Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114525-nam_400.jpg

The latest NPD Data as reported by MacDailyNews reveals that Apple has had significant year-over-year growth in their notebook sales.

Apple's notebook marketshare in the U.S. jumped up to 10.6% in Q2 2008. This is up from 6.6% in the year-ago Q2 quarter. Based on the chart, most of that marketshare was taken from Acer and Toshiba.

In absolute numbers, Apple has historically reached as high as 10.1% marketshare for a one month period in January of last year, but the year-over-year trend across a 3 month period still seems notable.

Article Link

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Just think with "new" versions and possibly more aggressive pricing how this could trend.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Up, up, up, and away!

Hopefully this will start to convince software developers (ok i'm currently thinking games) to begin Mac support. Maybe once the Apple market share reaches a certain critical point, they might decide its worth it to market games to Apple users too...

cshale210

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
I wonder what percent of that is students. an incredible amount of kids at my college have macs

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Has to be all those people making the switch!! :D

nope,

it's all the bankers spending the bonusses on a luxury laptop. so expect that marketshare to go down :eek:

seriously, that is good news because that means more and better acceptance of macs even in the business world.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
I wonder what the marketshare is for personal vs. business use of notebooks? Apple must have a much higher share of the personal computing market for laptops. I would reckon that Dell's stranglehold on the corporate marketplace must be weighing down the overall numbers.... :rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It seems to me that Acer makes about the worst Windows laptops, and Toshiba makes about the best. Weird to be primarily taking share from both of them!

I would have thought Apple would make relatively less of a dent in the cheap Acer-family brands (Acer, Gateway, eMachines, Packard-Bell... they're all together now).

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
i agree, however the US economy is in a rut. So even though more people are interested in apple products its going to be hard to see a rise in their stock.

Well, foreign sales make up to some 50% if not more of Apple's revenues...and the US economy will surely become more and more irrelevant in the global context with the continuous rise of the advanced emerging economies; Apple is gonna be wise enough to profit from that.

And yeah, this jump proves once more that MS is DEAD. And Acer is the next on the list.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Now if only Apple could make a "normal desktop machine" that most people would want they could move their desktop market share up too.

No one except gamers and professionals or people with no money buy desktops nowadays.

Apple got the professionals covered with the Mac Pro. For normal office tasks, the iMac is perfect. But offices will continue to buy Dell because they're dirt cheap, run windows and have nice enterprise support plans.

Gamers... Apple doesn't care about hardcore gamers, got it? Only casual gamers, that's what the iPod Touch is for.

People with no money: Apple does not care about them, period. High margins work well, too. A budget model would either not worth high designing costs or look and operate badly. And an ugly product is bad advertizing.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Don't forget this is overall. IE. if you look at every laptop in America 1/10 will be Macs. If you actually look at the amount being sold Apple they have around a 25% marketshare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.