Apple's U.S. Notebook Marketshare up to 10.6%

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The latest NPD Data as reported by MacDailyNews reveals that Apple has had significant year-over-year growth in their notebook sales.

Apple's notebook marketshare in the U.S. jumped up to 10.6% in Q2 2008. This is up from 6.6% in the year-ago Q2 quarter. Based on the chart, most of that marketshare was taken from Acer and Toshiba.

In absolute numbers, Apple has historically reached as high as 10.1% marketshare for a one month period in January of last year, but the year-over-year trend across a 3 month period still seems notable.

Article Link

2. wavelayer macrumors member

3. G5power macrumors 6502

Just think with "new" versions and possibly more aggressive pricing how this could trend.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Up, up, up, and away!

Hopefully this will start to convince software developers (ok i'm currently thinking games) to begin Mac support. Maybe once the Apple market share reaches a certain critical point, they might decide its worth it to market games to Apple users too...

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Wait, that's 1 in every 10 laptops?

that's great news! Maybe autodesk will finally make a mac version... or not :rolleyes:

6. Clayne macrumors 6502

sweet! Now just release the new ones, and bump that up a notch.

7. Col127 macrumors 6502

8. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I was going to say the same thing. The thing is, the entire market is doing very bad.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

Now if only Apple could make a "normal desktop machine" that most people would want they could move their desktop market share up too.

10. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Has to be all those people making the switch!! :D

11. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

i agree, however the US economy is in a rut. So even though more people are interested in apple products its going to be hard to see a rise in their stock.

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

unless faithful mac users are buying two or three laptops at a time or if outer space aliens are suddenly buying apple laptops in bulk, i think you're right! ;)

13. cshale210 macrumors member

I wonder what percent of that is students. an incredible amount of kids at my college have macs

14. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

here here Damn you apple update the MAC MINI at least!!!!!!!!!!!

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

nope,

it's all the bankers spending the bonusses on a luxury laptop. so expect that marketshare to go down :eek:

seriously, that is good news because that means more and better acceptance of macs even in the business world.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Good time to buy if you ask me.

17. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I switched from Toshiba to Apple in 2004 =)
    Best decision I ever made.

18. davidangel macrumors member

19. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I wonder what the marketshare is for personal vs. business use of notebooks? Apple must have a much higher share of the personal computing market for laptops. I would reckon that Dell's stranglehold on the corporate marketplace must be weighing down the overall numbers.... :rolleyes:

20. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It seems to me that Acer makes about the worst Windows laptops, and Toshiba makes about the best. Weird to be primarily taking share from both of them!

I would have thought Apple would make relatively less of a dent in the cheap Acer-family brands (Acer, Gateway, eMachines, Packard-Bell... they're all together now).

21. 50548 Guest

Well, foreign sales make up to some 50% if not more of Apple's revenues...and the US economy will surely become more and more irrelevant in the global context with the continuous rise of the advanced emerging economies; Apple is gonna be wise enough to profit from that.

And yeah, this jump proves once more that MS is DEAD. And Acer is the next on the list.

22. Aranince macrumors 65816

It'll go up once they release those darn Macbook Pros :rolleyes:

23. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

No one except gamers and professionals or people with no money buy desktops nowadays.

Apple got the professionals covered with the Mac Pro. For normal office tasks, the iMac is perfect. But offices will continue to buy Dell because they're dirt cheap, run windows and have nice enterprise support plans.

Gamers... Apple doesn't care about hardcore gamers, got it? Only casual gamers, that's what the iPod Touch is for.

People with no money: Apple does not care about them, period. High margins work well, too. A budget model would either not worth high designing costs or look and operate badly. And an ugly product is bad advertizing.

24. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Don't forget this is overall. IE. if you look at every laptop in America 1/10 will be Macs. If you actually look at the amount being sold Apple they have around a 25% marketshare.

25. specialbuddy macrumors member

currently in the same situation so I know what you mean.