Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's supply chain is currently aiming to produce components for up to 75 million iPhones in the second half of this year, roughly the same as in the same time period last year, according to Bloomberg. The production targets suggest Apple expects iPhone demand to stabilize this year after recent dips in unit sales largely offset by increases in average prices.

2019iphonelineup.jpg
2019 iPhone dummy units
Jeff Pu at GF Securities estimates that shipments of newly released iPhones will rise to 74 million in the second half, up about 7% from his estimate of 69 million last year, while TF International analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast that Apple would sell 75 million to 80 million new iPhones in the second half of 2018. This year's volumes may signal stabilization after a year of uncertainty, though that's a far cry from the double-digit growth numbers of years past.
As Bloomberg notes, the fact that suppliers are planning for production of 75 million units doesn't mean Apple will sell that many, but suppliers are also reportedly capable of pushing output to 80 million units if demand calls for it. As always, Apple will assess demand following the launch of the new iPhones and adjust production accordingly.

Apple has also stopped publicly reporting unit sales of iPhones and other products in its quarterly earnings releases, making it more difficult for analysts and others to track those numbers over time and requiring them to calculate unit sales based on reported revenue numbers and estimated average prices.

We're expecting this year's new iPhones to look very similar to the current lineup, with three new models serving as successors to the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR at the same display sizes. The most obvious external difference will be the rear camera, which will be housed in a square bump and see the iPhone XS and XS Max successors bump up to three lenses from the current two while the iPhone XR successor moves from one lens to two.

For more details on what we expect with the next iPhones in terms of design and capabilities, check out our recent hands-on video with dummy units and our dedicated 2019 iPhone roundup.

Article Link: Apple's Suppliers Aiming to Produce 75 Million New iPhones in Second Half of 2019

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
Does "new iPhone's" include the older ones that they still make and sell too? If so, then that number seems very plausible. If it's just for the new iPhone's, that's gonna be a huge stretch.

I myself am looking to upgrade my 7 Plus. Battery life is kind of lousy these days, even after a battery replacement in December. My phone still looks excellent, so I know it'll still bring in some decent money. I'd then sell this year's iPhone next year if 5G actually happens, and it's expanded far enough yet.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I find it amazing that Apple can sell that many every year, especially with how good/reliable/fast our devices are getting. The 5G era is really going to change things. Enough bandwidth for everything, twice over.

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
They are selling more iPhone 8s than XS or XS Max, that shows how much people care about their "innovations".
For 90% of the buyers they are simply buying an iPhone. For the most reasonable price they can find.
Of course, it does probably matter that the new models are getting uglier every year ;)

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
Once upon a time (Original iPhone - iPhone 4s) it was always first day buy. These days it’s more when I need to replace.

Point being, for many so long it can do the basics it will suffice. Price also being an important factor.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The market is so saturated and I am sure there is a surplus stock of existing models that haven’t been sold going into the new production. With 5G version coming next year, unless your phone is too old, lost, broken, I hardly see any reason to upgrade unless you are YouTuber, OCD about collecting all versions of the iPhone to add to your collection.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Wow, the first 15 posts here are all negative one liners about the new iPhone.

So eager to post, but all of them negative?

Anyways - these production rumours probably indicate that Apple is going to sell a lot of new iPhones again - that's what I have to say about it :)

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
If prices stay the same as last year or go up this will be the first iPhone ever that I won’t be purchasing.

Price has to come down to a normal level. The fact the iPhone price is the same as a laptop is ridiculous.

Kinda of hope sales plummet drastically to show Tim Cook we aren’t going to be mugs anymore.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Anyways - these production rumours probably indicate that Apple is going to sell a lot of new iPhones again - that's what I have to say about it :)

Majority of comments are so negative on this forum. It’s refreshing to see a positive post here and there.

I hope they sell a boatload of phones. I’ll be buying whatever the XS Max successor is.

imac ios x

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
If the prices remain the same they wont sell much in europe. I mean 899 euro for xr and 1199 and 1299 for xs and max models. Thats freaking 1500$ for the base models....and since unlimited 4g isnt a thing here almost nobody gets base model but add another 250$ to go from 64 to 256gb. In my family we all used to have iphones. But 50% left to android cause of these insane prices. First we thought it was tax. But the 512gh s10+ ceramic edition is 799 euro, while the normal s10+ which is already 128gb only cost 649 euro. How can apple justify these prices. Its not like an iphone is twice as good. Its also not like anyone would pay 700$ extra just to get ios on a device
[doublepost=1564040619][/doublepost]

Thats what they thought last year. Then Tim Cook blamed people used their phones longer. Next thing he does he drop ios support for 2 gen of iphones. So ye chances are this year they sell more because of that. But I dont belive too many people will fall for that. Unless you live in the us. Where iphones are relativly as expensive as their expensive other brand counterpart. But apple also has asia and europe where iphone sales are dropping the hardest cause of the prices. An iphone cost 1.6x as much here as in the us. While samsung, oneplus etc cost the same as at you. My bet is apple will lose even more marketshare in europe and asia because of it

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
If the prices remain the same they wont sell much in europe. I mean 899 euro for xr and 1199 and 1299 for xs and max models. Thats freaking 1500$ for the base models....and since unlimited 4g isnt a thing here almost nobody gets base model but add another 250$ to go from 64 to 256gb. In my family we all used to have iphones. But 50% left to android cause of these insane prices. First we thought it was tax. But the 512gh s10+ ceramic edition is 799 euro, while the normal s10+ which is already 128gb only cost 649 euro. How can apple justify these prices. Its not like an iphone is twice as good. Its also not like anyone would pay 700$ extra just to get ios on a device
[doublepost=1564040619][/doublepost]

Thats what they thought last year. Then Tim Cook blamed people used their phones longer. Next thing he does he drop ios support for 2 gen of iphones. So ye chances are this year they sell more because of that. But I dont belive too many people will fall for that. Unless you live in the us. Where iphones are relativly as expensive as their expensive other brand counterpart. But apple also has asia and europe where iphone sales are dropping the hardest cause of the prices. An iphone cost 1.6x as much here as in the us. While samsung, oneplus etc cost the same as at you. My bet is apple will lose even more marketshare in europe and asia because of it

That’s not entirely true ... I’m from Europe myself and these are not the authentic prices. You’re comparing direct supplier prices vs indirect distribution channel. The S10+ with 128GB is 1000€!! at the official Samsung store vs 1150 for the iPhone XS in the Apple store. At the same time, the S10+ costs 650 vs 950 for the iPhone XS through third party distributors. So the price cut for third party distributors is larger in case of Android devices, for whatever reasons (maybe direct imports from other regions...). Officially though, Samsungs pricing policy is roughly consistent with Apples

visusomanchi

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
Iphone lost the craze it used to have. I don't think people will be willing to upgrade till 5G enabled iPhones are available in the market.

Reactions: AvisDeene

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Total crap. Apple will never sell more than about 40M iPhones per quarter in this saturated smartphone market and with such outrageous iPhone prices. The only consumers buying smartphones in quantity will be in India and Africa but they'll be paying around $100 to $200 which leaves the iPhone out in the cold. Apple could have killed the competition but chose high profits instead of growing a bit more market share percentage. Apple has pretty much surrendered the iPhone business to Android smartphone manufacturers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.