Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
look at the demographics of many tech companies. 50-90% international employees on green cards or dreamers or other methods of residency for work. It isn’t necessarily inaccurate to say quality dropped over the last decade, as did the increase in this demographic at work. But to link cause is impossible - can only cite correlation.

Edit: changed “yeh” autocorrect to tech.

Well rockets, Apollo program and nuclear bomb did quite well with mostly immigrant working on it, am I right?
So yeah let's not draw conclusion of races competency in a company managed mostly by Americans. Just saying...

Reactions: e-coli

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
What are you saying, that we should repeat history?

I'd say it's better to learn and not repeat mistakes.

I hear you on that because it is simply not feasible to have open border. But I don't agree with some of the holier-than-thou and insulting attitude toward immigrants. (I don't mean you, just in general).

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Well rockets, Apollo program and nuclear bomb did quite well with mostly immigrant working on it, am I right?
So yeah let's not draw conclusion of races competency in a company managed mostly by Americans. Just saying...
I didn’t. I even stated that in my post. Just saying....

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Of course they support them - thats because they dont actually have to "support" them aka free stuff since Tim and the rich posse arent affected by draconian taxes that have to pay for these people and their free ride.

I don't understand why you'd think you have the right to keep the money in your pocket or why it wouldn't be entirely desirable to give "these people" a free ride, or why wouldn't they be entitled to a "free ride".

I can think of quite a few reasons why it would be both morally right and practically useful to transfer all of your possessions to "these people".

You're also missing the bigger point, which is: big corporations like Apple don't like barriers to immigration in principle.
Why?
Because it's bad for business, in that it cuts off their supply of equally talented but cheaper labor from India or Brazil's top schools.

Are you kidding? Dreamers have parents who came here, prepare yourself, illegally.

Yeah, well, I think quite a lot of Americans have ancestors who came to America illegally.
And then there are those whose ancestors invaded America.
And then there are those whose ancestors came to America in chains.

Let's not discount those who came, uh, "legally" but with a price on their head in their home countries.

And then... you get my gist, if precedent be any indication you'd think of American as free-for-all.

Illegal immigration is a crime

I agree.

And by that I mean that the idea that immigration can be "illegal" is a crime.

Last edited:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
And we the people urge the richest company in the world to actually pay its taxes

They do and they follow the laws.

Do you follow tax laws? Do you send the government extra money beyond what you owe? You know like for the children and unemployed?

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
Point is...they can work in American soil and be part of local economy or Apple can invest somewhere else and employ them there....the EU headquarter count already roughly 6000 employees.

A lot of people here think that by getting rid of the competition they will magically become big shots in Silicon Valley.

I sas this very same movie in my country and now I'm force to live and work in Ireland as most companies simply moved, definitely an hassle for them but not a big deal.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
And by that I mean that the idea that immigration can be "illegal" is a crime.

So there shouldn't be any borders and anyone anywhere in the world should be free to go anywhere else they want?
[doublepost=1515705142][/doublepost]
I don't understand why you'd think you have the right to keep the money in your pocket or why it wouldn't be entirely desirable to give "these people" a free ride, or why wouldn't they be entitled to a "free ride".

I can think of quite a few reasons why it would be both morally right and practically useful to transfer all of your possessions to "these people".

You're against personal property rights.

Very, very telling.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Here is the simple solution:

Establish legislation that says if the dreamers started the process to become legal immigrants/citizens during their reprieve, they will continue to be given a reprieve until the process is complete, then if it does not come out in their favor, they leave the country, if it does, they are then here legally and no more issues.

If they did not at least begin the process during the time they were given, then they should leave. If there was not possible way they could have begun such a process, then a process should be added to the legislation for circumstances in which there is no current path and they can be given another 6 months to begin said process.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Yup... We know he's trying to take care of his DACA employees - thus taking the position he has. But nowhere in the link does it say he's paying them cheaply, or used as cheap labor, as some have asserted here.

It's not that far of a jump to see the connection however. It's easier and cheaper to employ people off the books and with cash than not. Cook may not be doing it at Apple central, but I'm sure plenty of apple employees have illegals working for cash in their homes, nannying their kids, ect.
[doublepost=1515711398][/doublepost]
Free ride?? Actually DACA who are of working age are employed at a higher rate than citizens.

