found her user home folder still on the hard drive but locked. When I got the computer fixed and on Mojave, I added her user account back, and it allowed me to incorporate her old user directory and files/settings. Now everything has been fine for a day.

I have not launched iTunes yet. I do have a several backups of all the iTunes Library and genius files from 12.6.5.3 on High Sierra, and I have 2 time machine backups from before Mojave if I need to go there for files.

But since her user account was deleted, and was not recovered until after the iMac was updated to Mojave, I suspect her personal files were untouched, especially since the upgrade was done from the blank administrator account while her account was AWOL.

bogdanw

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
I'm trying to clarify the instructions to be 100% sure of the process before I start. So, I still don't know if I need that file.
The first script doesn't add or remove anything from the iTunes installation package. It just removes the limits on the system it can be installed. The second script does the same, it replaces 12.6.5 with 12.9.4 in Contents/Info.plist from the selected iTunes.app.

Instructions for getting iTunes 12.6.5.3 to work on MacOS Catalina 10.15 https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/

B4U

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
My 2009 iMac just died a couple of weeks ago where I was holding onto it like dear life because of the incompatibility issues of iTunes 12.6.5 and Mojave (in addition to Office 2011...)
Finally had to get a new iMac because the old one simply died and you have saved my life because of your hard work! :)
Apple needs to hire someone such as yourself to fix their crap!
The only catch to this fix is that I have to disable SIP in order to even sync/backup my iPhone X. (Otherwise, it throws an error and would not backup.)
Guess I can live with that.

Red John

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
Can anyone please confirm that if the iTunes 12.6.5 works with Mojave 10.14.6?
I am currently on Sierra (10.12.6) and planning to upgrade to Mojave.
Thank you.

Mitja

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2019
Also, is anyone able to use iTunes 12.6.5 on Mojave 10.14.4 (or 10.14.5 or 10.14.6) to fully sync their iPhone or iPad, including their photos?

Regular Sync of all content (from apps to music to photos) used to work up until Mojave 10.14.3, but ...syncing photos doesn't seem to work anymore for me. Here's what shows up in iTunes 12.6.5.3 (properly patched as from instructions at #194) when trying to choose what photos to sync with the iPhone:
iTunes-Sync-Photos.jpg

Red John

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
If you follow the instructions exactly, then yes, iTunes 12.6.5 still works on 10.14.6
Thanks.

Also, is anyone able to use iTunes 12.6.5 on Mojave 10.14.4 (or 10.14.5 or 10.14.6) to fully sync their iPhone or iPad, including their photos?

Regular Sync of all content (from apps to music to photos) used to work up until Mojave 10.14.3, but ...syncing photos doesn't seem to work anymore for me. Here's what shows up in iTunes 12.6.5.3 (properly patched as from instructions at #194) when trying to choose what photos to sync with the iPhone:
View attachment 852159
Also, this!
Seems like sync is messed with many people. I think I should hold updating to Mojave for now.

On a side note, sometimes I update apps through iTunes/iMazing. I can no longer update those apps from the App Store on the iDevice itself. I have to update them manually every time there is an update. Yesterday, when I had to change my iPhone, after restore, those apps didn't even download from the App Store. I had to install them by connecting to the computer.

Anyone else facing similar issues? And any solution for this would be much appreciated.

