Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nov 6, 2007
I don't know if you noticed, but our economy is slipping into a recession, no stock is doing well right now.

More like depression...... News came out today that tech sales are going to decline majorly for the remainder of this and next year and Christmas shopping is going to see a 17-20% decline this year according the the local news this morning in my area.

News also reports we have the worst economy since the 2001 terrorist attacks and some analysts are starting to even state that we are headed for even more of a fall - and no matter who becomes president we may not see a recovery in 4 years...

Unfortunately with the price of the bare necessities for survial going up - many luxury items are going to decline heavily. the government is not helping either making people switch to digital TV. But it is all prophecy anyway...

I think this is what apple meant by smaller margins. I think in order for Apple to stay competitive they will have to cut prices in order for people to look at their computers. This could be a positive. i mean if Apple with all their Billions in revenue takes the approach of slacking off on making money, lowers prices, and sells more macs - then more people will switch to them and when the market turns around, they will be the majority.

tough times calls for tough measures. Slack back a little on profits to make yourself more competitive and you will see your customer base increase.

We already know Apple has the best hardware, the best OS, and more software companies are noticing and writing the best apps for OS X. So now is the time for Apple to say "ok, lets decrease our profits a bit and increase our sales power"

Just a thought....

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
The EU is already the largest economy in the world, and the UK the largest contributor to the World Bank (helped by the exchange rate, which in turn is a result of nobody having any faith in the US Economy. Little demand for USD).

On top of that, there is the promise of emerging economies like India and China.

The US is past its boom. Banks are falling over each other to be taken over or file for bankruptcy. Massive companies like AIG lost their chequebooks on the bus. Everything's falling apart. No international consumer goods producer would focus on selling to the US market. People are going to be hit so hard by the capitalist machinery, they're going to find it hard to eat.

Exactly, but you forgot to mention two other powerhouses such as Brazil and Russia in your list.

In fact, apart from the usual stock market tumble and exchange rate fluctuations derived from speculative movements, Brazil is firing on all cylinders and not giving a damn about a crisis that was created in the US and for the US...

What is amazing is that there are still people that will vote for continuation of the same ridiculously incompetent republican financial policies...all those hundreds of billions are coming from nowhere but the pockets of taxpayers, until credibility in the dollar finally stops countries from financing the gigantic US external debt...simply unbelievable.

But coming back on topic, Apple is already selling a LOT in foreign markets and will do even more in the coming years...well, they'd better do so for its own sake. :rolleyes:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I wonder when AAPL will improve...:(

Two points: First, everything is doing badly on the stock market at the moment. Second, the share price of any company is based on the profits that they make right now, and the market's expectations how profits will change in the future. Apple's share price includes some significant growth expectations, so right now Apple needs to grow just to keep its share price where it is.

cvballa

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
More like depression...... News came out today that tech sales are going to decline majorly for the remainder of this and next year and Christmas shopping is going to see a 17-20% decline this year according the the local news this morning in my area.

News also reports we have the worst economy since the 2001 terrorist attacks and some analysts are starting to even state that we are headed for even more of a fall - and no matter who becomes president we may not see a recovery in 4 years...

Unfortunately with the price of the bare necessities for survial going up - many luxury items are going to decline heavily. the government is not helping either making people switch to digital TV. But it is all prophecy anyway...

I think this is what apple meant by smaller margins. I think in order for Apple to stay competitive they will have to cut prices in order for people to look at their computers. This could be a positive. i mean if Apple with all their Billions in revenue takes the approach of slacking off on making money, lowers prices, and sells more macs - then more people will switch to them and when the market turns around, they will be the majority.

tough times calls for tough measures. Slack back a little on profits to make yourself more competitive and you will see your customer base increase.

We already know Apple has the best hardware, the best OS, and more software companies are noticing and writing the best apps for OS X. So now is the time for Apple to say "ok, lets decrease our profits a bit and increase our sales power"

Just a thought....

If you listen to last quarters conference call you would have seen that apple seems to understand that. They predicted shrinking margins going forward which will most likely mean price cuts across most products. You have already seen that with the Ipod line and they showed they understand that price points are important when they negotiated the low price for the iphone. Look for the macbooks to be much lower in price. Possibly a model in the 799-899 price point.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Wow, I'm surprised, with how outdated and expensive their laptops have been for the past year.

Of course, for some people, money is no object.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
If they don't UPDATE their laptops soon, you'll see those number falling instead of rising. Seriously, it's been 6 or 7 months since the last MBP update! New technology is waiting and they are not doing anything with it. Apple is going to get left in the dust hardware-wise. The only reason to buy an Apple laptop now is the form factor and for OS X. If you want Blueray or current offering from Intel you have to go elsewhere.

HD303

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
Observatory Park
Am I the only one who thinks this is not all that great? Larger market share = more virus attacks and all that stuff that comes with being a popular OS.

Is that what everyone wants, Apple to be the dominant computer maker?

I prefer the smaller smarter concept of the company. Oh, and AAPL sure doesn't think it's all that great.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
:confused: Am I confused by this, or did I miss something. What do you mean "now that Dell is HP/Compaq"???? Did Dell get bought out or buy them out? or were you referring to the interesting article to hep out developing countries and teaming up together to built low cost computers for them....

Oops that was a major mistype on my Part

What I meant is HP is now HP/Compaq or "Compaq + HP" or whatever they are calling it.