That's more a result of welfare being garbage than anything else.
[doublepost=1515711472][/doublepost]
Have we asked Native Americans if any of us is legal by them?

Thus proving the point. History shows what happens when you have an unregulated flow of people coming into an area with no understanding, respect, or desire for what is there already.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I’m not comparing the illegality or legality of their coming. I’m stating the tech companies employ more immigrants than locals. And they come through various ways.

I don’t think green card holders have done anything wrong.
Yet you’re happy to raise some kind of speculative correlation between immigrants working in tech and software quality.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It's not that far of a jump to see the connection however. It's easier and cheaper to employ people off the books and with cash than not. Cook may not be doing it at Apple central, but I'm sure plenty of apple employees have illegals working for cash in their homes, nannying their kids, ect.

Which, if true, has absolutely nothing to do with this story. And that is about Tim Cook along with 100+ other tech CEOs taking a stand for their employees.

Hat tip to Mr. Cook and other CEOs standing up.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Which, if true, has absolutely nothing to do with this story. And that is about Tim Cook along with 100+ other tech CEOs taking a stand for their employees.

Hat tip to Mr. Cook and other CEOs standing up.

Standing up for breaking the law and ignoring the basic requirements of the nation state. He continues to prove he is a worthless CEO.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Standing up for breaking the law and ignoring the basic requirements of the nation state. He continues to prove he is a worthless CEO.

So the other 100+ tech CEOs who've stood up with Mr. Cook are similarly worthless because they don't adhere to your narrow view of a "nation state?"

Do your principals walk your talk by firmly standing against those worthless CEOs, evidenced by refusing to purchase and use their company's products?

Last edited:

1applerules1

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
I'll go further. There should be some benefit in America for people who obey and respect America and it's laws over people who just ignore the laws and try to take whatever they want without permission.

You can't just give them whatever they try to take and ignore the people who who play by the rules and ask for permission. Otherwise why should anyone ask for permission, you'll have a free-for-all. Why wait for permission when all the people who just take it get what you're asking for ahead of you.
If they want to play by the rules. They need to get out and come back in legally.

Reactions: DevNull0

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
You mean all those people that do the cleaning for you and cheap manual labor cause real damage?

It's the rich parasites that cause real damage in your country. Certainly not the immigrants that actually BUILT your country.

What the hell do you know about our country. Stay out of it.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Fine, they'll get their DACA as long as they give Trump what he wants as well-an end to chain migration, and end to the visa lottery and mandatory E-Verify. You know, things that are actually good for this country

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
So the other 100+ tech CEOs who've stood up with Mr. Cook are similarly worthless because they don't adhere to your narrow view of a "nation state?"

Do your principals walk your talk by firmly standing against those worthless CEOs, evidenced by refusing to purchase and use their company's products?

As much as possible, yes. I have not purchased an apple product in quite some time and I will not support companies that do not support us. I find that most tech CEO's tend to be the most ignorant and naive people on the planet. And my view of a nation state isn't narrow, it's actually the definition. A nation cannot exist without laws and without borders. The number of people who advocate for something different is disturbing.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
His post was not coherent so I don’t need to come up with a response. He had nothing to hold against my original argument.

I had no difficulty reading it and neither did those who liked my comment. Looks like you’re on your own there.

Last edited:

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
So there shouldn't be any borders and anyone anywhere in the world should be free to go anywhere else they want?

Of course! Surely you can't band together and say "hey, this piece of land is ours".

You're against personal property rights.

Very, very telling.

Of course I am, what civilized person isn't.

I used to be a communist, but I no longer identify with that because most communists, even when they support the idea of seizing power with violence, reject the idea of systematic random violence after they're in charge, which I think is a fantastically good idea so that people, living in constant fear, don't have time to think about what toys they lack.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Well, looks like Trump's recent "sh*thole countries" comment seals the deal on the GOP opposing legal immigration too. They just don't want non-whites immigrating because that could hurt them demographically during future elections. That's the sum total of the strategy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.