Apple's Upcoming 'Time Bandits' Series to Be Directed by Taika Waititi

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Taika Watiti, known for his work on "Thor: Ragnarok," will direct Apple's adaptation of Terry Gilliam's 1981 fantasy television series "Time Bandits," reports Variety.

Apple acquired the rights to the "Time Bandits" series back in the summer of 2018. The original show featured the story of an imaginative 11-year-old boy named Kevin who was sucked into a fantastical adventure with a band of dwarves during the Napoleonic Wars in Italy.

Kevin and the band of dwarves travel through time using a magical map, visiting ancient Greece, the Titanic, and more, all while fighting off an evil being intent on stealing the time travel map.

The original film starred John Cleese, Sean Connery, Shelley Duvall, Kenny Baker, David Warner, Ian Holm, Katherine Helmond, Jim Broadbent, and others.

[​IMG]

In addition to "Thor: Ragnarok," Waititi is known for his work on "What We Do in the Shadows" and "Hunt for the Wilderpeople." He is also directing a "What We Do in the Shadows" television series for FX.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming 'Time Bandits' Series to Be Directed by Taika Waititi

2. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

This is promising news. Probably the first I’ve heard that makes Apple’s foray into tv/movies that sounds intriguing.

3. Attirex macrumors 6502a

Time Bandits movie is an often-overlooked gem. Love it.

Millennials: Time what movie? Is it on Grindr?

4. Khedron macrumors 65816

5. KazKam, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019

KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

It's a great movie, but I'm skeptical they'll be able to capture the same "magic" the original movie had.

Maybe it'll be clever and quirky and whimsical in its own way, but so many times when studios try to recreate the unintentional/unexpected successful formula of a cult hit/classic, they inevitably screw it up.

For example, I have a hard time seeing today's uber-PC Apple letting a cast of dwarves beat the crap out of and berate each other, which is, of course, hilarious to watch in the movie.

6. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Fingers crossed this won't hinder the production of seasons 3—300 of Carpool Karaoke. :(

7. cmaier macrumors G5

Let’s tie it all together. They should do a carpool karaoke with Flight of the Concords.

8. cardfan macrumors 68000

9. apolloa macrumors G4

Christ, a programme I’d actually want to watch! It Apple needs to back off and let those creators create and not micro manage them.

10. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Apple the movie studio … didn't they once make computers?

11. boodle macrumors regular

boodle

I am here for this like nothing else. Get the Map!

12. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Taika Waititi, a promising director. His work on "What We Do in the Shadows" was really well done. I can't wait for his take on Time Bandits.

13. cmaier macrumors G5

Haha! Good one. Because it’s impossible to do two things at once! I like it.

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

This post just made my day! :) Really dug the lesser-known films the Python band was involved with, including Time Bandits and The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen. :)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2019 ---
    I tried chewing gum and crossing the street once. Ended up permanently altering traffic patterns in the area. Would not recommend.

15. cmaier macrumors G5

I was a brain surgeon, but one time I mowed my lawn and now I can only be a gardener.

16. jedifaka macrumors regular

jedifaka

Sure wish the movie industry - even the newest studios - would let go of the obsession with remakes. People are out there writing scripts all the time. Surely there's something worth making. Something we haven't seen before.

17. NMBob macrumors 6502a

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The original movie was well done.

It is very rare that a series, made from a movie, does well. I doubt this time will be any different.

19. notabadname macrumors 65816

notabadname

Looks promising - Spielberg style - youthful adventure - time travel. If it works, the concept and it’s ability to bounce through history, has lasting potential. The more new players jump into the streaming business, the more choices the consumer gets.

20. cmaier macrumors G5

You know apple is also working on numerous original series, right?

21. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

OK, but then why is your icon a Lego Jedi?

22. russofris macrumors regular

Will the new Time Bandits series be available on Netflix, or Hulu?

23. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

24. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

Instead of people saying "watch this; it recreates the magic of the original" how about they say "watch the film that came out 38 years ago; it's still a classic and doesn't need "re-imagining"".

25. boodle macrumors regular

boodle

Waititi is the only director I can think of who has a chance of doing this right. :)