HP corp. now owns Compaq and Compaq machines are through HP's company. It's HP/Compaq

Dell is separate altogether, they are independent.

Sorry for the mistake.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Am I the only one who thinks this is not all that great? Larger market share = more virus attacks and all that stuff that comes with being a popular OS.

Is that what everyone wants, Apple to be the dominant computer maker?

I prefer the smaller smarter concept of the company. Oh, and AAPL sure doesn't think it's all that great.

That is an interesting point. I think Apple will, and always will stay "small"/er due to the fact that they restrict licensing for their OS to only run on Apple computers, thus regulating the driver market for their machines. That said, all intel Macs can now run Windows, and when running Windows you risk the whole world of Windows based viruses on the net affecting your Windows partition and corrupting/crashing it or whatever. On the Mac side, the virus/spyware world has been relatively nonexistent (for the most part) because those coding the malware don't see the reward in putting an effort to make a piece of malicious software that will only bring minimal results once activated to attack computers. Those criminal coders want to make one script or program that will maximize their feedback (usually sensitive data from other machines) so they think (low amt. of people use Mac, it wouldn't matter, plus Mac programs are alot harder to code and find the security loopholes to work) so we are not seeing it. And cross-my-fingers, hope to God, that we never will.

So the answer is:

#1 Hacker/malicious coders don't see benefit in coding for Mac
#2 It's just too hard to code such a program that will work with Mac security and UNIX framework. (ie harder to code UNIX than a M$ vbware script)

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
woot! the finest notebooks on the planet....

dell and hp seemed to maintain, while acer's went down hill

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
Is this...10% of all laptops currently in the U.S. are Macs or, 10% of all macs sold in quarter 2 of this year were Macs?

Either way, nice job Apple...

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Exactly, but you forgot to mention two other powerhouses such as Brazil and Russia in your list.

Russia is included in EMEA. And Brazil? I think you need to read the Economist's review. It's growing but it's a long way from being a powerhouse.

But coming back on topic, Apple is already selling a LOT in foreign markets and will do even more in the coming years...well, they'd better do so for its own sake. :rolleyes:

No they're actually not. They're primarily a North American company with limited interest abroad. Apple have still failed to break into the top 5 in EMEA which is the biggest computer market in the world.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
QUOTE: Apple's notebook marketshare in the U.S. jumped up to 10.6% in Q2 2008. This is up from 6.6% in the year-ago Q2 quarter.

Sounds good. However, this does not provide Apple with any incentive to improve MB & MBP or to drop prices. :-(

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
Russia is included in EMEA. And Brazil? I think you need to read the Economist's review. It's growing but it's a long way from being a powerhouse.

No they're actually not. They're primarily a North American company with limited interest abroad. Apple have still failed to break into the top 5 in EMEA which is the biggest computer market in the world.

What is EMA?

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
chanting: Price drop!! Price drop!!

Aw, c'mon, Steve Jobs. Lower the price of your computers. 500 dip Tuesday, 450 today. Lehman Brothers going "pfft!", AIG borrowing $85 billion (USD) from the U.S. gov. and it isn't even Friday yet.

Let's make late-2008 the year the economy crapped out on everyone and Apple was forced to slash the prices of their computers (not those stupid iPods and iPhones, since they're more a luxury than a necessity) for a limited time and it was one of the once-in-a-lifetime experience to buy a computer on-the-cheap and a lot of people took advantage of it. so Apple could ride over the hump of it all! :D

I wanna be the lucky ones in 2017 to say I bought a MacBook Pro at $600 off its MFRP.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Aw, c'mon, Steve Jobs. Lower the price of your computers. 500 dip Tuesday, 450 today. Lehman Brothers going "pfft!", AIG borrowing $85 billion (USD) from the U.S. gov. and it isn't even Friday yet.

Let's make late-2008 the year the economy crapped out on everyone and Apple was forced to slash the prices of their computers (not those stupid iPods and iPhones, since they're more a luxury than a necessity) for a limited time and it was one of the once-in-a-lifetime experience to buy a computer on-the-cheap and a lot of people took advantage of it. so Apple could ride over the hump of it all! :D

I wanna be the lucky ones in 2017 to say I bought a MacBook Pro at $600 off its MFRP.

New Prices for Fall 2008

New MacBook:

1794-Liberty-Cap-Right-rev.jpg

MacBook Pro:

two_cent_rev.jpg

MacBook Air:

large_cent_1847_n10_rev.jpg

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
nope,

it's all the bankers spending the bonusses on a luxury laptop. so expect that marketshare to go down :eek:

seriously, that is good news because that means more and better acceptance of macs even in the business world.

I work for a large investment bank and you might be surprised by the extent of technological ignorance and 'fear' of all things Apple that still exists in the industry. It's not based on any kind of logic that would otherwise be a prerequisite for Market trading. Instead business prefers to spend huge sums on people, armys of them to develop, administer and maintain the basic infrastructure that already exists in much better software like OSX. As a user I would dearly love to see the kind of consistency, shape and form evidenced by Apple's x-code instead of the mish-mash of half-working ideas inflicted on us by the windows and linux camps. I hear it every week, some bloke in IT advising his client not to buy Mac for reasons most of you on here would roll over laughing at. Apple needs to target the IT industry more before business will get the chance to find out how the other 10% live!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.