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

bogdanw

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
New method, tested on a new 10.14.6 virtual machine.
1. SIP must be disabled (reboot to recovery - from Terminal csrutil disable and reboot)
2. Backup iTunes 12.9.5
Code:
do shell script "productbuild --component /Applications/iTunes.app /Applications ~/Desktop/iTunes12.9.5.pkg"
3. The new script asks for iTunes 12.6.5.3 dmg, mounts the image, extracts iTunes.app, modifies
Info.plist and version.plist to 13.6.5 and creates a package that can be installed. The package is saved on desktop and contains only the iTunes.app. When installed, it overwrites the iTunes.app in /Applications.
Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/iTunes/Install\\ iTunes.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/iTunes/"
do shell script "cd ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg;" & "cat Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i;" & "cd ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg/Applications;" & "cp -r iTunes.app ~/tmp;"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.6.5.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 'iTunes 13.6.5.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist"
do shell script "productbuild --component ~/tmp/iTunes.app /Applications ~/Desktop/iTunes13.6.5.pkg"
set question to display dialog "iTunes13.6.5.pkg saved on Desktop. Delete temporary ~/tmp folder?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
set answer to button returned of question
if answer is equal to "Yes" then
    do shell script "rm -R ~/tmp"
    display dialog "~/tmp was deleted" buttons {"Ok"}
    return
end if
Be patient, the script takes a while.

Red John

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
1. SIP must be disabled (reboot to recovery - from Terminal csrutil disable and reboot)
2. Backup iTunes 12.9.5
Code:
do shell script "productbuild --component /Applications/iTunes.app /Applications ~/Desktop/iTunes12.9.5.pkg"
3. The new script asks for iTunes 12.6.5.3 dmg, mounts the image, extracts iTunes.app, modifies
Info.plist and version.plist to 13.6.5 and creates a package that can be installed. The package is saved on desktop and contains only the iTunes.app. When installed, it overwrites the iTunes.app in /Applications.
Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "cd ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg;" & "cat Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i;" & "cd ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg/Applications;" & "cp -r iTunes.app ~/tmp;"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.6.5.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 'iTunes 13.6.5.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.6.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/version.plist"
do shell script "productbuild --component ~/tmp/iTunes.app /Applications ~/Desktop/iTunes13.6.5.pkg"
set question to display dialog "iTunes13.6.5.pkg saved on Desktop. Delete temporary ~/tmp folder?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    return
end if
Great.. Thanks for that.

Can you please verify if it detects past iDevice backups and syncs successfully?

Reactions: SunyItaly

toxdoc

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
2. Backup iTunes 12.9.5
Code:
Code:
    return
end if
Worked like a charm. All I had to do was drag one of the Previous iTunes Libraries and replace the iTunes Library.itl file with it.

Red John

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
Worked like a charm. All I had to do was drag one of the Previous iTunes Libraries and replace the iTunes Library.itl file with it.
Can you verify if it detects past iDevice backups and whether backup/restore works successfully?

toxdoc

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Can you verify if it detects past iDevice backups and whether backup/restore works successfully?
I picked right up where I left off. In fact, I migrated to a new computer, then installed iTunes 12.6.5.3 on Mojave 10.14.6 and I was immediately to sync with my iPhone on the new computer. I haven't tried a restore because I have no need to do so.

Reactions: Red John

Red John

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
I picked right up where I left off. In fact, I migrated to a new computer, then installed iTunes 12.6.5.3 on Mojave 10.14.6 and I was immediately to sync with my iPhone on the new computer. I haven't tried a restore because I have no need to do so.
Thanks. That helps.
I think I should update to Mojave now.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
On a side note, sometimes I update apps through iTunes/iMazing. I can no longer update those apps from the App Store on the iDevice itself. I have to update them manually every time there is an update. Yesterday, when I had to change my iPhone, after restore, those apps didn't even download from the App Store. I had to install them by connecting to the computer.

Anyone else facing similar issues? And any solution for this would be much appreciated.
I think I'm facing the same situation using High Sierra. I can download apps to iTunes, but it doesn't sync them to my iPhone. I have to download from iPhone directly.

hal50

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019

View attachment 852159
Same happened to me. Any solution?

bogdanw

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
It's just not worth it anymore. I'm moving to iMazing and I'm going to download all my installed apps to the computer, and then figure out a way to archive old versions of an app so when it's updated then I still have the older version. Time Machine can do that, but sometimes after 6-12 months of incremental backups on a NAS then TimeMachine makes me start over with a fresh backup, then I'd have to get a new drive to backup the old backup, before wiping the TimeCapsule.