Apple's Tim Cook and More Than 100 CEOs Urge Congress to Protect Dreamers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

Maybe he could use his connections with the Chinese government to move the Dreamers there? He would also be able to set them up with jobs building iPhones. Win-win!

2. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

But that is not the law. A President and Congress were democratically elected to end this madness.

To use one of President Obama's favorite lines "You're on the wrong side of history" (funny how the "sides" of history change depending on who is in power....maybe liberals will stop using that line now that they are on the other side).

Their parents broke the law. They knowingly took the risk of endangering themselves and their families by coming here illegally. They lost the gamble. Here are the consequences.

Look, if the Democrats give Trump his wall and end chain migration, the Dreamers will stay.

If you're a lib and unwilling to compromise to get what is needed to keep the dreamers here, you're just as much to blame as the parents that brought them here.

3. 827538 macrumors 65816

No but my fiance and future kid is. So I do actually have a say in this as someone who is paying thousands of dollars in legal fees, going through the proper legal channels and about to pay tens of thousands in taxes.
    It actually makes me quite angry that people like myself - educated, willing to integrate, law abiding are expected to jump through so many hoops yet people who run across the border illegally just get a free pass. That's not OK.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2018 ---
    I'm actually a Brit marrying an American.

The rich cause damage yes, but saying the immigrants don't is sheer lies or gross ignorance. Want me to bring up the level of crime committed by illegal immigrants? Or how about the huge stresses they place on public services and schools. Do you want me to show you the things that are happening in Europe thanks to this insane migrant wave?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2018 ---
    I did not see any article about this on Macrumours or Arstechnica, so I missed it. Thanks for pointing this out.

I stand by my point that illegal immigration causes large amounts of damage to a country. Europe is under severe stress from this currently.

4. rafark, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Just because you're going the legal route doesn't make you "educated and willing to integrate", where did get from ilegals are uneducated and not willing to integrate? Undocumented inmigrants in America are more tan willing to integrate (and most do). Ilegal migrants in Europe are very different from those in America. Also, you're no american, but an inmigrant as well, you've not yet payed a cent in taxes and are already demanding others based on your beilefs? Tha's not what i'd call a good integration.

5. RuffyYoshi macrumors regular

RuffyYoshi

Im American at heart~

6. 827538 macrumors 65816

Most illegal immigrants are not well educated. I was watching a VICE documentary about illegal immigration up through South America, half those people couldn't even write. Most legal immigrants are educated with skills to offer. Most illegal immigrants barely have a highschool education. We're moving into an era of high automation, the Western World needs educated, skilled individuals, not more 3rd world peasants, it's the simple truth of it.
    Depends how you define paying taxes? Income taxes, no, not yet. But my fiance does and I have paid hundreds in sales tax, I've also sent tens of thousands of dollars over so she could buy a car, plus I be transfering a lot more when I move. I'm easily a net contributor.

Just because you're going the legal route doesn't make you "educated and willing to integrate" - A MSc in EEE, if that's not educated then what is? PhD level? I speak the language, abide by the law, go to Church with her, even signed up for a half marathon. If you didn't hear my accent you would guess I was local.

7. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Sorry, I stopped reading here. "Educated" people use official sources, not a teenagers blog. Ther UN tells a highly different story, but we'll get to no port here so I'm out.

Ps: America already has 300m+ educated people. If we are going to be strict, then no other regular inmigrant is needed unless the ones with a O-1 visa ("Extraordinary Ability").

8. 827538 macrumors 65816

Yes all those Mexicans who flooded across the border over the decades with their degrees and vocations...

9. imom macrumors regular

imom

These CEOs are an absolute disgrace, shamelessly aiding and abetting criminals like that. Can't wait to see the subsequent train crash.

10. Wishbrah macrumors regular

False. Most don't pay taxes, most receive welfare and other benefits like free trips to the emergency room (one of the most expensive services available to citizens in the USA). Some illegal immigrants even get free education -- as an illegal immigrant kid, you can claim your illegal immigrant parents make zero salary and get full federal assistance. This can't be traced because the illegal immigrant parents don't have social security numbers.

There are multiple ways they are abusing the system, and it's laughable that you defend them.

11. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

If the United States Government passed a law, today, saying you needed to be proficient in reading and writing English before you can immigrate to this country, that sounds like a reasonable requirement.

I find it strange that someone would argue America is not allowed to have requirements for entry, at least that is the point your argument is heading.

Bottom line is that a country should be able to define who is allowed in. I believe most other countries do that in some form or another, but America apparently isn't. And if you argue otherwise you are "racist!" or "literally Hitler!"

12. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

How are they paying taxes? They do not have an SSN, unless they have committed identity theft. So they are not paying State or Federal Tax. Groceries in many areas are not taxable unless it is prepared food. So lets give you the "rent" thing. Except we spend more to support illegal aliens then they contribute, so that nullifies the rent and then some.

Edit: BTW...Tim....stop getting involved in politics. This and your crappy iPhone 8 Bluetooth are going to push me into the hands of another.

13. Carnegie macrumors 6502

There are a number of ways for them to pay income taxes. Many, of course, use someone else's SSN as you suggest or use a made up SSN. Some have their own (no longer valid) SSNs because they are Visa (with work authorization) overstays.

They can also file using an ITIN. Those that use an ITIN for filing purposes might have given a fraudulent SSN to their employer. Or they might have been treated as contract labor or they might be self-employed. But there are millions of returns filed each which use ITINs rather than, or in addition to, SSNs.

14. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I think most employers actually know. When I was shopping for a sprinkler system, I asked every person if they were using only legal labor, and only one was able to say yes. Lucky for me, they were cheap enough and did a great job. And I supported legal US citizens and an ethical company :).

15. Carnegie macrumors 6502

Sure. I would guess that the majority of people who employ illegal aliens either know that they're illegal aliens or suspect that they are and don't want to know for sure. Nonetheless, a lot of illegal aliens are employed. And it's possible to work, for money, without being employed (i.e. being what's legally considered an employee).

The point is, even if someone isn't authorized to be employed, the IRS wants them to pay the taxes they (still legally) owe on any wages or other income they've made. So the IRS does things to make it possible (or easier) for them to pay those taxes, to include issuing ITINs. That doesn't mean that they all do; but many do.